The NCAA Tournament Thread

I am well aware of how much 3 feet, much farther than any inbounder moves in CBB! I have yet to see an inbounder move a step and a half or so in any direction, or about one and a half feet except after made baskets

Last edited:
Keep looking. Your observation of college basketball has nothing to do with it. I'm not guessing here. I'm telling you what it is.
Oh, ok, I very rarely listen to people who take arrogance to an art form. I never said you were wrong but obviously you think you are above being questioned.

Takes so long, breaks rhythm of game for player & fans. Soon you will have as revenue from these pauses; “State Farm Review of the Moment”
And it allows for free timeouts. Teams should not be allowed to huddle up with coach especially if no timeouts are left.

Hmm.
Logen v Beast?
Carmine v. Logen?
Beast v. Logen AND Carmine?
Somebody call the WWE or WWF or whatever it is...
No, just seemed weird to me that in all the games I have seen I have never seen that “rule” taken advantage of, conversation over though.

Here is the rule from the NCAA rule book:
Rule 7
Out of Bounds and the Throw-in
Section 6. Throw-in - Requirements
Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:
a. The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented
disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-11.1.a through .c.
b. The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.
c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until
the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in
effect for a throw-in.

Here is the rule from the NCAA rule book:
Rule 7
Out of Bounds and the Throw-in
Section 6. Throw-in - Requirements
Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:
a. The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented
disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-11.1.a through .c.
b. The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation.
c. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until
the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in
effect for a throw-in.
So he was right, but again, beyond strange to me I have never seen the allowed movement used by any coach

So he was right, but again, beyond strange to me I have never seen the allowed movement used by any coach
I’ve watched a gazillion games and never noticed that when a team starts a new possession in the front court the shot clock is set at 20 seconds instead of 30. Called this out in one of our games when I thought we we wronged and Mug Costanza pointed the rule out to me. Shortly thereafter soon those circumstances played out in a game I was watching and Mug had the rule correct.

Where they are standing when the refs give it to them, they have 1.5 feet in either direction. It’s essentially the same space that would be covered with a legal jab step if they were restricted to general pivot rules. Not much of a difference advantage wise.

Also a chance some refs might not be familiar with the rule (sorry Carmine and many others) and call an infraction.

So he was right
Sadly, if I had to summarize my posting style in one line it would be: "Too much quantity...too little quality." However, on the bright side I never post what I don't know about. When I write 'Daniss Jenkins is a good guard'- it's because I've watched him play many times and know he's a good guard. When I write 'the Acc is good this year and Pitt, like SJ's, deserves a bid' - it's because I've watched every Acc team play and every Pitt game and know it's true. When I write 'there is no traveling on an inbounds play and you're able to move in a 3 foot wide spot' - it's because I've reffed thousands of games and take 2 rule tests a year. What you call 'art form arrogance' - I call knowing what I know and sticking to it. If I write it on here - just take it to the bank. Similarly, you'll never see me comment on recruiting or portal transfers because I know nothing about that.

Last edited:
Where they are standing when the refs give it to them, they have 1.5 feet in either direction. It’s essentially the same space that would be covered with a legal jab step if they were restricted to general pivot rules. Not much of a difference advantage wise.

Also a chance some refs might not be familiar with the rule (sorry Carmine and many others) and call an infraction.

Think of the center of the 3 ft as your nose. Your shoulders are almost at the 1' area of the 1.5' in either direction. That gives you about 6" in either direction or as CA said about the length of a jab step.

Think of the center of the 3 ft as your nose. Your shoulders are almost at the 1' area of the 1.5' in either direction. That gives you about 6" in either direction or as CA said about the length of a jab step.
That’s what I said in the post you replied to 😆

Back