The Airing of the Grievances

This is crazy talk. Scheyer had 2 draft picks last year, his first year as head coach. This year, 2 Duke players are expected to be lottery picks.
Remind me: who was the last player Pitino got into the draft?
Completely premature to make any kind of judgment on Scheier's ability as head coach to develop guys for NBA, positive or negative. He has only coached 2 years. He does have a .750 winning percentage and is 4-2 in the dance but given where he is coaching, hard to base too much on that. He certainly hasn't been anything close to a flop though.

I sense a move to “Scheyer produces pros, Pitino on the other hand, only a bunch of average Joes” thread shortly.
You are completely twisting my post. My point is that this is a "what have you done for me lately?" world and Pitino hasn't had a player drafted in 7 years. And he's up against programs like Duke for these recruits.

You are completely twisting my post. My point is that this is a "what have you done for me lately?" world and Pitino hasn't had a player drafted in 7 years. And he's up against programs like Duke for these recruits.
I wonder how many scheyer would have had at Iona. Hmmmm.

I am guessing Clayton will possibly be in the nba. And who knows. Maybe Jenkins.

Sorry mods. Realize this is kadary thread after I posted.

Again: who was the last player Pitino got into the draft? Scheyer will have 4 in the last 2 years.
This isn't a knock on Pitino--I love him. But to dismiss Duke / Scheyer as being an inferior breeding ground to SJU/Pitino for NBA players is ludicrous
Hate to take this thread off the rails, but feel it’s quiet enough to point how unaware this post is.

I think that theory is fact.

K was the best blue blood coach in recent memory X's and O's wise. But his major flaw -- stubbornness -- did cost him games that he could have won.
Sorry, but that's ridiculous to me. K, Self, Williams, Few, Calipari...all great coaches and developers of talent. If we had coaches with half of there acumen the last 40 years we wouldn't have a program that hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in a generation

Sorry, but that's ridiculous to me. K, Self, Williams, Few, Calipari...all great coaches and developers of talent. If we had coaches with half of there acumen the last 40 years we wouldn't have a program that hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in a generation
Agree. The idea that guys like K, Self, Dean Smith, Wooden, Williams and whoever couldn’t coach and develop players imho is nonsense and to a large degree jealousy from fans of schools not so lucky to have those kind of coaches. Sure the recruiting budget and school rep is big but the school rep is earned over time.
When we moved down here and my youngest was in middle school/ high school, the sports event that drew the most interest among his classmates was not the Super Bowl or World Series but the two UNC - Duke games and there is something cool about that imho.

Agree. The idea that guys like K, Self, Dean Smith, Wooden, Williams and whoever couldn’t coach and develop players imho is nonsense and to a large degree jealousy from fans of schools not so lucky to have those kind of coaches. Sure the recruiting budget and school rep is big but the school rep is earned over time.
When we moved down here and my youngest was in middle school/ high school, the sports event that drew the most interest among his classmates was not the Super Bowl or World Series but the two UNC - Duke games and there is something cool about that imho.

So now we're comparing some of the greats of all time to Sheyer? Just kidding. I think the blanket statement made about blue blood coaches is very inaccurate but you can't argue that much of their successes started with filling the rosters with better players than the rank and file coaches throughout the NCAA. There are surely a bunch of guys long forgotten by guys who only watch the final four and st johns who were great developers of mid level talent. I think the point is Sheyer doesn't have to do that because of the image created by K which like most of the coaches above was accelerated by systemic graft.

So now we're comparing some of the greats of all time to Sheyer? Just kidding. I think the blanket statement made about blue blood coaches is very inaccurate but you can't argue that much of their successes started with filling the rosters with better players than the rank and file coaches throughout the NCAA. There are surely a bunch of guys long forgotten by guys who only watch the final four and st johns who were great developers of mid level talent. I think the point is Sheyer doesn't have to do that because of the image created by K which like most of the coaches above was accelerated by systemic graft.
Agree completely with your last two sentences but would add that a number of the blue blood coaches got their jobs at the blue blood schools due to coaching success at non blue blood schools. Scheyer and Davis of course don’t fall into that category and have proven little either way at this point.

Agree completely with your last two sentences but would add that a number of the blue blood coaches got their jobs at the blue blood schools due to coaching success at non blue blood schools. Scheyer and Davis of course don’t fall into that category and have proven little either way at this point.
I just read the last page. Guessing the outcome is no good if we are off topic.

Seeing we are off topic. My son officially committed to SJU. Class of 28 :)

Back