Student support.... PATHETIC...... at game

Who do you mean by "they", MSG clearly doesn't care where non-students sit. As for St. John's all you need is a student ID to get student tix, the school has no control over who the students give the tickets to (I am only referring to the Garden). I should clarify, I categorized grad students (to which our group applies) as non-students. I am pretty sure that the non-students you see in the student sections probably have a student buy the tickets for them. That's my guess.

I was referring to they as St. John's. I didn't realize you were grad students. I'm a grad student myself. And yea I'm sure the non-students in there have students buy the tickets for them. The school really needs to reform the way they give out student tickets. It creates large empty pockets of the student section and encourages re-selling.

With bar code scanners virtually eliminating counterfeit tickets, it would be relatively easy to create student only lanes where bar code scanners could recognize a student section ticket, and by policy require showing a student ID to gain entrance. A scanned student ID could add points to the system as well. Whatever the solution, the school could prevent resale of student tickets to non-students if they were so inclined.

I'm surprised no one has shown up to the games wearing paper bags over their heads, or did that happen yet?

I have tried to get a group of alumni to go to the game, people that have graduated within the last 5 years and the responses that i get are "id rather allocate the ticket money to eating and drinking at a bar watching the game"

Morale is very low among fans and until we win this will not change. look at what happened with the Nets, its no different here.

That doesn't make it any less pathetic. The Nets are getting paid to play for fans. Not as strong a connection as there should be to students and alumni. Students and alums should be fans unconditionally, especially students. It's part of the college experience.

I'm surprised no one has shown up to the games wearing paper bags over their heads, or did that happen yet?

I have tried to get a group of alumni to go to the game, people that have graduated within the last 5 years and the responses that i get are "id rather allocate the ticket money to eating and drinking at a bar watching the game"

Morale is very low among fans and until we win this will not change. look at what happened with the Nets, its no different here.

Your buddies are missing a really fun group.

That doesn't make it any less pathetic. The Nets are getting paid to play for fans. Not as strong a connection as there should be to students and alumni. Students and alums should be fans unconditionally, especially students. It's part of the college experience.

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but when I purchase additional game tickets (over my season tix) in the 100s, I am amazed that I am paying $75 a ticket to watch college basketball. That's approaching the realm of a broadway ticket. I wouldn't be shocked if the price of a good ticket will keep some fans away even when the program is flying full mast.

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but when I purchase additional game tickets (over my season tix) in the 100s, I am amazed that I am paying $75 a ticket to watch college basketball. That's approaching the realm of a broadway ticket. I wouldn't be shocked if the price of a good ticket will keep some fans away even when the program is flying full mast.

We're talking students paying for student tickets.

I don't buy any tickets since I'm in LA but every time I get to town during the season, which happens less and less now, I make sure to buy tickets and I'm sure I'd be a season ticket holder if I still lived there.

I feel the same way. I have the lesser package so I'm in the 200s, but through ticketmaster extra tix in my section are $55 and as far from center court as the 200s go.

I can't pinpoint what exactly, but a more competitive pricing map might increase ticket sales.

I feel the same way. I have the lesser package so I'm in the 200s, but through ticketmaster extra tix in my section are $55 and as far from center court as the 200s go.

I can't pinpoint what exactly, but a more competitive pricing map might increase ticket sales.

I don't have a lot of respect for the marketing capabilities of those running the show at SJU, athletics or otherwise. In nyc people have a ton of entertainment options. A pair of SJU season at $1200 is beyond the reach of many alumni - I'm not sure that the season ticket count will ever return to a sold out CA the way it was for a period in the mid to late 80s with those prices. Even if it does, it would be sad to think that a rabid Redmen fan couldn't afford season tix. As late as 2008, my season tix in the loge behind home plate at Shea cost about $35 per game to watch a team with a payroll of $130 million. To pay $75 to watch amateur athletics is very hard to justify comparitively.

For those paying attention to Red White benefits, the higher donations were all but stripped of hospitalities, which I feel is another bad move by the AD. Although costly, those hospitalities are the sort of thing that make alumni feel intimately tied to the university, and can be a catalyst for more donations. As a result, I stil havent written a RW check for this year, but probably will, begrudgingly.

I don't have a lot of respect for the marketing capabilities of those running the show at SJU, athletics or otherwise. In nyc people have a ton of entertainment options. A pair of SJU season at $1200 is beyond the reach of many alumni - I'm not sure that the season ticket count will ever return to a sold out CA the way it was for a period in the mid to late 80s with those prices. Even if it does, it would be sad to think that a rabid Redmen fan couldn't afford season tix. As late as 2008, my season tix in the loge behind home plate at Shea cost about $35 per game to watch a team with a payroll of $130 million. To pay $75 to watch amateur athletics is very hard to justify comparitively.

For those paying attention to Red White benefits, the higher donations were all but stripped of hospitalities, which I feel is another bad move by the AD. Although costly, those hospitalities are the sort of thing that make alumni feel intimately tied to the university, and can be a catalyst for more donations. As a result, I stil havent written a RW check for this year, but probably will, begrudgingly.

I agree 100%!
Even at CA the prices have gone past the price point that young alums in their 20's find expensive compared to all the other area colleges. It may be fine for some older alums with deeper pockets but I feel for the younger fans that are being priced out. I am hoping the AD comes up with more creative packages for students especially so that in the years ahead when this program takes off the Garden and CA will be packed. 6,900 at MSG last night was pathetic. 

While single game tix may be expensive for face value at MSG not all tix are expensive.

First off season tix start at $275 a pop. I have them in a group of 6 and we sit in 220, not a bad deal at all if you ask me. For 17 home games thats ruffly $16 a game and a great deal. Im 26 and graduated in 07 so I really dont think there pricing anyone out of tickets. Only the fans of aopposing teams that buy single game tix to msg that cost 75 a pop. If you buy season tix and sell the games you can't go to it still makes complete sense to get season tix...

And you can still get single game MSG tix for $23 a piece after all fees.. Just go to ticket master and use the code STJPLUM I found that on the Cuse boards for our game agianst them, but it works for all our home games. you just need to buy tickets in even numbers.

Also there is always stub hub where you can usually get an MSG tix for $25 - $30 including fees. 

While single game tix may be expensive for face value at MSG not all tix are expensive.

First off season tix start at $275 a pop. I have them in a group of 6 and we sit in 220, not a bad deal at all if you ask me. For 17 home games thats ruffly $16 a game and a great deal. Im 26 and graduated in 07 so I really dont think there pricing anyone out of tickets. Only the fans of aopposing teams that buy single game tix to msg that cost 75 a pop. If you buy season tix and sell the games you can't go to it still makes complete sense to get season tix...

And you can still get single game MSG tix for $23 a piece after all fees.. Just go to ticket master and use the code STSTJPLUM I found that on the Cuse boards for our game agianst them, but it works for all our home games. you just need to buy tickets in even numbers.

Also there is always stub hub where you can usually get an MSG tix for $25 - $30 including fees.

Great advice for the young fans. Your last paragraph should be a sticky.

Forget picking on the students. Our overall fan base is pathetic. All our fans do is sit on their hands. God forbid somebody says something you get a glare from some alumni/fan who wants to watch the game in complete peace and quiet. 

Whatever number of students that are there make more noise than the rest of the collective crowd.

I tend to think that this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. SJU for years has had an undershowing of students and alumni/fans supporting the shool at mens basketball games. I graduated in 07 and I remeber being so depressed that more students would turn out for a friday night soccer game than a baskeball game....

Both of these groups our to blame we need more pople to show up at games. Remeber the students that do show probably look up at the thousands of empty seats and think wow the 161K alumni really dont show their support do they?

But there is one major factor that will get both these groups to increase attendance... WINNING... This is not Cincinati or Louisville we will not get 10k a game regardless of who were play because were the only game in town. There are plenty of things to do and to attract fans again we must win! But be pacient we are only 10 months away from that.

Not an excuse but some of the large colleges Like Duke N Carolina Syracuse have a lot of students living on campus so they attend Also they have great teams Not saying our team will not be great but success fills seats

If you have a student ID it costs 10-15 bucks at the box office. I am still a student (grad school) and you get up to 2 tickets with that. However, these days, everyone in their 20s still has their college ID on them, and they haven't even checked my ID once this year. I walked up at 645 last night and got 3 $10 tickets for student discount in really good seats bc they give you the best available at that time.  

Last night near the end of the game the student section was chanting "Big 10 sucks" at wvu players. Good job guys. :)  

Apparently SJ is not alone when it comes to fans not showing up. From ESPN today:

Pittsburgh gets a win, but fans stay away
January, 26, 2012
JAN 26
10:10
AM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Eamonn Brennan
Seven straight losses to open Big East play. A defense allowing opponents well over a point per possession. The usually impenetrable Peterson Events Center and the rowdy fans that inhabit it have borne witness to five -- count 'em, five -- home losses in 21 games. Coming into the season, Pittsburgh was 149-12 in the Pete.

In short, it's been the most un-Pitt of Pitt seasons in 2012, as Jamie Dixon's team, long a haven for underrated prospects blossoming into veteran stalwarts, has suddenly run short on defensive stoppers, ball handlers and glue types. The result has been the Panthers' worst year in memory, a rare plunge for one of the nation's most consistent programs. Needless to say, no Pitt fan is used to this.

Perhaps it's understandable, then, that the Panthers' fans weren't exactly out in force at the Pete on Wednesday night. Pittsburgh got a win -- its first in Big East play, and its first at home since the Dec. 23 loss to Wagner -- 86-74 over Providence. Previously injured point guard Tray Woodall combined with shooting guard Ashton Gibbs for 39 points, 13 assists and just two turnovers in the win. As Pittsburgh news goes in 2012, this is exciting stuff.

Unfortunately, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ron Cook, the signs of promise in the Pitt backcourt were witnessed by a startlingly small Peterson Events Center crowd -- a sign of the current tough times in Panthers' program. To wit:
It was hard to believe it was The Pete.

It was sad, actually. [...]

You easily could count the number of people sitting in the 100 courtside seats in the 12 luxury boxes. The Oakland Zoo -- the arena's famed student section -- was only a third full despite tweets earlier in the day urging kids to get off their "arse" and come out to support their struggling team. Eight minutes into the game, ushers still were moving fans down from the upper levels to make the lower bowl full. That might have happened over the years for some of the one-sided non-conference games against the likes of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Houston Baptist and Maryland-Baltimore County, but I can't remember seeing it at a Big East game. I also can't remember coach Jamie Dixon nearly begging -- OK, lobbying -- for the fans to come out, as he did Jan. 16 after Pitt's loss at Syracuse. He and his program have been much too successful to have to do that.

Cook draws a larger conclusion from this information: Namely, that Pittsburgh is a tough pro sports town, that it's hard to gain traction as a college entity here, and once you have it -- as Pitt hoops obviously has -- all it takes is one losing season before the attendance starts to dry up. That's a shame, but it appears to be the reality. There also seems to be a trend of great student sections simply not showing up these days. Between the Zoo and the Cameron Crazies (who are struggling to get 700 kids in a 1,200-seat section some nights), let's hope this doesn't become a thing. Of course, it's easy to turn up for a big game, or when your team is riding high in the Big East. It's a lot more difficult to show up and support your peers when they're struggling.

Last night near the end of the game the student section was chanting "Big 10 sucks" at wvu players. Good job guys. :)  

Actually, it was "Big 12 sucks", since that's where West Virginia is going, but considering how many teams are in each league right now, they probably should switch names.

If you have a student ID it costs 10-15 bucks at the box office. I am still a student (grad school) and you get up to 2 tickets with that. However, these days, everyone in their 20s still has their college ID on them, and they haven't even checked my ID once this year. I walked up at 645 last night and got 3 $10 tickets for student discount in really good seats bc they give you the best available at that time.  

Do you know many schools with big time programs do not charge for student tickets, which are offered for free on a lottery basis on a GAME BASIS ONLY. it seems to me that our student support has been so poor that the school figures by offering $99 season tix that at least those kids will show up to support the team. In the past we couldn't give away tickets for students. In the future free student tickets on a lottery basis may vastly improve student support of a top team, and distribute more support among the student body in general.

Back