Student support.... PATHETIC...... at game

There were more G Town students at the game then St. John's students. What a disgrace. And don't give me this garbage about our mid semester break, we are still primarily a commuter school, right?

I was also at the game with my wife and 2 boys. The St. Johs crowd seemed to be alum with families very few students. The G'Town fans looked to me to be alum from the area and a large group of students. I was shocked at how few St. Johns students where there. What does St. Johns do to promote these games on campus? How do they market the games to the students? Because it was sad to see all those empty seats behind the basket in the St. Johns section.

Forget picking on the students. Our overall fan base is pathetic. All our fans do is sit on their hands. God forbid somebody says something you get a glare from some alumni/fan who wants to watch the game in complete peace and quiet. 

Whatever number of students that are there make more noise than the rest of the collective crowd.

I have had season tickets now for 14 years. The student interest has been falling off year by year. I remember waiting in line to get good student seats for the garden..if I got there a day late the seats were way back. Now...even on days when we play at Carnasecca....there is always space for more. If this was Duke a lot more students would be packing those two small spaces. As far alumni is concerned........nobody really cheers on the team.....a few may try....but no-one joins in....almost like they are embarassed......BUT.....if we miss a lay up or make a bad pass....all you hear are complaints. When the only cheers you hear are from the "cheerleaders" that's pretty sad. I am not sure what the solution is....Student tickets are already cheap...and alumni/season ticket holders...you already paid for the seats, the least you could do is get into the game.

I know some people will say "the tickets are too expensive" "The Giant game was coming on on 5 hours" "the kids were on break". "it was cold"

Considering this is a "commuter" school and many,many alumni live in NYC...and this was one of the bigger games of the season....on a Sunday...and we are a basketball town.......what's the excuse for not filling it up? If they can fill up the Carrier dome on a WED where the economy SUCKS.....why cant we?

I can't imagine what it will be like for the Syracuse game....

BTW....there 161,000 living almni from St. John's...and we can barely get 5,000 students/alumni
to see a game on campus.

If it were not for the Alumni there would be nobody at most of these games. It is up to the students to fill in the seats behind the baskets as we did when it was our turn.....until that happens then students should just be grateful that the Alumni are in the stands. It is also hard to cheer at a 20 point blow-out ........

If it were not for the Alumni there would be nobody at most of these games. It is up to the students to fill in the seats behind the baskets as we did when it was our turn.....until that happens then students should just be grateful that the Alumni are in the stands. It is also hard to cheer at a 20 point blow-out ........

When we were up 13-5 you can hear a pin drop.

The alum should cheer a bit more but the real onus in on the students. Heck this is YOUR time. You are letting a lot of chances for memories fly by the board. The team got down yesterday after Mo fouled out and they really needed a perk of enthusiasm from the crowd. I mean they came within 3 points late in the game. But there was really nothing to speak of. I was wondering what Keady might have been thinking. All his years at Purdue and the enthusiasm of those fans at home games versus silence in MSG. But to all you students, stop blaming the alum, at least we get to the game. Get your butts in those seats and open your mouths

Forget picking on the students. Our overall fan base is pathetic. All our fans do is sit on their hands. God forbid somebody says something you get a glare from some alumni/fan who wants to watch the game in complete peace and quiet. 

Whatever number of students that are there make more noise than the rest of the collective crowd.

I tend to think that this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. SJU for years has had an undershowing of students and alumni/fans supporting the shool at mens basketball games. I graduated in 07 and I remeber being so depressed that more students would turn out for a friday night soccer game than a baskeball game....

Both of these groups our to blame we need more pople to show up at games. Remeber the students that do show probably look up at the thousands of empty seats and think wow the 161K alumni really dont show their support do they?

But there is one major factor that will get both these groups to increase attendance... WINNING... This is not Cincinati or Louisville we will not get 10k a game regardless of who were play because were the only game in town. There are plenty of things to do and to attract fans again we must win! But be pacient we are only 10 months away from that.

As an alumnus, I took 6 people to the game (although one is a G'Town grad).

Good crowd at the alumni gathering hosted by Billy Schaeffer and Mel Davis. The Red and White Club also had a good showing. 

Fr. Harrington was at the game sitting behind the St. John's bench with Fr. Maher.

Saw Jeff Allen before the game. PA announcer said there were several former St. John's basketball players at the game including Sean Muto, Tarik Turner, and Tom Wedock.

I have had season tickets now for 14 years. The student interest has been falling off year by year. I remember waiting in line to get good student seats for the garden..if I got there a day late the seats were way back. Now...even on days when we play at Carnasecca....there is always space for more. If this was Duke a lot more students would be packing those two small spaces. As far alumni is concerned........nobody really cheers on the team.....a few may try....but no-one joins in....almost like they are embarassed......BUT.....if we miss a lay up or make a bad pass....all you hear are complaints. When the only cheers you hear are from the "cheerleaders" that's pretty sad. I am not sure what the solution is....Student tickets are already cheap...and alumni/season ticket holders...you already paid for the seats, the least you could do is get into the game.

I know some people will say "the tickets are too expensive" "The Giant game was coming on on 5 hours" "the kids were on break". "it was cold"

Considering this is a "commuter" school and many,many alumni live in NYC...and this was one of the bigger games of the season....on a Sunday...and we are a basketball town.......what's the excuse for not filling it up? If they can fill up the Carrier dome on a WED where the economy SUCKS.....why cant we?

I can't imagine what it will be like for the Syracuse game....

The Cuse game is gonna be an absolute nightmare. I can already hear the Let's Go Orange chants...

As an alumnus, I took 6 people to the game (although one is a G'Town grad).

Good crowd at the alumni gathering hosted by Billy Schaeffer and Mel Davis. The Red and White Club also had a good showing. 

Fr. Harrington was at the game sitting behind the St. John's bench with Fr. Maher.

Saw Jeff Allen before the game. PA announcer said there were several former St. John's basketball players at the game including Sean Muto, Tarik Turner, and Tom Wedock.

And they didn't mention Felipe who scored more points than all the other "legends" who were there. Good job by the athletic dept. on that. :blink:

I tend to think that this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. SJU for years has had an undershowing of students and alumni/fans supporting the shool at mens basketball games. I graduated in 07 and I remeber being so depressed that more students would turn out for a friday night soccer game than a baskeball game....

Both of these groups our to blame we need more pople to show up at games. Remeber the students that do show probably look up at the thousands of empty seats and think wow the 161K alumni really dont show their support do they?

But there is one major factor that will get both these groups to increase attendance... WINNING... This is not Cincinati or Louisville we will not get 10k a game regardless of who were play because were the only game in town. There are plenty of things to do and to attract fans again we must win! But be pacient we are only 10 months away from that.

Similar boat to you. I graduated in 04. I have had season tickets every year since 2000 but the more I go to games the more I don't want to. It sucks seeing more fans of another team. And it sucks seeing ppl sit on their hands. Sit on your hands at home then. I thought we turned the corner last year but obviously we didnt.

Winning cures everythng. Fans were into it and attending games last year becasuse we had a great season and beat 6 top 25 teams. Day in and night out fans knew we could beat almost anyone. This year its a differnt story. we are shorthanded and will be lucky to win a handful more games. I do hwowever support the team s much as possible but living in NC makes attening games regulary almost impossible. Howver I watch every game on TV and have followed the team for the last 20 years and have watched almost every single, season after season. Even when things were worse than they are now. I am trying to get tickets for the game at Cameron and go every year they play at Duke along with making a trip up To Phlly for the Nova game or NY at least once or twice a season to attend a game. With that being said students and alumni in and aorund the metropolitan area you have no excuse to not go. if I can make it to 2-3 games living in NC you hjave no excuses. This team needs our support now more than ever. The future is bright. We are New York's team, we are St. John's!

Similar boat to you. I graduated in 04. I have had season tickets every year since 2000 but the more I go to games the more I don't want to. It sucks seeing more fans of another team. And it sucks seeing ppl sit on their hands. Sit on your hands at home then. I thought we turned the corner last year but obviously we didnt.

This has always been a big event city. I've been going to games since the mid 80s and the only times we have been able to match Syracuse, Georgetown or UConn fan for fan is when we are in the top 25. That is the difference between having 6,000 fans rooting for ST John's or 10,000 fans rooting for St John's.

When we were up 13-5 you can hear a pin drop.

We were in shock

Can we just sticky this since we're apparently gonna have one of these threads after every damn home game? This is such a tired and redundant argument already. You people need to stop saying "there's 20,000 undergrads and it's largely a commuter school, where is everyone?!" The people that commute don't give a damn about anything at this school, it's just community college to them. They come for class and they go home. This is also, what, the 2nd most diverse school in the country I believe? Do you think any of the asians in the large pharmacy department give a damn about our basketball team? This isn't some large state school in the middle of Florida. It's an extremely diverse school in an extremely diverse non-college town. This is just simply the way it is at St. John's. I don't know why any of you honestly expect much more of a student turnout during winter break than what we've gotten. And whoever said the student turnout has gotten worse over the years must not go to any games because the student support has only grown over the past 3 years or so. When we're not on break the student sections at Carnesecca are packed to capacity and students that arrive a littler later are forced to sit on the sidelines because there's no more room for them. The student sections were packed at every game last year at MSG.

The people who continue to say things like "if it wasn't for the alumni the place would be empty, it's the students who need to be better!" are just getting ridiculous. BOTH could be better. But what I DO know is that the students are the only one's who make any damn noise. Where were our fans yesterday when we cut it to 3 points in the 2nd half? NO ONE stood on their feet and made any noise!! Someone talked about how demoralizing it must be for the players/staff to see empty seats in the student section during break, well how freakin demoralizing do you think it is for them when they're making a run to try and come back against a top 25 team and rival, and STILL the fans are sitting on their hands quietly?

The bottom line is this argument is so dumb already. The students could be better and the alumni/fans can be better and we saw last year the affect that winning has. Fans and students showed up and were into it. Anyone still blaming the students or vice versa is extremely ignorant and frankly pretty stupid.This isn't anywhere close to a college town so to expect us to be like Duke/Kentucky/etc is unrealistic, but I have no doubt in my mind that once we're a consistent top 25 team in a few years our crowds will consistently be like they were last year, if not better.

Also, judge the students after the Nova game next week. School isn't in session until Wednesday so the out-of-towners are still out of town.

Back