Student support.... PATHETIC...... at game

It is really sad.. there were plenty of times that i was the only person cheering and yelling.. i sit close enough for the players to hear, but its horrible. Even if its a blow out, cheer for the kids, curse at G-Town, just make some noise, yell at the refs, anything. Oh St Johns is down 20, lets all be quite and sit on our hands?? That makes no sense. The refs were horrible enough that even down 20, there was something to yell about.

Somebody has to say something to the refs at these games. Lord knows that Dunlap doesn't.

It is really sad.. there were plenty of times that i was the only person cheering and yelling.. i sit close enough for the players to hear, but its horrible. Even if its a blow out, cheer for the kids, curse at G-Town, just make some noise, yell at the refs, anything. Oh St Johns is down 20, lets all be quite and sit on our hands?? That makes no sense. The refs were horrible enough that even down 20, there was something to yell about.

Somebody has to say something to the refs at these games. Lord knows that Dunlap doesn't.

Actually, and I hate to say it, I think most of our games have been well-reffed; haven't seen much to argue about.

Actually, and I hate to say it, I think most of our games have been well-reffed; haven't seen much to argue about.

I mostly agree, but sometimes as a coach, you just have to show you're players that you are fighting for them, and there were a few times in both the Louisville and Georgetown games where Dunlap didn't do that, IMO.

That being said, I, as a fan, am not going nuts on non-fouls called on the opposition this year, unless it's very obvious. If the refs are letting our opponents play defense, then chances are they are letting us play defense as well, and a half where both teams are in the double-bonus doesn't bode well for us, with our lack of depth.

I predicted this thread would be made in that last one following the Louisville game. I'm just going to copy and paste that post because obviously it applies here as well.
I would just like to add that in addition to everything I said in the post, you guys are comparing schools that are in the Top 25/ Top 10 year after year to a team that wasn't relevant for a decade. When they got back to the rankings last year, suddenly the Garden was loud again. When that happens again, it'll be packed again. Until then, get over it.

Here's my previous post.
The reasoning that we should have tons of students showing up during break isn't a realistic one. I am currently a sophomore living on campus. I live on LI during breaks and have attended every game since the start of freshman year.

Regardless of what some of you believe, there are a good number of students from outside the area. These students are the ones you find caring for the program. They're the ones who came to St. John's for the "college experience" of going away to college and cheering on their school team. The commuters you guys rag on to come to games? They haven't come in the past and they're not going to start now. They treat STJ like a second high school - making no effort to get involved in anything outside of classes. **I'm sure there are commuters who aren't like this, but it is the majority.**

So, yes, I actually DO have a good number of friends who are currently in California, not to mention Mass, CT, PA, Michigan, Florida..the list goes on. They're the ones who have the season tickets, not the kid working two jobs and living with his parents in Queens.

At the Pitt game last year, the entire student sections on both sides behind the basket were filled to capacity. That was a combination of the rise of the team AND the fact that the game was during the semester. This year, there are far more student season ticket holders and I assure you it will be on display come late January and February.

One last note: Don't expect there to be a good student crowd against Georgetown. We're still on break and on top of that Georgetown students aren't. They're sending up 100 students in addition to alumni trips.

So here's to a great semester of tons of student involvement and some good wins. Lets go redmen!

I believe Redmen010 100% in what he says. I still find it hard to believe that a majority of the students who attend St. John's are not from the greater NY area. Also, the students living at home with 2 jobs are the same students who for years would attend the games in year's past, especially during the break (remember the Holiday Festival back in the 90s)? So what's happened to those students? To me, those are the students that I can't understand, not the ones Redmen010 refers to. 

I've also said this in prior posts, I can't for the life me understand the attitude of "lets wait until they are good again or a Top 25 team before we can support them". Given what Lavin & Co gave us last year as far as a great season and what looks like a solid future in the works, is all the more reason to support them NOW.

First I would like to say that Dunlap did get into it w/ the ref during this game at least 2X. The ref came over and got in his face at one point. But I do agree it is not the norm.
Also thanks for your response to my question about what the school does to promote the game. Maybe more discussion and air time on the campus radio might help. Something to get the students fired up about a promising and upcoming team. As always winning helps; remember the Garden exploding during the Pitt and Duke game last year and that was after 1/2 season of success. All I know is that nothing can replace that youthful exuberance at a college basketball game. I graduated in 77' to old to jump up and down and act crazy (lol) I do however lose my voice at every game I attend. We need the students to help provide that atmosphere. I know it is coming, the sooner the better though!

That's a cop out. We were not always great but when I went to school, the student support was LOUDLY there. I used to ( and still do on occasion) leave the arena with no voice for days. Stop excusing the students for an obvious lack of school spirit and an athletic department that seems to o little to support as such.

I mostly agree, but sometimes as a coach, you just have to show you're players that you are fighting for them, and there were a few times in both the Louisville and Georgetown games where Dunlap didn't do that, IMO.

That being said, I, as a fan, am not going nuts on non-fouls called on the opposition this year, unless it's very obvious. If the refs are letting our opponents play defense, then chances are they are letting us play defense as well, and a half where both teams are in the double-bonus doesn't bode well for us, with our lack of depth.

There are better ways to show your players you support them then arguing with refs for the sake of arguing; in fact I think that is very counter-productive.

There are better ways to show your players you support them then arguing with refs for the sake of arguing; in fact I think that is very counter-productive.

Yes, there are many ways. I'm not advocating yelling, screaming, or getting thrown out of the game. But, as a coach, you can point out something you don't like to the referees, and do so in a civil manner. It might by you a call or two later in the game. Dunlap just stands there and takes it.

Yes, there are many ways. I'm not advocating yelling, screaming, or getting thrown out of the game. But, as a coach, you can point out something you don't like to the referees, and do so in a civil manner. It might by you a call or two later in the game. Dunlap just stands there and takes it.

As I have not seen many bad calls I'm not sure what you mean by "just stands there and takes it." But to prolong this, I have seen Dunlap talk to the refs many times during the course of the year. We can agree to disagree, IMO criticizing him for his demeanor towards refs is much ado about nothing.

I pretty much guarantee that if we had just one loss and were ranked in the top 5, the student sections would be packed with "loyal", "rabid" "fans". The truth is that the loyal following of St. John's attendees who have been there through thick and thin number about 2500. This season shows some promising moments, but right now MSG and CA isn't the place to be. Don't worry. When we return to the top 25 next season, the "loyal" fans will return also. 

So any of you guys want to figure out where all the students came from today? I'm sure it had nothing to do with out of state students being back for the new semester or anything. :lol:  

There were clearly more students but nothing to brag about. I sit in the student section behind the basket, there were scores of empty seats. The 2 rows in front of me were all but empty. Don't believe, just check out all the give away t-shirts me & my buddies collected because they were just sitting on empty chairs...in the 2nd half mind you.   I'd hate to think what the attendance would have been if all of the Nova fans had not shown up.

Were the Ts the ones that said "True Fan" I chuckled because they obviously weren't going to say "Real Fan". ; )

There were clearly more students but nothing to brag about. I sit in the student section behind the basket, there were scores of empty seats. The 2 rows in front of me were all but empty. Don't believe, just check out all the give away t-shirts me & my buddies collected because they were just sitting on empty chairs...in the 2nd half mind you.   I'd hate to think what the attendance would have been if all of the Nova fans had not shown up.

Just curious, how do you get those tickets in the student section? I see the same non-students with seats in the student section all th time and it befuddles me.

That's where our season tickets are. We have a group of students and non-students 

Interesting, I didn't know they let non-students buy with students and sit in the student section. Do they charg yu the student price?

Who do you mean by "they", MSG clearly doesn't care where non-students sit. As for St. John's all you need is a student ID to get student tix, the school has no control over who the students give the tickets to (I am only referring to the Garden). I should clarify, I categorized grad students (to which our group applies) as non-students. I am pretty sure that the non-students you see in the student sections probably have a student buy the tickets for them. That's my guess.

Who do you mean by "they", MSG clearly doesn't care where non-students sit. As for St. John's all you need is a student ID to get student tix, the school has no control over who the students give the tickets to (I am only referring to the Garden). I should clarify, I categorized grad students (to which our group applies) as non-students. I am pretty sure that the non-students you see in the student sections probably have a student buy the tickets for them. That's my guess.

I was referring to they as St. John's. I didn't realize you were grad students. I'm a grad student myself. And yea I'm sure the non-students in there have students buy the tickets for them. The school really needs to reform the way they give out student tickets. It creates large empty pockets of the student section and encourages re-selling.

Back