St. John's-Georgetown, Game II Game Thread

Just got home from the game, sat 4 rows up from half court. When you are that close you realize how fast these kids really are, impressive on both sides.

Have to give Georgetown credit they hit a big shot every time we made a run, without fail. Some have mentioned that our 3 point defense is horrid, but being at the game I didn't think so. Georgetown rotated the ball beautifully and found the open shooter, who always seemed to make it. We were in their face, but like Harrison they made them..

Harrison get off his shot so fast, wait until he gets a point guard to set him up, the same with Harkless.
As many have said, Achiuwa is a step slow and tentative which hurt big time down the stretch.

Amir Garrett has an attitude like Harrison, very tough on the boards and on defense, is not intimidated at all. The Georgetown fans all around me were asking about him, but obviously needs some offensive skills, but believe he can be more than adequate in this area. Love his upside.

Pointer a physical specimen great speed, but no natural offensive skills. Greene just needs time, I think he can be a really nice contributor in the future.

All in all the best team won today, but I like our future, providing some more talent comes our way, No great newsflash. Georgetown fans were blown away by Harrison, we need Branch and a skilled big man!

In this corner MCNPA and MDinkins-in the red corner ILLWILL and John12. Must admit I read all the posts so I guess I found it entertaining although I had sports on the TV at the same time so maybe to characterize it as entertaining is being charitable. But the reason I am weighing in is to suggest that for those of you that don't enjoy these posts why not just scroll down and skip them as I do with what I consider overly long posts. I believe this is a better solution than banning posters for so called flaming the board. You cannot be inflamed unless you allow yourself to be-you can exercise some self control. Banning people for their point of view is not what this country stands for or is all about. As a great American (?) once said, "Can't we all just get along".

This young, thin team played a very good game against a highly ranked team on the road. They should be proud even though it was a loss. Next year w more reinforcements they are going to be dangerous.

In this corner MCNPA and MDinkins-in the red corner ILLWILL and John12. Must admit I read all the posts so I guess I found it entertaining although I had sports on the TV at the same time so maybe to characterize it as entertaining is being charitable. But the reason I am weighing in is to suggest that for those of you that don't enjoy these posts why not just scroll down and skip them as I do with what I consider overly long posts. I believe this is a better solution than banning posters for so called flaming the board. You cannot be inflamed unless you allow yourself to be-you can exercise some self control. Banning people for their point of view is not what this country stands for or is all about. As a great American (?) once said, "Can't we all just get along".

The classic Redmen.com forum as it has been from the beginning. Forum is for fan support of the REDMEN

Bottom line is that guys like John15, illwill and a few others are really killing this board. The constant whining and complaining is almost too much to bear for most reasonable fans of this program. I hope it ends soon.Trust me, I'm not ready to go rah, rah yet. I just think we need anger season or two to rebuild before ripping the job being done by staff and players..

This is by far your most amazing post....... I guess the translation here would be............ you can't have a rational argument based on the facts and since your crude and irrational responses cant cut it, get rid of those who disagree with you, otherwise " we are killing this board".

As ILLWILL stated before, its posters like yourself who are not fans at all, that are killing this site. True fans understand the passion of all fans and while they may not agree, they respect their right to voice their opinion as
they recognize that we are all out for the betterment of the program.

Actually realfan, there's a reason both of you have been banned multiple times on multiple boards. Most notable is that it has been expressed recently that "fans" like yourself are actually hampering recruiting efforts. In the past i
wouldnt have believed it, but in the past few years i have been told several times that it is the case. Besides that, only you and illwill like to read each other's posts...

Now you are making an even bigger fool of yourself then your already have and that's unreal. You are calling me real fan? What proof do you have of that? Oh I get it. It's all part of your plot to try to eliminate me by from the site trying to convince the mods that that is who I am. Well guess why, I ain't he or... He ain't me but nice try. Man you must be tired of being wrong on a regular basis.

So now the site and all redmen fans know your mantra..... If ya can't beat him, get rid of him. :)

The classic Redmen.com forum as it has been from the beginning. Forum is for fan support of the REDMEN

+1
Exactly...it's not about not getting frustrated or annoyed with the team (which is impossible in my opinion with this group of guys) it's just all the flippin negativity that illwill, john, boo etc bring here. How many different ways can you beat a dead horse? Same repetative garbage....can't stand it, makes me not want to come to this board, and this is the only one I come to...john starts threads questioning coach and his top 10 class prediction just to flame...if he wanted to discuss it he couldve just done so in the dang thread that had the interview in it, but no, thats not how he rolls or thats not how he"trolls"

I have no problem with bi-polar fans. I do not want to walk in an Ill Bill's shoes as I would imagine those shoes would always feel too damn tight. I would not want to live in his apartment as that rent would be too damn high. I would not want to sit in his seat at Carnesecca Arena as that seat would be too damn hard. All of which would make me want to write how this team
Is too damn young
Is too damn thin
Knows too damn little about offense....or .....defense
The coaches are paid too damn much
The tickets are too damn expensive
No one, other than me, has no damn clue
We have no damn recruits
We have not progressed but regressed too damn much
So ----- I will shout it out, loud and clear, for all to hear, I am a realist, for all to fear
For I will repeat myself, over and over on every thread, until I am dead
I am a Real Fan, as Ill as I am,
A bi-polar, bi-coastal fan
I will continue to exclaim one good word followed by one bad word
And those words are my mantra, a true St. John's fan...................WE SUCK! 

I shouldn't be going at it with these guys. It's just frustrating to deal with these sorts of characters coming out of the woodwork lately.

Bottom line is that guys like John15, illwill and a few others are really killing this board. The constant whining and complaining is almost too much to bear for most reasonable fans of this program. I hope it ends soon.Trust me, I'm not ready to go rah, rah yet. I just think we need anger season or two to rebuild before ripping the job being done by staff and players..

This is by far your most amazing post....... I guess the translation here would be............ you can't have a rational argument based on the facts and since your crude and irrational responses cant cut it, get rid of those who disagree with you, otherwise " we are killing this board".

As ILLWILL stated before, its posters like yourself who are not fans at all, that are killing this site. True fans understand the passion of all fans and while they may not agree, they respect their right to voice their opinion as

Actually realfan, there's a reason both of you have been banned multiple times on multiple boards. Most notable is that it has been expressed recently that "fans" like yourself are actually hampering recruiting efforts. In the past i
wouldnt have believed it, but in the past few years i have been told several times that it is the case. Besides that, only you and illwill like to read each other's posts...

Now you are making an even bigger fool of yourself then your already have and that's unreal. You are calling me real fan? What proof do you have of that?

Dont blame MCN. I called you out as Realfan first.

Oh wait let me think.... What was Realfan's real name ? Oh yeah that's right his name was John

I shouldn't be going at it with these guys. It's just frustrating to deal with these sorts of characters coming out of the woodwork lately.

Thanks MCNPA.

As a relatively new and novice participant, I cannot quite understand all the resentment filled dynamics but wish we could just have something like an Appomatox II like Thompson II or whatever. I know this is America the land of free speech on college basketball sites and all. But.

Better yet, if someone has such (perhaps extreme or excessive) adversion or distaste perhaps that person could look elsewhere for contentment. There are always other sites, many of them. I think Villanova has one. Yes in fact I know it does and I know some posters thereon are condemning poor, inept Jay Wright. Whatever.

I'm very much enjoying this young team, the promise of other talented hard-working kids, the staff and the fact that we are already light years from the Jarvis-Roberts Dark Ages. Very Dark Ages.

Say, the "bitch and moan" syndrome can even exist at the blessed UCon or UKy or UDuke programs. Stinks of they "ony" make the great eight. Lousy if they "only" make it into the final four without winning it all etc and so forth. perpetual dissatisfaction. The Winter of their discontent. The spring, Summer and Fall of discontent as well.

Wasn't there a church long since closed called Our Lady of Discontent? Or was it Our Lady of Discontented College Basketball Fans?

My memory is evading me. Maybe we should fire Lavin and bench the starting five freshmen. Hey, they haven't been putting those Ws up too often. Whatever. Maybe it's just a pretense, false pessimistic broadcasting to stir up the pot and maybe, just maybe, those protesting are really caring hearts in disguise. Whatever.

all the best  

People don't realize the herculean task it is to beat a top Big East team with 5 freshmen and no bench at all. We should be losing all these games by 30+ on paper. The fact that we threatened til the end is a testament to good coaching and ALL of these kids. No Pointer isn't an offensive superstar, but we have zero upperclassmen to fall back on while these kids develop. We have no bench. People criticizing our play here have lost their minds and doesn't have a clue how woefully overmatched we are depth and experience-wise. We're playing at a level that is waaaay better than a team with only 5 freshmen should play. 

whose fault is it that we have no bench at all?

When you're 10-15, no matter the circumstances, criticism is fair.

Two guys quit on the team mid season, two guys didn't qualify right before the season. In addition we had to replace 12 guys which is real difficult. To say "no matter the circumstances" is silly. Circumstances certainly do matter. That's like me saying "a guy with one leg didn't win the 400M hurdles in the Olympic, but no matter the circumstances, criticism is fair". Our circumstances losing the ENTIRE team entering this season is the biggest reason we're in this spot. Sme unfortunate events with our payers recruits didn't help.

we had three players transfer and two kids academically ineligible. the circumstances were tough, but lavin gets paid millions to handle the tough circumstances and execute. He is ultimately responsible for the transfers and ineligible players. I love Lavin, but let's be fair.

Illwill, IMHO it is you who is not being fair based on the circumstances. Rebuilding is a process and not instantaneous. Lavin is really not responsible for transfers. That is between a kid and his family for their own reasons. Lavin can not force a kid to stay. When a new staff comes on board, often kids transfer. Two kids didn't qualify which was a surprise to the staff. They had the grades. NCAA just didn't believe them and for no reason except distrust said they couldnt clear our 3 kids. They all had the passing grades, but NCAA just said...nah, we're not approving them.

The staff sendtthose kids to that school (drawing a blank on the name) which from my understand (i couild be wrong) hhad a reputation for being shady in terms of grades. Lavin recruited nurideen...if the kid turns out to be a quitter, that is on Lavin!! If he gets credit for bringing in Moe and DeAngelo, he gets blame for kids transferring. bottom line...

I'm being completely fair...Lavin gets paid to recruit and make tough decisions. Rebuilding is a process but i wouldn't be complaining (ok, maybe i would :) ) if we were losing with a full deck. My biggest issue with this team the whole season has been the lack of bodies.

It's tough to recruit 10 great players...but it's not that hard to recruit 10 players (or so) that qualify academically. I haven't even mentioned the kids who have decommitted from our program. But i'll give lavin a pass on gathers cause i think his health had a play with that.

Yep...we all wish we were in better shape. We have been playing with half a team in the Big East. Coach is out recruiting...hopefully a top 10 class...I'll take top 25 though.....at the end of the day this is a tough year, but we are probably set for a more balanced recruiting class going forward if coach can complete his mission. Again, let's wait until May. Until then, let's use the board and support the kids. Also, I'll take the credentials of the current staff versus most school's out there.

For Lavin to say on the Redstorm Report that we will have a top ten recruiting class it has to mean a great deal. Why would he put himself in this precarious situation. He commented with such confidence and you know what - I believe him.

I absolutely love the heart and soul of these kids. And although I've posted my deepest fears and my worst case scenario for next year, my hopes are still very much alive that Lavin can bring in another three kids (even two, if they give us some size) who, in addition to Jamal Branch, have the same pride, mental toughness and character that this team has. 

I absolutely love the heart and soul of these kids. And although I've posted my deepest fears and my worst case scenario for next year, my hopes are still very much alive that Lavin can bring in another three kids (even two, if they give us some size) who, in addition to Jamal Branch, have the same pride, mental toughness and character that this team has. 

And it's normal to feel that way. I get nervous about the fact we only have 6/7 scolly players for next year however I also know that there is 3 months til end of spring signing...there is no way in shell that lavin doesn't get a couple of 100s plus a couple of jucos...he has a track record...its not like he hasn't been to this rodeo before...I'm actually stoked to see what he has up his sleeve...even with this tough year, I have so much excitement....i never know if they are gunna pull out that upset win, however I know I wont miss it if they do...great young men to watch, the future is crazy bright for this program...

MCNPA - I agree with you much of the time, disagree with you some of the time, but all in all respect your balance. You're a good fan. Buying a season or game ticket is no gurantee of a great product, or a great game. Casting blame, denigrating players and administration for the difficulties of this season, in my opinion, is just silly. We started this season at ground zero, an entire roster to be filled from a guy who hadn't coached in 7 years and no infrastructure or relationships in place when he started. Considering the talent he's corraled, it's pretty impressive.

A six man rotation, and these guys on good days give top ranked teams all they can handle. On bad days, well you know the result. Wait till reinforcements come, this will be a very solid squad, and winning with return with regularity.

Some of the trolls will disappear, some will change their tune, and some will continue to gripe. Part of life as a fan.

I mostly ignore them except for the stupid and the nasty.

Now you are making an even bigger fool of yourself then your already have and that's unreal. You are calling me real fan? What proof do you have of that?

Oh wait let me think.... What was Realfan's real name ? Oh yeah that's right his name was John

Wait, let me guess, you're in the detective business right (kind of like my line of work)? Great deduction..... Since my name is John, I must be Realfan. Hmmmmm so I guess that MCNPA must be Marcus Hatten? If you guys only knew how Silly your posts
are. :) :)

Yea,

Wait, let me guess, you're in the detective business right (kind of like my line of work)? Great deduction..... Since my name is John, I must be Realfan. Hmmmmm so I guess that MCNPA must be Marcus Hatten? If you guys only knew how Silly your posts

John, do you realize how toxic and negative most of your posts are? I get it - you paid $600 for a season ticket and are annoyed. I've had tickets for over 30 seasons, and for the most part wonder how quickly they've gone by. Most of those years, I thought my ticket was a bargain, and it was. When you are in a packed Garden and can't hear the person next to you over the roar of an incredible pro St. John's crowd, you know you are witnessing something special.

If you can't wait for those days to return, or don't think they will, cancel your tickets, stop posting here, and take up following something you believe in strongly. Honestly, I don't think posting all of your negativity makes you feel any better, and it certainly annoys some people here who are trying to enjoy this team and season for what it is - a talent laden but undermanned team with absent head coach recovering from cancer.

Take a moment, enjoy a long three by Harrison - perhaps our best outside shooter in a long, long time. Revel in the way that Harkless can dunk on guys with them in his face - something I can't recall another SJU player doing ever. Enjoy Phil Greene gliding down the court at warp speed and threading the needle to a cutting forward.

Yes, we will come out on the short end most nights. Yea when we get into foul trouble, get injured, or are off, we will lose big. That's expected. But don't compare this for one second to the NR years. This is something to build on, and I actually look forward to games. If you don't, message me - I have a couple of kids who would appreciate your tickets.

Nope not in the detective business but usually pretty good at detecting posters and their fake identities when they try to change their screeen name. I'd say you are a middle aged white male probably in his 60's.

You have mellowed out slightly since Realfan posted under that screen name which would lead me to believe you are taking some sort of medication for anger or anxiety. Possibly paxil.

The only thing that you and the original realfan and you dont have in common would be realfans tendency to write like a angry serial killer with all the large cap letters. But being put on some sort of medication would cause me to believe that tendency would go away slightly or if he was trying to hide his new identity by acting slightly more normal.

But the thing that is interesting is your posts just like realfans have evoked a strong send of annoyance amongst many posters in the exact same way even if your posts now are not in largecaps.

Coincidence ? Couple that with me knowing for a fact that Realfan's name was John and also couple that with the fact that Bamafan has kind of come to your defense on the site ( and Bamafan said he was personal friends with realfan a long time ago ).

Further coincidence ?

Nope not in the detective business but usually pretty good at detecting posters and their fake identities when they try to change their screeen name. I'd say you are a middle aged white male probably in his 60's.

You have mellowed out slightly since Realfan posted under that screen name which would lead me to believe you are taking some sort of medication for anger or anxiety. Possibly paxil.

The only thing that you and the original realfan and you dont have in common would be realfans tendency to write like a angry serial killer with all the large cap letters. But being put on some sort of medication would cause me to believe that tendency would go away slightly or if he was trying to hide his new identity by acting slightly more normal.

But the thing that is interesting is your posts just like realfans have evoked a strong send of annoyance amongst many posters in the exact same way even if your posts now are not in largecaps.

Coincidence ? Couple that with me knowing for a fact that Realfan's name was John and also couple that with the fact that Bamafan has kind of come to your defense on the site ( and Bamafan said he was personal friends with realfan a long time ago ).

Further coincidence ?

Not to mention, the emoticons being used. I also don't think it was a coincidence that he mentioned Marcus Hatten, in reference to MCN.

Back