SJU Portal Targets

Perform........as in a circus?
Would any of these "student-athletes" give up their university scholarships to help a disadvantaged student not on scholarship?
Doubt it.
The current system has turned college athletes into manipulators who game schools for monetary gains without any performance guarantees. They are vagabonds with no allegiance whatsoever to the schools, coaches or their teammates.
It breeds instability for every college basketball program.
The NCAA and schools have bit off more than they will be able to chew.
And they weren’t performing as in a circus before. How many folks were watching them in person, on TV, video. How much were the schools making from this? They were performing then as it is now, no difference there. The difference they are now being legally paid on top of scholarships.

What does giving up their university scholarship have to do with anything regarding this topic? It is an athletic scholarship that would go to some other person they bring onto the team or maybe a walk-on.

There are stories out there of several players giving back to their communities giving there time and some of there NIL money including one building a school in his native country.

Do you really think this manipulation is new. You don’t think players before were holding out for the highest bidder before, albeit under the table? You don’t think programs were tampering before? Did coaches, AD’s and other administrator’s leave for better opportunities and more money? Do millennials stay with one company for a career? Do companies cut lose long time employees to save a buck? Is instant gratification a thing? Do people still want to “pay their dues”? What you are seeing in college football and basketball (and what is considered some non-revenue sports) is a microcosm of today’s world where loyalty is to the almighty dollar in many places. College basketball and football have always been a big business with a slimy underbelly to it that was discussed and tolerated. It is now out for the world to see. With NIL more money is getting into the hands of more players and legally with no effective restrictions. Is it sustainable, it will be for some but many are expecting a pot of gold and will get a lump go coal instead.

Do I like the way this is going, no, but I am willing to see it out. And while I’m at it I apologize to the moderators and other posters who came to this thread like I initially did for the subject matter and instead see another diatribe about NIL. Maybe we should start a separate thread called “NIL”. Oh, that’s right, we have one. Mods please feel free to move this and I apologize again but just had to get that off my chest and am done with this subject for a while.

The portal is a player's dream. The beat part of a college basketball's experience is being romanced during the hs recruiting process. Now you can that for every year of eligibility.

Imhope these kids have time for all this recruiting and.visit what with finals taking most of their time.

Everyone loves the shiny new thing because it sparks the brain, releases endorphins and gives them outsized hope for the future.

Me?

I'm just thrilled that no one but Taylor has yet portaled.
Don't be sad that that the Glenn Taylor Era is over, be happy that it happened.

Though the way things are going it could happen again - and I would be fine with that!

Yup, and they passed on Kriisa and now back to the drawing board. This is why I hate saying anything

The portal has been open for over a month, closes next week, and we're now going "back to the drawing board?" Despite the rhetoric from Repole/Pitino, Matt. A's supposed connections, we don't appear to be close whatsoever to landing a difference maker for next season. Yes, there's still plenty of time, but as Yogi used to say, "it's getting late early." Things need to pick up, FAST.

i have a couple working theories....

1. What fun is it to make the Dance/noise with a roster full of highly sought out transfers... Rick wants a challenge this late in life.
2. Matt is using Cliff to figure out every schools NIL budget...
3. Rick saw Sha's success with keeping a core together... supplementing it with an ABSOLUTE dynamic player like Dylan... and will mimic that..
4. He will announce his retirement in a week...

Back