SJU Portal Targets

Do we assume a business guy like Repole is a bottomless pit or, although an alum, is concerned with return in investment? Imo, it is folly to think he will fill every recruiting $ void we face. I’m cautious about spending anyone’s $ or depending on it.

Do we assume a business guy like Repole is a bottomless pit or, although an alum, is concerned with return in investment? Imo, it is folly to think he will fill every recruiting $ void we face. I’m cautious about spending anyone’s $ or depending on it.

If I am Repole and a few million doesn’t mean too much, I go all in right now while we have Pitino. I get a few million is a lot but the Pitino window is not going to be that long so I would love to see him go big right now.

Absolutely. More than a little hypocritical to be outraged at suggestions of NIL contributions yet expect Repole to fund every recruit. Don't ever believe in telling people how to spend their money.
As far as Roach not being worth $1.5 million as with anything else in a capitalist world he gets whatever the market determines; maybe Baylor overpaid.

Last edited:
Absolutely. More than a little hypocritical to get outraged for anyone to be outraged at suggestions of NIL contributions yet expect Repole to fund every recruit. Don't ever believe in telling people how to spend their money.
As far as Roach not being worth $1.5 million as with anything else in a capitalist world he gets whatever the market determines; maybe Baylor overpaid.
College athletics is dead. This has become some out of control pro league. With no collective agreement or parameters on spending

Repole put expectations sky high for the fan base. Don’t think it’s fair to blame the fans for taking what he said at face value.
Just saying you can’t expect him to have open check book here no matter the circumstances or what he said. I’d be naive to assume otherwise. Not blaming fan base for anything.

How about this Roach isn’t worth 1.5

It doesn’t seem like we have the NIL to compete with the big boys in spite of assurances from some fans to the contrary.

Maybe we are a tier 2 NIL school but we clearly don’t have lock them up immediately, f*ck you money.

I know nothing. But it seems like I have a different view than many on this board. Whether or not Repole or others are willing to pull out their wallets for anyone less than Lebron Sr., I’m not sure it makes sense to grossly overpay. Think about that guy who said he would pay double for anyone Kentucky wants. Whether true or not it’s laughable.

Also note:

1. Ricky is picky. He wants players that he thinks will put up with his demands, regardless of talent. A sense of entitlement does not square with that.
2. He knows that any outrageous payment could only pose problems with current players and their families. How would the Wilcher family react to learning someone on the team is being ridiculously overpaid. Not only would it cause resentment, making next year’s portal more likely, but it certainly won’t help with the team gelling or cohesion.
3. There are still players left to portal.
4. As noted earlier, a lot of these “kids” are somewhat interchangeable. What risk do you want to take if you know kids are waiting for the highest deal. Maybe you have the highest or nearly the highest when other factors are considered. If you must, you can go back but then there are other considerations.
5. I think they do have a robust budget and they only want to go back to Repole (or the like) if they know that this one player is really going to be a major game-changer. How many kids can they say will guarantee a final four? According to this board, no one.

I’m happy to let Pitino weigh all the options. He knows what he’s facing and wants to do it now. He doesn’t have forever and knows it. But poor decisions have consequences down the line. And he has the facts in front of him. Let him weigh the risks.

That doesn’t mean people shouldn’t speculate about what’s out there, but to get annoyed that we aren’t willing to pay makes no sense to me.

The sport of college basketball has officially become a joke! What made college basketball special was rooting for kids who went to school and played sports . That is not the case anymore now it’s basically the NBA guys going to the highest bidder it’s all about the money they could give a crap what school they are playing for. The mid majors are the only true college basketball anymore and as soon as one of them get noticed they bolt for the payday too there’s no allegiance anymore it’s getting sickening.

The sport of college basketball has officially become a joke! What made college basketball special was rooting for kids who went to school and played sports . That is not the case anymore now it’s basically the NBA guys going to the highest bidder it’s all about the money they could give a crap what school they are playing for. The mid majors are the only true college basketball anymore and as soon as one of them get noticed they bolt for the payday too there’s no allegiance anymore it’s getting sickening.
Definitely a runaway train headed to crash, leaving only super-conference survivors.

They'll rein it in only when they achieve the demise of most basketball-only conferences.

I hope I'm unduly morbid and wrong, and a reasonable solution somehow emerges from the chaos, but I don't see it presently.

Without being just a $marta$$, you need to define “exceeded” because roles obviously change, circumstances change. Ledlum is a great example, is he judged trying to get his feet comfortable early, then probably continuing to play less than 100%, then becoming a very positive player late, where he became a player not looking to score as much but one willing to put on a hard hat.
The other problem in comparing years is Pitino’s unfamiliarity with the players and the up and down minutes and roles they had. Was Dingle thrown off his game by possibly being asked to focus more on defense? Did Alleyne ever get comfortable with a role? Etc., etc…….
Tough year all around IMO for both Pitino and staff and the players. They eventually got it together but……………
I think one of Pitino's selling points is he gets players ready for the next level. Why would anyone who's highly skilled but short of NBA quality come to a school that's been the Depaul of the east? It can't be NIL money. There's obscene amounts being thrown about. I've read that coach spends all kinds of time working on individual player skill sets. I never heard of anyone working harder. He's even admitted he should have done more to have his team learn plays instead. Who knows? Maybe next season. What we do know is none of our upperclassmen are as ready as we hoped. The biggest Pitino selling point has taken a hit, for sure.

You're right. It's been a tough year for both Pitino and staff and the players as well as Father and Repole and most of us. If one player would jump to the NBA...if we had made the dance...if, if, if, next year's story might have been different. My gut is we're in the same place as we were this time last year...praying for miracles.

Guys a few things:

1)SJU has the coach, that is first and foremost the most important thing.
2)Their NIL is competitive it is not ridiculous nor should we expect it to be
3)They are gunning for some high end kids + good fits and that is not easy even with an elite coach
4)But there are plenty of kids in the Portal including top 100 type of kids and more are entering each day. They will find some good one's.
5)They have a plan. They are going to be selective and execute it. Sometimes they will swing and miss.

Lastly if you are feeling anxious SJU can always rehire Mike Anderson and Repole can take his money and go home....

Last edited:
Back