Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

I have a hard time believing that if a kid like Posh said to Rick "coach I am 100% in. I will run through a brick wall for you. I want to be part of what you're building here", that Pitino wouldn't have offered him a spot on next seasons team. I'm not saying that he would be guaranteeing him the starting PG role, but I believe he would be offering him a spot and an opportunity to prove that he deserves to be the starting PG. I use Posh as an example, same could be true for Wusu and others. I could be completely wrong, but that's my sense.

And that's just it. The two kids you referenced will be seniors. It's quite possible they have a bigger role in mind for themselves next year, than Rick has in mind for them unless they earn it. Maybe they feel they deserve something. I have no idea, just speculating.

Very plausible RMW. Except not sure he ran Pinzon out and is running Curbelo out. Those are 2 kids who likely ran themselves out. Also, as 112 alluded to, this sounds like Pitino's way of issuing a warning to all the kids " it's my way or the highway". Drissa and Siriano are clearly willing to do it Rick's way. The others may be unsure.
If you read between the lines, there are many kids on this team causing issues. Curbello and Pinzon went public, but that doesnt mean they are causing any more problems then other kids. This team was not a bunch of choirboys outside of Curbello and pinzon. There are academic issues, hard work in practice issues, respect issues etc etc etc.

We need to stop pinning everything on Pinzon and Curbello. It is many kids on this team. Pitino isnt neccessary doing this, sounds like these kids punched their ticket out of town long ago.

I have a hard time believing that if a kid like Posh said to Rick "coach I am 100% in. I will run through a brick wall for you. I want to be part of what you're building here", that Pitino wouldn't have offered him a spot on next seasons team. I'm not saying that he would be guaranteeing him the starting PG role, but I believe he would be offering him a spot and an opportunity to prove that he deserves to be the starting PG. I use Posh as an example, same could be true for Wusu and others. I could be completely wrong, but that's my sense.

I hope you're right.
I think those two deserve to end their careers at St. John's if they want to.

If you read between the lines, there are many kids on this team causing issues. Curbello and Pinzon went public, but that doesnt mean they are causing any more problems then other kids. This team was not a bunch of choirboys outside of Curbello and pinzon. There are academic issues, hard work in practice issues, respect issues etc etc etc.

We need to stop pinning everything on Pinzon and Curbello. It is many kids on this team. Pitino isnt neccessary doing this, sounds like these kids punched their ticket out of town long ago.

Your posts are full of rumor and innuendo with nothing to back it up.

I go by what I see with my own eyes.

Guys like Posh, Dylan and Omar busted their ass for this team last year. Period. Full stop. The end.

And that's just it. The two kids you referenced will be seniors. It's quite possible they have a bigger role in mind for themselves next year, than Rick has in mind for them unless they earn it. Maybe they feel they deserve something. I have no idea, just speculating.
I think it's a reasonable assumption 112. A new coach, just like a new boss, brings new expectations and sets new standards. Some kids(Soriano, Drissa, Storr?) immediately buy in. Others need some time to think about it, and maybe explore other options before deciding. It's possible that kids haven't entered the portal yet because Rick either hasn't spoken with them yet,
or because he's issued an ultimatum along the lines of "once you enter the portal, I consider you an ex-SJU basketball player". This should all shake out within the next week.

You are not wrong . But , if Clayton jr is coming here and I wouldn’t bet against it , is Posh going to be the PG ? Not likely. If Pitino said to Posh , “ if you sign on to my Program you will likely be my 3 rd guard coming off the Bench and playing 15-20 minutes a game .” Will Posh accept that role ?

You are not wrong . But , if Clayton jr is coming here and I wouldn’t bet against it , is Posh going to be the PG ? Not likely. If Pitino said to Posh , “ if you sign on to my Program you will likely be my 3 rd guard coming off the Bench and playing 15-20 minutes a game .” Will Posh accept that role ?
After I hit "send", I thought about my comment about Rick offering him a chance to be the starting PG. You are likely correct. So let's say that he offered him a chance to play significant minutes. But who knows, maybe Posh could play the 2G with Clayton? He did it very well with Dunn. Regardless my sense is that if Posh wanted in, Rick would not be turning him away.

I bet Macon is in a little bit of a tough spot. Out numbered and probably asked to make or be a part of a few tough decisions regarding the current roster.
Macon is no dummy. He knows he stuck oil with this gig on Pitino’s staff and he is not going to jeopardize it.

And part of his role is doing exactly what may make him feel uncomfortable.

This team was not a bunch of choirboys outside of Curbello and pinzon. There are academic issues, hard work in practice issues, respect issues etc etc etc.

- academic issues: The guys several of us want back played 2-3 years for St. John's without ever being suspended for academic reasons. Meaning they all sustained a GPA needed to stay on the court. Thats why no one is really talking about that. There is no concrete evidence of that. Maybe it'll come

- hard work in practice issues / respect issues: I'm a teacher, and one thing I learned very quickly in this job is that kids are gonna test you and see what they can get away with. You have to be sharp and on point. You have to command control of your class and demand they meet your expectations, and give out appropriate consequences for those who don't. If these issues were widespread with the team, a lot of that has to fall on Mike Anderson. I am not absolving the players from blame, they are much older than my students and should be a lot better and followed Mike A's protocols. (this doesn't mean I am anti-Mike A getting his buyout) but if that was the environment, a lot of that falls on him.

If these players can prove they are willing to sharpen up and do everything Pitino demands of them, then they deserve that chance IMO.

Unless some report comes out that reveals a bunch of wild things about these kids, I am still pro-a few of them returning.

Unlike Curbelo or Posh, I think Clayton can easily play off the ball (2G) with his skill set.

Tend to agree Monte. And also think some of the kids some posters are speculating are out may not be. I’m just going to be patient and see what happens. There are a few kids I’d love to see stay, but will ultimately trust and respect Pitino on roster construction.

Unlike Curbelo or Posh, I think Clayton can easily play off the ball (2G) with his skill set.
Clayton and Posh would complement each other very nicely and would give us the best defensive backcourt in the conference.

IF Posh won’t be back—which we have no clue on right now—it won’t be basketball related. Posh would excel in Pitino’s system.

Firing a coach for cause is extremely difficult to do. It must have been REALLY bad behind the scenes for their lawyers to recommend that course of action knowing it would result in tons of fees, a very public divorce, and bad press for at least a year.

Without knowing who did what off the court, I’d really like to see Posh, Wusu, Storr, Soriano, and Stanley back. I’d love to keep Gardner committed and wouldn’t mind seeing King back—although I think he is easily replaced. Posh could be amazing under Pitino.

Many of you say the players stank because they were poorly coached. Now you're saying the players just stank. At the beginning of the season, I wrote they'd be in the top ten if someone like Pitino coached them. There's talent there. There's hard work that I saw on the court there. These are college kids who came to a shitty program and we were grateful.

I know Pitino is harsh and set in his ways. I remember when Bernard King...one of the best Knicks ever...was rehabbing his badly damaged knee. He insisted on working out in private which rankled Pitino so much that he got rid of him. King returned elsewhere to continue his hall of fame career.

My gut is Pitino should coach most of these kids who gave their all in a bad situation. If he's such a genius he can make noise with them as well as any crap shoot on the Portal..

After I hit "send", I thought about my comment about Rick offering him a chance to be the starting PG. You are likely correct. So let's say that he offered him a chance to play significant minutes. But who knows, maybe Posh could play the 2G with Clayton? He did it very well with Dunn. Regardless my sense is that if Posh wanted in, Rick would not be turning him away.
You make a excellent point in your last sentence . Posh can cause all sorts of turmoil for opponents . The thing is Posh is a limited Shooter and you know Rick is going to want a sharp shooter to play along side Clayton jr . Possibly Storr or some portal player .

Many of you say the players stank because they were poorly coached. Now you're saying the players just stank. At the beginning of the season, I wrote they'd be in the top ten if someone like Pitino coached them. There's talent there. There's hard work that I saw on the court there. These are college kids who came to a shitty program and we were grateful.

I know Pitino is harsh and set in his ways. I remember when Bernard King...one of the best Knicks ever...was rehabbing his badly damaged knee. He insisted on working out in private which rankled Pitino so much that he got rid of him. King returned elsewhere to continue his hall of fame career.

My gut is Pitino should coach most of these kids who gave their all in a bad situation. If he's such a genius he can make noise with them as well as any crap shoot on the Portal..
If I read your post accurately , you are basically saying most of a 8 th place team’s roster should be brought back and Rick could get them to what ? 4 th place ? Pitino wants a team capable of a National Championship and a BE Championship . That would not be last years team . We all applaud our players efforts but We have to go beyond sentiment and recognize this Group would not get us there .

I don't agree with what Rick is doing. I'm a big fan of continuity and think this core can win with him. But I respect his blunt honesty.
No doubt Pitino could win with the players CMA had on team last season. But if you listened to Pitino at his presser he said we will win and win big hence the need to upgrade the roster. I realize winning big is somewhat of a foreign concept to St. John’s fans.

Back