Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Well because he invited Drissa back, who really wasn’t a contributor at any point thus far, my only guess is that much of it is/was social/disciplinary, academic or other reasons and not basketball talent. Pitino said he’s not done talking to them yet and may invite more back so we shall see a bunch more shake out by early next week I assume.

I don't buy the argument that all these guys were bad apples.
And it doesn't really jive that he's keeping the guy who recruited all these undisciplined troublemakers that he doesn't want.
As for Joel and Drissa, he's keeping the best and worst players. That the easiest thing to do immediately.

Rick just wants better, more talented players. This broadbrush stroke that all of them are a mess is not good.

I don't buy the argument that all these guys were bad apples.
And it doesn't really jive that he's keeping the guy who recruited all these undisciplined troublemakers that he doesn't want.
As for Joel and Drissa, he's keeping the best and worst players. That the easiest thing to do immediately.

Rick just wants better, more talented players. This broadbrush stroke that all of them are a mess is not good.
One would have to think Van Macon has some input regarding who stays right? He not only recruited the players but he’s been here through it all so he knows who accepts coaching etc. Pitino could have only watched so much tape to discern skill level and playing style in past years. Macon is a pro who has coached at a high level outside of his time with Anderson so he should have a broader view of what it takes to be a good player at St. John’s and the collegiate level. It’s wild that Pitino is so open about running players off the team. But this is college athletics today and we just hired the best.

One would have to think Van Macon has some input regarding who stays right? He not only recruited the players but he’s been here through it all so he knows who accepts coaching etc. Pitino could have only watched so much tape to discern skill level and playing style in past years. Macon is a pro who has coached at a high level outside of his time with Anderson so he should have a broader view of what it takes to be a good player at St. John’s and the collegiate level. It’s wild that Pitino is so open about running players off the team. But this is college athletics today and we just hired the best.
Perhaps Pitino will value Macon's respected opinion and listen to what he has to say too. That seemed to be a problem with the last leader

Shanley's press conference remarks about shaping young men's lives is more important than winning rings so hollow in light of what's happening.

I'd really love it if someone would just say:

"We want to win and make money. Everything else is gravy.

Shanley's press conference remarks about shaping young men's lives is more important than winning rings so hollow in light of what's happening.

I'm pretty sure Nate Oats and Alabama said that this year without actually saying it with the Brandon Miller situation.

What do you want Father Shanley to say? Show me an introductory press conference that is not filled with platitudes and that will be the first one ever on record.

What do you want Father Shanley to say? Show me an introductory press conference that is not filled with platitudes and that will be the first one ever on record.

Have your actions match your words? Or vice versa?

At least Rick is being honest. He basically said: "We want to win and make money right away. To do that I need to get better players. Thankfully, the transfer portal exists to make it so."

And he's so far acted on his words while not couching it in the sanctimonious pablum of the "student-athlete" and other such PR nonsense.

At end of the day it is up to an individual to shape his own life. You can have the best environment in the world but at end of day it’s up to you on what you do with it. I just care about winning. I root for this team to win and do not care for who has a 4.0 gpa.

Hmmm. If this was actually the case, wouldn't more of the kids be in the portal already? Feels a bit like Pitino trying to make a statement to the current kids on the roster to see who is up for the challenge. If that's not the case, we should certainly see a bunch hit the portal

I get that. I have a soft spot for the Soriano, Posh, and Wusu trio. It would be nice if they could get one last crack at the NCAA tournament.

But I also have come to the realization that this is how all major college sports are run. We just have not witnessed it this closely because the program has been stuck in a pile of sludge for nearly a generation.

Jeez, not many guys coming back at all according to that. I don't think that's a game even Pitino plays without being sure of who he can expect from the portal, whether they've entered yet or not.

As for LuHi, I know Pitino thinks on a whole other recruiting level from what I'm used to for St. John's, but I'd offer Reid as a peace offering for Pinzon and what I assume will be Curbelo.
That's fine with me, most of our roster isn't great.

Hmmm. If this was actually the case, wouldn't more of the kids be in the portal already? Feels a bit like Pitino trying to make a statement to the current kids on the roster to see who is up for the challenge. If that's not the case, we should certainly see a bunch hit the portal today.
exactly my feelings 112.

I think the Drissa thing is the token to LuHi since he is running Pinzon and Curbelo out. Drissa has not had the opportunity to show what he has yet, and was by all accounts a great teammate and bench guy, so no downside to keeping him, and making LuHi happy.
Very plausible RMW. Except not sure he ran Pinzon out and is running Curbelo out. Those are 2 kids who likely ran themselves out. Also, as 112 alluded to, this sounds like Pitino's way of issuing a warning to all the kids " it's my way or the highway". Drissa and Siriano are clearly willing to do it Rick's way. The others may be unsure.

I get that. I have a soft spot for the Soriano, Posh, and Wusu trio. It would be nice if they could get one last crack at the NCAA tournament.

But I also have come to the realization that this is how all major college sports are run. We just have not witnessed it this closely because the program has been stuck in a pile of sludge for nearly a generation.

I don't agree with what Rick is doing. I'm a big fan of continuity and think this core can win with him. But I respect his blunt honesty.

I don't agree with what Rick is doing. I'm a big fan of continuity and think this core can win with him. But I respect his blunt honesty.

I mean, its certainly fair to question his tactic of airing these things out through the media, instead of keeping it in house and dealing with all of this behind the scenes. That being said, I'm not one to question a hall of fame coach lol, I'm just along for the ride at this point!

I mean, its certainly fair to question his tactic of airing these things out through the media, instead of keeping it in house and dealing with all of this behind the scenes. That being said, I'm not one to question a hall of fame coach lol, I'm just along for the ride at this point!
Rick is a master at this. He's airing this because he wants the college basketball world, and especially current and future recruits, to know that there's a new sherif in town. You're either with him or you're not. He's not singling out kids by name, so I've got no problem with this. Of course the snowflakes will be highly offended by these tactics.

i think Rick would be a fan of continuity if he felt that the players on the current roster could play his style and Win. He apparently doesn't.

My best coaches in sports and managers in the workplace were always transparent and set expectations accordingly. If i was slipping- they acknowledged it and challenged me to be better. It's tough to hear at the time, but I am (and think more people would benefit) glad they were honest with me. Luckily I always met the chanllenge and never had to "leave"... (granted it wasn't High Major Hoops with Pitino as coach lol)

Your loyalty to the core group , Posh, Wusu, etc is understood . But , the reality is this team over the Anderson years was mostly a poor team . They had 2 decent wins last year , PC and UCOnn before the Huskies jelled . Other than that they had 5 wins against Butler , G’Town and DePaul . Teams worse than ours . Pitino wants a certain type of skill sets in his players . Anderson didn’t stress much of anything except helter skelter BB that was ugly to watch . Posh , Wusu always played all out in my opinion . But , neither has all the 5 tools needed . I do believe Posh has superior skills in stealing the ball and genuinely being a whirling dervish on the Court . But , he’s a poor shooter at this level . Taller , faster BE guards often blew by him . Wusu also gives 100 percent all the time but , again was part of a 8 th place team . He’s a decent role player but , is he a Pitino player ? We will see who Rick chooses to return . And , Fr. Shanley mentioned turmoil in the locker room and poor Academics in the classroom for some players . We have no idea who he is referring to and probably shouldn’t but , Pitino knows . So do Soriano and Drissa . So does Van . Dealing Rick the players on the Court this season doesn’t translate to great improvement next year and Pitino knows that . Only a few will be chosen . Already have , Soriano , Drissa, Storr so far . I would say it’s better than even money that Clayton jr is coming here . Probably with the starting PG guard position already given .

I have a hard time believing that if a kid like Posh said to Rick "coach I am 100% in. I will run through a brick wall for you. I want to be part of what you're building here", that Pitino wouldn't have offered him a spot on next seasons team. I'm not saying that he would be guaranteeing him the starting PG role, but I believe he would be offering him a spot and an opportunity to prove that he deserves to be the starting PG. I use Posh as an example, same could be true for Wusu and others. I could be completely wrong, but that's my sense.

Back