Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Your posts are full of rumor and innuendo with nothing to back it up.

I go by what I see with my own eyes.

Guys like Posh, Dylan and Omar busted their ass for this team last year. Period. Full stop. The end.
You see the games which is probably less than one percent of what goes on and the amount of time involved. None of us know the whole story that is why Pitino and his staff will all be working extremely hard to put the best roster possible on the court for St John’s next season.

My gut is Pitino should coach most of these kids who gave their all in a bad situation. If he's such a genius he can make noise with them as well as any crap shoot on the Portal..
Many of you say the players stank because they were poorly coached. Now you're saying the players just stank. At the beginning of the season, I wrote they'd be in the top ten if someone like Pitino coached them. There's talent there. There's hard work that I saw on the court there. These are college kids who came to a shitty program and we were grateful.

I know Pitino is harsh and set in his ways. I remember when Bernard King...one of the best Knicks ever...was rehabbing his badly damaged knee. He insisted on working out in private which rankled Pitino so much that he got rid of him. King returned elsewhere to continue his hall of fame career.

My gut is Pitino should coach most of these kids who gave their all in a bad situation. If he's such a genius he can make noise with them as well as any crap shoot on the Portal..
Tough crowd. We are going back to 1987, during Pitino’s first season as Knicks head coach to site his stubbornness.

I do not know how much that was Pitino or Al Bianchi. No secret they did not get along. It would not be surprising if Pitino wanted King, but Bianchi and the ownership at the time, Gulf and Western did not.

Or maybe Pitino was not patient enough with King. His last few games back were not good and maybe Pitino though King would not fit into his pressing style.

But on the flip side, Pitino did help turn a slow-footed and average outside shooting PG from SJU into the rookie of the year.

If I read your post accurately , you are basically saying most of a 8 th place team’s roster should be brought back and Rick could get them to what ? 4 th place ? Pitino wants a team capable of a National Championship and a BE Championship . That would not be last years team . We all applaud our players efforts but We have to go beyond sentiment and recognize this Group would not get us there .
Maybe I'm out of touch. My feeling is they're college athletes who are being thrown under the bus. They were brought into a mid-major pretending to be high major lured by tales of the "great" Big East and playing in "the mecca", MSG. Every one of them had other supposedly better offers, but they came to this urinal on Union and Utopia. I believe in loyalty...not necessarily sentiment.

The out of touch part? NIL has turned college athletes into professional free agents. I can understand going this route. Believe me, no one will be happier them me watching top notch pros playing for high major stakes and relevancy. We are what we are.

If I read your post accurately , you are basically saying most of a 8 th place team’s roster should be brought back and Rick could get them to what ? 4 th place ? Pitino wants a team capable of a National Championship and a BE Championship . That would not be last years team . We all applaud our players efforts but We have to go beyond sentiment and recognize this Group would not get us there .
I think this is the best post on this topic. Love them, hate them, neutral about them, whatever, no amount or different type of "coaching" is going to turn last year's core into a national power, which is RP's immediate goal. They just don't have the elite talent or shooting necessary in today's game. Period. Within the first 24 hours (!) RP has offers out to like five five star elite 1 and done types and these are the level of players who are going to come in and have us contending for the National Championship, perhaps (and likely!) within two or three years. This is an entirely different landscape than anything Posh, Wusu and Stanley et al are capable of. Now, I recognize next season may be more of a transition year due to the late period and I would indeed like to see a handful of these guys back, but after Soriano Storr and perhaps Posh I have a hard time seeing how anyone else remotely fits in with what is to come. I can't harmonize sentimentality after all of these dreadful years with what I suspect is on the immediate horizon.

Tough crowd. We are going back to 1987, during Pitino’s first season as Knicks head coach to site his stubbornness.

I do not know how much that was Pitino or Al Bianchi. No secret they did not get along. It would not be surprising if Pitino wanted King, but Bianchi and the ownership at the time, Gulf and Western did not.

Or maybe Pitino was not patient enough with King. His last few games back were not good and maybe Pitino though King would not fit into his pressing style.

But on the flip side, Pitino did help turn a slow-footed and average outside shooting PG from SJU into the rookie of the year.
Mark Jackson had a lot of talent beyond foot speed and sharp shooting . Pitino focused on that God Talent and raised it another level . Mark saw the whole Court and was a excellent passer and the Knick team he played on with Ewing , etc was a perfect fit for his skills . Louie made a mistake in not giving Mark a bigger role on the 85 team when we had Mullin and Berry together . He kept playing Mike Moses over Mark . Bad decision . Why the Knicks drafted Strickland as number 1 the next year is still beyond me . Almost as poor a decision as Frederic Weis over Ron Artest later on . Rod was a excellent player but , with Mark there already wasn’t needed .

Mark Jackson had a lot of talent beyond foot speed and sharp shooting . Pitino focused on that God Talent and raised it another level . Mark saw the whole Court and was an excellent passer and the Knick team he played on with Ewing , etc was a perfect fit for his skills . Louie made a mistake in not giving Mark a bigger role on the 85 team when we had Mullin and Berry together . He kept playing Mike Moses over Mark . Bad decision . Why the Knicks drafted Strickland as number 1 the next year is still beyond me . Almost as poor a decision as Frederic Weis over Ron Artest later on . Rod was an excellent player but , with Mark there already wasn’t needed .
I agree. This despite sans paragraphs (I kid. I kid.)

Pitino knew he had a high IQ basketball junkie in Jackson used that to put him in situations to succeed.

Drafting Strickland was a bad move. Not because Strickland wasn’t worthy of the pick, but he did not fit.

The Knicks had the building blocks with a PG and a center. Bianchi could have gone in many different directions.

Strickland and Jackson did not gel and even Jackson regressed. It was so bad the fans started taking sides during games as to which of the NYC PGs should play more. And since Strickland was the flashier and more dynamic, he was the fan favorite. It killed Jackson inside.

Things became so bad that Bianchi compounded the mistake by making a bigger one by trading a 23 year old Strickland for an aging Mo Cheeks. When Strickland was worth more in return.

P
Love seeing this. Get the former players back in and excited for the program. Get them on the court playing and talking to the current team too.
This comment by Rick is indicative of his brilliance . Why former Coaches never thought of this shows the elevated Plane the Pitino BB mind is on . Already a number of players we lived and died with are already raising their hands and saying I’m in . DLO being among the first . I think we forget that our former players were as upset with the on Court performance as we were . Pitino has Re energized our former players and wants them supporting the Program as they are part of the SJU family . Only a Elite mind would think of doing this .

I live in NC and have been getting calls and texts from friends that are Duke and UNC fans. They can't believe we got Pitino and multiple have said they know that now they have to deal with us for recruits. Said they would not have been even slightly concerned with any other coaching hire but now the Beast of the East has been woken up and everyone should be worried.

P

This comment by Rick is indicative of his brilliance . Why former Coaches never thought of this shows the elevated Plane the Pitino BB mind is on . Already a number of players we lived and died with are already raising their hands and saying I’m in . DLO being among the first . I think we forget that our former players were as upset with the on Court performance as we were . Pitino has Re energized our former players and wants them supporting the Program as they are part of the SJU family . Only a Elite mind would think of doing this .
Cooley doing same at GT, announced yesterday.

This roster had some talent, but not nearly as much as some think. This is not an either/or situation. It doesn't have to be EITHER Rick brings back all of last year's kids, and adds one or two new players, OR there has to be a complete roster overhaul. My sense and hope is that it'll be somewhere in between. Hoping that in addition to Soriano and Drissa, that Storr, Posh and Wusu return, and that Gardner is still on board. After that, I'm open to an upgrade in talent.

This roster had some talent, but not nearly as much as some think. This is not an either/or situation. It doesn't have to be EITHER Rick brings back all of last year's kids, and adds one or two new players, OR there has to be a complete roster overhaul. My sense and hope is that it'll be somewhere in between. Hoping that in addition to Soriano and Drissa, that Storr, Posh and Wusu return, and that Gardner is still on board. After that, I'm open to an upgrade in talent.
Astute observation (and I am not surprised). 😉

Maybe I'm out of touch. My feeling is they're college athletes who are being thrown under the bus. They were brought into a mid-major pretending to be high major lured by tales of the "great" Big East and playing in "the mecca", MSG. Every one of them had other supposedly better offers, but they came to this urinal on Union and Utopia. I believe in loyalty...not necessarily sentiment.

The out of touch part? NIL has turned college athletes into professional free agents. I can understand going this route. Believe me, no one will be happier them me watching top notch pros playing for high major stakes and relevancy. We are what we are.
Most of the kids who were brought in can play at a high major, they just can't play a major role on a successful high major team. There in lies the problem. The last few seasons we had a roster full of role players, and not enough prime time players, for lack of a better word. Every team needs role players, but role players are a dime a dozen. Prime time players are much harder to come by. Pitino will replace some of our role players with prime time players, and that will make all the difference in the world. That, and Rick's coaching ability.

I agree. This despite sans paragraphs (I kid. I kid.)

Pitino knew he had a high IQ basketball junkie in Jackson used that to put him in situations to succeed.

Drafting Strickland was a bad move. Not because Strickland wasn’t worthy of the pick, but he did not fit.

The Knicks had the building blocks with a PG and a center. Bianchi could have gone in many different directions.

Strickland and Jackson did not gel and even Jackson regressed. It was so bad the fans started taking sides during games as to which of the NYC PGs should play more. And since Strickland was the flashier and more dynamic, he was the fan favorite. It killed Jackson inside.

Things became so bad that Bianchi compounded the mistake by making a bigger one by trading a 23 year old Strickland for an aging Mo Cheeks. When Strickland was worth more in return.
Kran , I believed I was given a EXEMPTION by you regarding Paragraphs ? Have I been mislead ? Since none of your fellow Mods jumped on this issue when it surfaced , I thought I had their support . And , it’s too late for them now to change their ballot . Even if you swayed them astray . Seriously, Pitino’s brilliance was seeing what Mark was capable of being as a Pro . Many did not . And , in my opinion Mark turned out to be the best Pro among Pearl , Kenny Smith , Strickland ..Yet in HS all 3 of them were higher rated . The Artest -Weis draft was another disgrace .

They were brought into a mid-major pretending to be high major lured by tales of the "great" Big East and playing in "the mecca", MSG. Every one of them had other supposedly better offers, but they came to this urinal on Union and Utopia. I believe in loyalty...not necessarily sentiment.
damn some yall are wild disrespectful about our school. Our campus is nice and has improved an absurd amount over the past 20 years.

I live in NC and have been getting calls and texts from friends that are Duke and UNC fans. They can't believe we got Pitino and multiple have said they know that now they have to deal with us for recruits. Said they would not have been even slightly concerned with any other coaching hire but now the Beast of the East has been woken up and everyone should be worried.
I will do you one better.

I have been calls and texts from people I had in my dead pool congratulating me on Pitino and saying SJU will be a destination for top recruits.

I was going to use the earnings to offset my season tickets. Oh well.

Back