Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Coach C would always say, "If you want to win the Kentucky Derby you need get thoroughbreds."

It really is that simple.

How many true thoroughbreds are currently on this team? Time will tell.

This roster had some talent, but not nearly as much as some think. This is not an either/or situation. It doesn't have to be EITHER Rick brings back all of last year's kids, and adds one or two new players, OR there has to be a complete roster overhaul. My sense and hope is that it'll be somewhere in between. Hoping that in addition to Soriano and Drissa, that Storr, Posh and Wusu return, and that Gardner is still on board. After that, I'm open to an upgrade in talent.
I’d like to Jones stay also , the kid has talent and just needs to be coached.

Macon is no dummy. He knows he stuck oil with this gig on Pitino’s staff and he is not going to jeopardize it.

And part of his role is doing exactly what may make him feel uncomfortable.
Unfortunately, most promotions or job changes involve doing things that make someone uncomfortable. You get a chance to join a staff with an incredibly proven track record, you jump on board, regardless. The ship he was on sank 2 weeks ago.

For the record, I would love to see Stanley back. He’s a bit unpolished but he can get after it down low and has a decent jumper for a guy who plays like he does. If Pitino goes out and portals over him, I’m not gonna argue with it, but he’s a guy I can see flourishing with a coach like this.

I will do you one better.

I have been calls and texts from people I had in my dead pool congratulating me on Pitino and saying SJU will be a destination for top recruits.

I was going to use the earnings to offset my season tickets. Oh well.
I had an older guy (an extremely, sharp attorney here in my neck of the woods) say this to me a couple days ago, as I walked into a pub a few minutes from my home, "Holy shit, Dink! Y'all got Pitino! He's one of the top 5 college coaches of all-time IMO! I had a feeling y'all were gonna land Pitino based on the proximity to Winged Foot (yeah, this dude enjoys golfing as well) and his age.... That's a effin' incredible hire! Wow!"

I think the radical change to the roster is more about changing the culture here. I think the removal of players coupled with new players coming in is the quickest way to bring about that change.
yes. this is exactly what it's about. culture. it's most obvious bc Traore is being singled out. he's not a BE player. but you need guys with his attitude that will make the whole team better.

I’d like to Jones stay also , the kid has talent and just needs to be coached.
I could go either way on Jones.Let me clarify, I have much more of an affinity for the kids who've been here for a number of years and/or who committed to us right out of high school.

Last edited:
yes. this is exactly what it's about. culture. it's most obvious bc Traore is being singled out. he's not a BE player. but you need guys with his attitude that will make the whole team better.
The science of Chemistry.
I now wait in hope , every day, to see the
word "COMMITED" next to a picture of our
blue ribbon recruits.
I can almost taste it .

This is the hill I will die on:

Posh can thrive in Pitino's system and deserves the opportunity to show he can.

And for the record: PG Peyton Siva shot .288 from 3 the year Louisville won the whole damn thing, .291 for his career.

I understand your point and the comparison made regarding Posh and Siva not being shooters, but ever since Pitino's hire and his comments about the changing the roster, I have read more about Peyton Siva's stats at Louisville than I ever wanted, needed or cared to know.

Lavin did this also. Former players were around all summer. They worked his basketball camp and then played with and against the current playerts.
This is a huge and well known thing that happens down here. Not just for the structured stuff, but the pickup games where anyone can walk in the gym and say we got next and play against pros. It is amazing the names that come back.

This is the hill I will die on:

Posh can thrive in Pitino's system and deserves the opportunity to show he can.

And for the record: PG Peyton Siva shot .288 from 3 the year Louisville won the whole damn thing, .291 for his career.
This is strictly a comment on 3 points shooting: percentages have continually risen as the years have gone on. 33% was good at the advent of the 3 point line now the threshold is like 40% to be considered good.

I think Pitino is sending a message to those players that he plans to have return, that there is a new culture at St. John’s. There are no favorites. Everyone pulls his weight, and helps a teammate when he needs help pulling his load. Three Musketeers— “All for one, and one for all.” Thus is buried the era of hero-ball.

it seems Rick wants to play the game of transfer portal then work with the players at Saint Johns. Does he already have some assurances from kids. Are is he so confident that he can do better he is rolling the dice.
I have no idea what went on behind the scenes and Pitino is of course a hall of famer who knows what he’s doing. But as a fan. I don’t like this.

Back