Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Clearly some of the same naysayers who are commenting on BT's post, are some of the same ones coming on here talking garbage. Thankfully they'll disappear as soon as Rick is official.
I think what will happen is they/we (I am a naysayer irt RP) will root for success because at the end of the day we are St. John’s fan whether Ron Artest is taking us the the Elite 8 or Phil Misserie has to play 40 minutes against Gtown to scrape out a sole BE victory. If success comes quickly the majority of this board will have a great chance to needle us naysayers. And we will have a mouth full of crow but we still be happy because it’s still St John’s and we’d being winning (finally). Better to be happy than right, I’ve always been told.

If success doesn’t come quickly we’ll bring up Speedy, Richey, and probably now that guy from FDU, there will be japes from us naysayers but it won’t nearly be as fun. Because we’ve been through the initial excitement then dashed hopes of new coaches for the last X amount of years.

If heaven forbide there is scandal or something crazy happens like Pitino leaves after year one, I fear this board will be aflame.

All and all the I thought the pro RP/anti RP discourse on the board has been pretty respectful if not a little repetitive (I’m certainly guilty of that).

As for BT’s post I mean it’s the off season it’s the perfect time to shoot for the moon, because until they lace’em up, every recruit is a five star guy and every coach a genius. Hope springs eternal.

"I would expect this thing to move fast," a source said Friday.

My read: I would think Pitino is visiting St. John's no later than Monday to at least get a sense of the place and figure out if this is the spot to which he wants to jump.

"You don't buy houses without looking at the garage and the upstairs and the kitchen and everything," Pitino said about St. John's. "You don't just buy a house."

Also Cooley to Georgetown remains a possibility -

"I would expect this thing to move fast," a source said Friday.

My read: I would think Pitino is visiting St. John's no later than Monday to at least get a sense of the place and figure out if this is the spot to which he wants to jump.

"You don't buy houses without looking at the garage and the upstairs and the kitchen and everything," Pitino said about St. John's. "You don't just buy a house."

Also Cooley to Georgetown remains a possibility -

He may have already made decision to buy the house but will give him more negotiating leverage after he visits.

At a minimum, since he doesn't know how to get there from his house, he can at least experience morning or afternoon rush hour commute traffic

School may end up needing to buy big house in Jamaica Estates just to give Rick a place to sleepover when he wants.

Imagine if he doesn't come and said the traffic was awful ? Lol

Last edited:
He may have already made decision to buy the house but will give him more negotiating leverage after he visits.

At a minimum, since he doesn't know how to get there from his house, he can at least experience morning or afternoon rush hour commute traffic

School may end up needing to buy big house in Jamaica Estates just to give Rick a place to sleepover when he wants.

Imagine if he doesn't come and said the traffic was awful ? Lol
Lavin, as I recall, lived in Manhattan the whole time he coached at SJU. He had one of the student managers pick him up in the morning and drive him to the school.

I get all the excitement, I really do. But starting a thread to announce that Rick Pitino is our new coach, before Rick Pitino is officially announced as our new coach, is sorta like bringing bad karma on our program. And lord knows, this program has had enough bad karma over the last 20 years to last centuries.
Yes, a question mark inserted in the title might be prudent. Moderators?

Whole lot of A-holes in there. Going to bookmark that tweet and revisit every year for the next few years to see what those guys have to say.
Revenge is normally a dish best served cold.

In this case it will be best served old (due to the average age of the fanbase).

Attachments

• 623B428D-642B-45A0-931B-1F5ADE25F12A.jpeg
    623B428D-642B-45A0-931B-1F5ADE25F12A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Lavin, as I recall, lived in Manhattan the whole time he coached at SJU. He had one of the student managers pick him up in the morning and drive him to the school.
Incorrect, student managers and never drove Lav. After Tilton was gone, Lav used a private driver, almost exclusively with Wrobel a very occasional driver. That private driver would always drop the coaches at the airport and be there upon the late night return from charters. He also drove Lav to games at MSG and sat right behind the bench and was the only one given MSG credentials to park his Escalade under the Garden.

Last edited:
I get all the excitement, I really do. But starting a thread to announce that Rick Pitino is our new coach, before Rick Pitino is officially announced as our new coach, is sorta like bringing bad karma on our program. And lord knows, this program has had enough bad karma over the last 20 years to last centuries.
Starting that thread is reverse karma. It is the only way we can have a truly clean break from all of bad luck that has shadowed this program.

Back