Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

St. John’s vs. Kentucky in Arthur Ashe Stadium?​

Since Pope was named head coach, there’s been talk of a future Kentucky vs. St. John’s series, which could coincide with the 30-year anniversary of the 1995-96 National Championship season. Pitino said he and Pope are still working on it but scheduling commitments are making a return game at Madison Square Garden difficult. Pitino has a great alternative: a game at Arthur Ashe Stadium, home to the US Open.

“I want to play Kentucky. We’re trying to work it out, but Mark can’t come back to Madison Square Garden the following year because of commitments. But we’re trying to work it out. I would actually love — I’m sure Mark want to go to the Garden, but I would love to play a game in Arthur Ashe Stadium in front of 23,000 people. I can get that done but it’s up to Mark.”

This I did not know. Rick told KSR he actually had accepted the Michigan job back in 2001 before backing out and taking the Louisville job.

The openings line up. Both jobs were open in 2001. Tommy Amaker was hired by Michigan and Rick went to Louisville.

This I did not know. Rick told KSR he actually had accepted the Michigan job back in 2001 before backing out and taking the Louisville job.

The openings line up. Both jobs were open in 2001. Tommy Amaker was hired by Michigan and Rick went to Louisville.

Interesting..Hadn't heard that either.

These 2001, 2012 & 2013 articles have some details

Just have to accept Pitino for who he is. We know he's not going anywhere. And at the event last night he was surrounded by his former players including one who he is a mentor to who is the head coach of Kentucky. Was more of a celebration of all of their time there.

I saw this made the headlines on ESPN. Which to me is actually great because Pitino is constantly making headlines, and every time he does, there is mention of St. John's along with it. So the constant flow of publicity for the program is a good thing.
Don’t kid yourself, CRP would be gone in a hot minute if he had any better alternatives. UK was not interested in him returning to coach so him going down to enjoy some nostalgia is fine.

The combination of his age and baggage makes higher paying/more prestigious options hard for him to come by. Hopefully, that works to our advantage. We will see if we start making the ncaa tournament. Getting the combination of Mike Repole and Kadary Richmond on board was a big step in the right direction.

Don’t kid yourself, CRP would be gone in a hot minute if he had any better alternatives. UK was not interested in him returning to coach so him going down to enjoy some nostalgia is fine.

The combination of his age and baggage makes higher paying/more prestigious options hard for him to come by. Hopefully, that works to our advantage. We will see if we start making the ncaa tournament. Getting the combination of Mike Repole and Kadary Richmond on board was a big step in the right direction.
I actually don’t think he has a ton of interest in leaving NY and where he has settled at this point. In his heyday, yeah he’d likely be somewhere else. We are the last stop on the Pitino express abs hopefully we can retire Rick a Champion and he does the same for us.

Back