Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Not sure anyone would disagree with Ritino’s statement but the issue is how is that “super league” accomplished.

Gotta bite the bullet and be open to travel.

ACC is doing it. Big 12 is doing it. The B!G is doing it. The only conference/entity that can remain as is are as follows:

• SEC (the only "regional" super conference)
  • Notre Dame
That's it. Everyone else has to adapt.

Not a big deal he was there, but wearing the gear a little rougher. Won't make much news past today..but will stink a bit if media keeps playing clips during season if we or KY have good year.

Still, as saying goes all press is good press.

Not sure why anyone would be offended by Pitino’s trip to Kentucky and whatever he chose to do there unless your conclusion is that it shows a clear lack of 100% commitment to the Johnnies.
If so, I get it. But I don’t believe that is the case at all, but the fact is he is in an absolutely different place in life than when he coached BU, Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville and part, not all, but part, of that new phase is looking back, a natural part of aging in my mind. Frankly, I am there myself.

Not a big deal he was there, but wearing the gear a little rougher. Won't make much news past today..but will stink a bit if media keeps playing clips during season if we or KY have good year.

Still, as saying goes all press is good press.
10 years from now when he comes to our games to a heroes welcome, we'll be fine with it. If anything it underscores that Rick, for all his career moves, maintains relationships wherever he's been. I'd rather see that than him abandoning a school once he has no use for them. In fact, maintaining a good relationship with Providence helped bring him here.

ACC is doing it. Big 12 is doing it. The B!G is doing it. The only conference/entity that can remain as is are as follows:

• Notre Dame
endee is once again open to joining he BIG EAST, a conference that's twice the power of their current one. You think they're struggling now...........

I don't think there's anymore non-football schools that would make a basketball league feel like a super league. Dayton, St. Louis, VCU, Wichita State, Davidson is...not it

It'd require a massive Big East transformational shift into something far more ambitious than is currently there. To be by far the best basketball conference, we would, yes, have to offer football and poach from the Big 12/ACC.

Football teams: Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Louisville, Wake Forest, Duke, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse, UConn, Arizona
Non-football: Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Butler, Xavier, DePaul, Creighton, Marquette

... never happening
Since football drive media deals a super league can only be created around football teams. The SEC and Big 10 won’t share revenue you non football schools. Why would they, you saw it this year where all the big 12 votes no on UConn taking even a partial share.

Unfortunately for big east expansion there is very few non football schools that would raise the leagues profile in terms of TV revenue. The BE is in a unique position where no big conference benefits from taking any of our teams (no matter how hard UConn works the corner) and we don’t benefit from expansion.

• Notre Dame
It’s really the Big 10 and SEC everyone else. Big 10 paid out more per team than the SEC last year. That’ll change this year. The ACC could really screw notre dame and tell them to join or pound sand. They’d still make a ton of money but they be in basketball and Olympic sport disarray.

Since football drive media deals a super league can only be created around football teams. The SEC and Big 10 won’t share revenue you non football schools. Why would they, you saw it this year where all the big 12 votes no on UConn taking even a partial share.

Unfortunately for big east expansion there is very few non football schools that would raise the leagues profile in terms of TV revenue. The BE is in a unique position where no big conference benefits from taking any of our teams (no matter how hard UConn works the corner) and we don’t benefit from expansion.
I think the only possible exception is if the ACC collapses and those schools would rather re-build BE football than stick with ACC or go to B12 or PAC. But it’s a very far flung idea

I think the only possible exception is if the ACC collapses and those schools would rather re-build BE football than stick with ACC or go to B12 or PAC. But it’s a very far flung idea
Right, keep in mind the Big East tried a mixed super conference before. And every football program that had the chance left for greener pastures as soon as they could.

Seeing a lot of twitter controversy about Rick going to Kentucky.

I remember being grouchy about him taking such an interest in the UK coaching search, but really it doesn’t mean much to me

St. John’s hired a legendary coach knowing full well he’s been a legend at other schools. That history doesn’t go away just because he’s the coach of St. John’s.

My take - I’m glad he wasn’t pining for the UK job himself lol, instead he wanted his former player to get it. Honestly, the only one who I think should have slightly hard feelings is Mark Pope himself. I wouldn’t want my old coach making my hire about him. Which I don’t think Rick is doing that intentionally, but eh

10 years from now when he comes to our games to a heroes welcome, we'll be fine with it. If anything it underscores that Rick, for all his career moves, maintains relationships wherever he's been. I'd rather see that than him abandoning a school once he has no use for them. In fact, maintaining a good relationship with Providence helped bring him here.
He's going to be coaching a different team in 10 years?

Friend of mine texted me he saw this and said it seemed odd in KY gear since he's a current coach. He knew he was supporting Pope though. Still thought odd.

Said it would be kind of like Bill Parcells visiting back at NY when he was in Dallas or New England... or Riley going back to Lakers while overseeing the Heat.

Seeing a lot of twitter controversy about Rick going to Kentucky.

I remember being grouchy about him taking such an interest in the UK coaching search, but really it doesn’t mean much to me

St. John’s hired a legendary coach knowing full well he’s been a legend at other schools. That history doesn’t go away just because he’s the coach of St. John’s.

My take - I’m glad he wasn’t pining for the UK job himself lol, instead he wanted his former player to get it. Honestly, the only one who I think should have slightly hard feelings is Mark Pope himself. I wouldn’t want my old coach making my hire about him. Which I don’t think Rick is doing that intentionally, but eh
Although I believe RP will go to whoever pays him the most and has the best resources the point was moot as Kentucky never even approached him to gauge interest.

As far as visiting your past jobs, I don’t like CRP but even I couldn’t care less he visited his old stomping grounds.

Pitino at Kentucky in UK gear is a complete nonissue. That was a big chapter of his life and we would be foolish to ask him to forget that.

He’s also supporting his former player who now has his old gig. Let him revel in his past accomplishments there and soak in a great weekend. Remembering that glory will be a storyline when we start winning in March.

Back