Possible Coaching Candidates

Hey say what you want about Kevin Ollie but he did coach a team to a National Championship, and an Arbitrator found that Yukon shafted Kevin Ollie by dismissing him over issues that did not raise to “cause” and awarded Ollie $11.1M plus another $3.9M.

”A four-year battle began coming to an end in January when an arbitrator ruled UConn had to give Ollie $11.1 million in back pay and issued a 69-page report that read as a stinging indictment of the university, which had supported Calhoun during similar N.C.A.A. investigations. The arbitrator wrote that “UConn’s dismissal of Kevin Ollie was predicated on an incomplete investigation, inadequate process and ultimately a collection of unproven or minor, isolated infractions for which termination was far too severe a sanction.…… UConn agreed to pay Ollie an additional $3.9 million, helping the former coach pay his legal fees.”

LINK

Hey say what you want about Kevin Ollie but he did coach a team to a National Championship, and an Arbitrator found that Yukon shafted Kevin Ollie by dismissing him over issues that did not raise to “cause” and awarded Ollie $11.1M plus another $3.9M.

”A four-year battle began coming to an end in January when an arbitrator ruled UConn had to give Ollie $11.1 million in back pay and issued a 69-page report that read as a stinging indictment of the university, which had supported Calhoun during similar N.C.A.A. investigations. The arbitrator wrote that “UConn’s dismissal of Kevin Ollie was predicated on an incomplete investigation, inadequate process and ultimately a collection of unproven or minor, isolated infractions for which termination was far too severe a sanction.…… UConn agreed to pay Ollie an additional $3.9 million, helping the former coach pay his legal fees.”

LINK

Hey may have done nothing wrong. But after winning a title (I believe with Calhoun's recruits), his results were very underwhelming to the point the fans wanted him out badly.

Hey may have done nothing wrong. But after winning a title (I believe with Calhoun's recruits), his results were very underwhelming to the point the fans wanted him out badly.
You don’t think that moving out of The Big East had anything to do with that? He won 25 games and made it to the second round of the tournament two years after he won the National Championship. After that the next two years weren’t great but I think being in the AAC did him in. It just was never a fit for UConn.

You don’t think that moving out of The Big East had anything to do with that? He won 25 games and made it to the second round of the tournament two years after he won the National Championship. After that the next two years weren’t great but I think being in the AAC did him in. It just was never a fit for UConn.

Maybe a little. But I don't think it's the whole picture. Look at what Houston is doing the past few years in the AAC. Ollie wasnt a great recruiter. Sure the Big East is better than the AAC. But its not considered one of the power 5 conferences.

Maybe a little. But I don't think it's the whole picture. Look at what Houston is doing the past few years in the AAC. Ollie wasnt a great recruiter. Sure the Big East is better than the AAC. But its not considered one of the power 5 conferences.
Duh! Power Five is are the FOOTBALL dominated schools with unlimited budgets. Nothing to do with basketball unless you're outliers like Kansas and Kentucky.

Yes, but the conference has Memphis , Tulane, SMU and Tulsa which are natural regional rivalries for Houston. Even, South Florida, Central Florida and Cincinnati to some extent are better fits for Houston. In that conference, besides Temple, that was a horrible fit for UConn. Either way, we could do a lot worse than Kevin Ollie. He’s made it to the pinnacle, regardless of who’s players he had , that experience means something. Not only that but I’m sure Kevin Ollie would love to come here and try and stick it to UConn as much as he can! He would be extremely motivated.

Either way, we could do a lot worse than Kevin Ollie.
No, we can't.

You'd figure a guy that has won a national championship in the past decade would be a hot commodity among any of the power conference schools that have had coaching vacancies since Ollie has been let go but nobody would touch him with a 20 foot pole. There's a reason his name hasn't even been floated for any college jobs the past 5 years and likely won't be going forward either. He would be disastrous.

No, we can't.

You'd figure a guy that has won a national championship in the past decade would be a hot commodity among any of the power conference schools that have had coaching vacancies since Ollie has been let go but nobody would touch him with a 20 foot pole. There's a reason his name hasn't even been floated for any college jobs the past 5 years and likely won't be going forward either. He would be disastrous.
Not taking a stance on his coaching acumen but his lawsuit against the University could be acting as a deterrent to his hiring by another school. Noone likes a lawsuit. (noone is an inside joke-please everyone it is no one-pet peeve of mine. Thank you all for your indulgence 😊)

No, we can't.

This would be a colossal mistake.

No, we can't.

He is waiting for an opportunity to beat UConn twice a year

I know this is a long shot but after this season with the Bulls, ya think Billy Donovan may want to get back into the college game? He is from the Metro area. And this is where a competent organization would be making contacts with potential candidates at this time, not waiting a month or so after season's end while scrambling to find another coach.

I know this is a long shot but after this season with the Bulls, ya think Billy Donovan may want to get back into the college game? He is from the Metro area. And this is where a competent organization would be making contacts with potential candidates at this time, not waiting a month or so after season's end while scrambling to find another coach.
I had the same thought

Why the heck would Billy Donovan want to take a pay cut to come here and deal with such an unstable program???? The guy literally can choose the ideal situation for himself and it won't be here.

Why the heck would Billy Donovan want to take a pay cut to come here and deal with such an unstable program???? The guy literally can choose the ideal situation for himself and it won't be here.
Here are the three “potential” reasons.
1. He wants to be back in the Metro area.
2. He likes the challenge of turning around a nearly dead program.
3. He’s a glutton for punishment. 😂👍

The only real reason is home, but I think after a certain point home ceases to be home, especially once elderly parents pass away. Or follow you to Gainesville 25 years ago.

Back