Possible Coaching Candidates

I think the process now is pretty simple.
Assuming Billy Donovan isnt an option, go for Pitino if he is able & willing to commit to at least 5 yrs. Otherwise, go after Dusty May or Pat Kelsey

I think the process now is pretty simple.
Assuming Billy Donovan isnt an option, go for Pitino if he is able & willing to commit to at least 5 yrs. Otherwise, go after Dusty May or Pat Kelsey
Anyone besides a sure thing, and alot probably won't give 2 craps anymore. Why keep doing this every 4-5 years, I know I'm not.

By a sure thing, I mean Pitino, Donavan, I'd even call Jay.

Otherwise we'll continue to suck and in 4 years be doing this all over again.

As Eric, his very cool brother Mike and I were walking out of Tracks before the game, this totally drop dead gorgeous model type(think of a better looking Kate Upton) was coming in. She held the door open for us and said "you first". As we walked away, I said to Eric and Mike "us passing on Pitino knowing he's available and would likely jump at the opportunity to coach SJU, would be like me coming home and seeing this blond in my bed, naked and ready to have sex with me, and me passing on her".

Anyone besides a sure thing, and alot probably won't give 2 craps anymore. Why keep doing this every 4-5 years, I know I'm not.

By a sure thing, I mean Pitino, Donavan, I'd even call Jay.

Otherwise we'll continue to suck and in 4 years be doing this all over again.
They aren't getting any of them

Lazy Sunday today so was looking at some realistic coaching candidates in order of how much I'd like them. Will probably be missing a few names but would think anybody outside of this list would be a pretty big surprise or would be pretty off the board.

1. Rick Pitino
The Good -
He's still one of the best coaches in the country and would be the best coach to ever lead this program. Cleared by the NCAA now and it's nearly impossible for me to envision a scenario where he wouldn't succeed here if he stays healthy. A total grand slam.
The Bad - He will be 71 on opening night next year.
My Grade - 10/10
Would he come? He's been dropping hints about wanting this job the past couple years. That said, have to be mindful of other schools with deeper pockets taking a run at him now that he's been cleared by the NCAA.

2. Chris Mack
The Good -
Had a great run at Xavier where he made 8 of 9 NCAA Tournaments including during the transition from the A10 to the Big East which isn't easy. Currently unemployed so no buyout needed.
The Bad - Had a pretty quick and bad flameout at Louisville, though wonder how much the Dino Guadio situation contributed to that. No real ties to the NYC area.
My Grade - 8/10
Would he come? Probably if no better offers out there.

3. Mike Boynton
The Good -
NYC guy that has done an admirable job leading Oklahoma State through a turbulent time with NCAA infractions in the toughest conference in the country. Have been top 40 in KP the past 3 seasons.
The Bad - His only NCAA appearance came from adding Cade Cunningham's brother to the coaching staff and generally their record has always lagged behind their metrics
My Grade - 6.5/10
Would he come? Probably not unless Oklahoma State kind of nudges him out the door.

4. Mike Brey
The Good -
Has had quite a 20+ year run at Notre Dame in the Big East and ACC
The Bad - Barring a miracle this year he's going to be looking at 1 tournament appearance in his past 6 seasons
My Grade - 6/10
Would he come? - There were rumors he was interested in this job last time it was open before the search became a national embarrassment. ND is probably ready to make a change and Brey could look to get out before getting officially fired.

5. Matt Langel
The Good -
Probably the best of the "up and coming" coaches. Inherited a moribund Colgate program and turned them into the absolute class of the Patriot League. Could end up being our version of Steve Pikiell.
The Bad - Has no experience in power conferences even as an Assistant. Far more of an offensive coach than defensive and I personally prefer defensive minded guys that are moving up a level or two.
My Grade - 6/10
Would he come? - Yes

6. Kimani Young
The Good -
Queens native and excellent recruiter with lots of ties to this area/ Has already spent time in this program and is the second in command at a top 5 school. Could end up being for us what Jerome Tang has been for Kansas State.
The Bad - No head coaching experience.
My Grade - 6/10
Would he come? - Yes

7. Ryan Odom
The Good -
Immediately turned UMBC from one of the worst programs in D1 to respectable and was the first 16 seed to ever beat a 1 seed in the tournament.
Currently in year 2 at Utah State and they are a factor in the Mountain West as usual.
The Bad - Hasn't demonstrated a super high ceiling a Utah State yet and has no NYC ties.
My Grade - 5/10
Would he come? - Would be looking at a substantial raise so probably.

8. Drew Valentine
The Good -
Clearly highly respected enough to be given the Loyola Chicago job at the age of 30 after spending years as an Assistant there. Had a strong first season there getting 25 wins and a 10 seed in the NCAA Tournament
The Bad - Year 2 has been terrible as they are currently 6-9 (0-3) and 191st in KP. Has not yet proven he can build and maintain a program as the head guy. Not quite sure why so many people are high on him
My Grade - 4.5/10
Would he come? - Yes

9. James Jones
The Good -
Has had a decent 20+ year run at Yale.
The Bad - Has never been a Head Coach or Assistant at a major conference program. Not easy to win consistently in the Ivy but he's only made 3 tournaments in his 20+ years there.
My Grade - 3/10
Would he come? - Apparently he interviewed for the job the last time around and word is he really wanted it, so yes.

10. Mark Jackson
The Good -
Has NBA head coaching experience and will at the very least provide some national interest by returning to his alma mater.
The Bad - We've already been down this road with Mullin and it didn't go well. NBA guys with little to no college experience struggle bigtime. He would be a disaster IMO. Would be much more likely to have a Ewing like Georgetown run than taking this program to the next level.
My Grade - 0/10
Would he come? - No clue. Hope we never find out.
Never fear Billy Donovan is on the way

As Eric, his very cool brother Mike and I were walking out of Tracks before the game, this totally drop dead gorgeous model type(think of a better looking Kate Upton) was coming in. She held the door open for us and said "you first". As we walked away, I said to Eric and Mike "us passing on Pitino knowing he's available and would likely jump at the opportunity to coach SJU, would be like me coming home and seeing this blond in my bed, naked and ready to have sex with me, and me passing on her".
I’m trying to really figure out why she was so nice and insistent on us leaving first while she held the door. Maybe she just knew we would be staring at her ass as she walked in before we walked out??

I’m trying to really figure out why she was so nice and insistent on us leaving first while she held the door. Maybe she just knew we would be staring at her ass as she walked in before we walked out??
Zach Braziller's subscription newsletter just mentioned a really hot woman trying to drown her sorrows with a foursome, but some middle-aged guys completely missed the signals she was sending.

Back