Possible Coaching Candidates

It’s interesting to speculate on our next Coach . Be it next year , hopefully or soon after . If CMA is locked in to 2027 and stays here , we will see the same sort of BB we have seen for the next 4 years . Which would be a nightmare for fans . I have a question , which is highly hypothetical and it’s this …. Could a Pitino hire give us a opportunity to land the 5 Star , one and done kind of player in his first or second year? Would he routinely get us the 4 star kids regularly that you need to compete in the BE against the Millers , Shaka, Cooley , McDermott and , soon against the Holloways and Matta ? Neptune we don’t know yet . That to me , is the defining question . All of the mid Majors mentioned , good Coaches that they are , would have difficulty doing that in my opinion . Another advantage for Pitino is this and don’t underestimate it, he is a New Yorker . Doesn’t need to worry about where to live , he’s already here and knows about NY Taxes and has all the Finance and Accounting guys to deal with that stuff . The guys I mentioned at the top of the list are all Elite Coaches . Matta was before his hiatus . Holloway is a potential . And , if G’ town grabs a top guy where does that leave us with CMA for 4 more years ? Bottom of the BE , going head to head with DePaul for the basement . Think about it .

It’s interesting to speculate on our next Coach . Be it next year , hopefully or soon after . If CMA is locked in to 2027 and stays here , we will see the same sort of BB we have seen for the next 4 years . Which would be a nightmare for fans . I have a question , which is highly hypothetical and it’s this …. Could a Pitino hire give us a opportunity to land the 5 Star , one and done kind of player in his first or second year? Would he routinely get us the 4 star kids regularly that you need to compete in the BE against the Millers , Shaka, Cooley , McDermott and , soon against the Holloways and Matta ? Neptune we don’t know yet . That to me , is the defining question . All of the mid Majors mentioned , good Coaches that they are , would have difficulty doing that in my opinion . Another advantage for Pitino is this and don’t underestimate it, he is a New Yorker . Doesn’t need to worry about where to live , he’s already here and knows about NY Taxes and has all the Finance and Accounting guys to deal with that stuff . The guys I mentioned at the top of the list are all Elite Coaches . Matta was before his hiatus . Holloway is a potential . And , if G’ town grabs a top guy where does that leave us with CMA for 4 more years ? Bottom of the BE , going head to head with DePaul for the basement . Think about it .
At least it's Chicago vs New York.

Think of the Media Market $$$

and another factor you are forgeting--proximity to Belmont Racetrack.🐎🐎🐎

It's a very valid concern but anybody below that Pitino/Mack level is going to be a major roll of the dice one way or another.

Understand what you are saying, but I think there are different levels of rolling the dice. I do not think this job makes any sense for Chris Mack. If it's not Pitino, I would advocate for Dusty May.

May is currently making $390,000/yr at Florida Atlantic. He is young, energetic and has had strong assistant coach experiences (Murray State, UAB and Florida under Mike White). As a head coach, he has turned around Florida Atlantic quite nicely.

Last edited:
UConn will leave BE as soon as they can 😀
UConn paid $3.5M to join the Big East.

If the leave UConn leaves then let’s hope it leaves before the end of its 6th season in the Big East because the exit fee would be $30M. During years 6 through 9 the exit fee is $15M, and the standard League fee during year 10 and thereafter.

Understand what you are saying, but I think there are different levels of rolling the dice. I do not think this job makes any sense for Chris Mack. If it's not Pitino, I would advocate for Dusty May.

May is currently making $390,000/yr at Florida Atlantic. He is young, energetic and has had strong assistant coach experiences (Murray State, UAB and Florida under Mike White). As a head coach, he has turned around Florida Atlantic quite nicely.
I'd be all for Dusty May too but have to imagine he'll be a hot commodity after this season barring a collapse down the stretch from FAU. He's a midwest/south guy so would figure he'd stay down there. Georgia Tech and Ole Miss would make more sense for him than NYC and who knows what else might open up from the carousel or retirements. Dusty could also be waiting for either Hamilton or Larranaga to hang em up at FSU or Miami.

As for Mack, not sure why this job wouldn't make sense for him. He's coached and succeeded in the Big East before and after the Louisville fiasco he's probably ready to go to a place where expectations aren't sky high. Obviously if something better presents itself to him he'll take that instead but otherwise don't see why he'd pass on this job.

I'd be all for Dusty May too but have to imagine he'll be a hot commodity after this season barring a collapse down the stretch from FAU. He's a midwest/south guy so would figure he'd stay down there. Georgia Tech and Ole Miss would make more sense for him than NYC and who knows what else might open up from the carousel or retirements. Dusty could also be waiting for either Hamilton or Larranaga to hang em up at FSU or Miami.

As for Mack, not sure why this job wouldn't make sense for him. He's coached and succeeded in the Big East before and after the Louisville fiasco he's probably ready to go to a place where expectations aren't sky high. Obviously if something better presents itself to him he'll take that instead but otherwise don't see why he'd pass on this job.
Fair points on May. As for Mack, I don't think this job is attractive and believe he will have better options.

That's where Jarvis was during team practices
Incorrect statement, during the Jarvis years, team practices were always at 6am. On rare occasions, maybe after a road trip, the team practices were pushed back to 4 PM after class. Also, Belmont closed the first week of Nov and didn’t reopen till May after the spring Aqueduct meet was over.

Lavin is a classy man.

He knows while his job status was in limbo there were negotiations through intermediaries was going on behind the scenes simultaneously.

However, instead of blaming an entire university for the sins of a star struck few, Lavin has walked away the bigger person. He still roots for SJU.

And it is no coincidence that he is welcomed back to both the media and coaching world.

Fraschila on the other hand, is an ass. He wanted a bigger job after one year, and when he went to New Mexico, flamed out because he cannot manage an ounce of decorum on the sidelines (remember the 911 comment?).

But going back to your original thought, Lavin would have recruited very well here if not for the cancer. Also, if DJ Kennedy does not get hurt, that veteran team could have made a final four run, and that would have changed everything.

I still don’t think they would have got past Gonzaga.

Here’s one for ya and an admitted long shot. Should the charges against coach Beard turn out to be false, baseless, he would definitely be a home run hire. Again a loooooooooong shot.

Here’s one for ya and an admitted long shot. Should the charges against coach Beard turn out to be false, baseless, he would definitely be a home run hire. Again a loooooooooong shot.

I mentioned him five pages ago. Might as well include him as everyone mentioned so far will be looooong shots.

I actually think Robert Jones would be a good candidate, assuming we whiff on Pitino. He's a NY guys - from Jamaica and coached at St. Mary's on Long Island. Record at Norfolk State is impressive.

Given what the list of realistic non-Pitino candidates is likely to look like - mediocre retreads, unproven assistants, or successful mid-majors - I'd put him pretty high on the list.
No way should they hire him. We would be right back to where we are. Sources tell me he runs a very loose ship which is definitely not what we want or need.

HARD PASS!!!!!

Last edited:
The next hire, if Anderson does not ultimately survive, is obviously very much a hit and miss thing. Truthfully after seven misses in a row (with various degrees of success within those misses) we are desperately in need of a hit of some kind.

A hire like Ed Cooley was for Providence back in 2011 or Steve Pikiell was for Rutgers back in 2016 might be a good model for us. Neither were considered locks to be successful at their new schools when they were hired. However they both had proven to be successful program builders at their previous spots at lower level (Fairfield for Cooley and Stonybrook for Pikiell). Obviously this method does not always prove to be successful, but of our last seven hires we really only went that way once (with Fran Fraschilla). It could be argued that might have worked out better if he were a different type of person. I think it might be worth trying for a hit instead of a Home Run. This kind of hire takes patience and I know for this fanbase that is in somewhat in short supply these days, but overreaching does not make sense to me given our past performances.

Back