Possible Coaching Candidates

Incorrect statement, during the Jarvis years, team practices were always at 6am. On rare occasions, maybe after a road trip, the team practices were pushed back to 4 PM after class. Also, Belmont closed the first week of Nov and didn’t reopen till May after the spring Aqueduct meet was over.
It was said in jest. Sorry you had to do all the research to come up with that response.

One man's opinion about possible HC candidates at St John's
Pitino, Langel and Claxton have been discussed on this site
Holtmann was a surprise
The fifth is a total wild card

Selfishly, for my own sanity, I would like to start a list of coaches that we should agree are not coming here. This could help streamline and focus our discussion. Feel free to add to it.

Coaches Not Coming Here
Chris Mack
Billy Donovan
Jay Wright
Chris Beard
Mike Brey

If you want a Cragg/Duke name how about Chris Collins-Northwestern. Hot a few years ago when he took them to their 1st NCAA and had them pre season top 25. Then has gone sideways since. Having a nice bounce back year in the NCAA discussion.

I am not saying I love him. Obviously probably the most difficult B10 job. Was certainly hotter a few years ago. But he would probably jump at SJU job if offered.

If you want a Cragg/Duke name how about Chris Collins-Northwestern. Hot a few years ago when he took them to their 1st NCAA and had them pre season top 25. Then has gone sideways since. Having a nice bounce back year in the NCAA discussion.

I am not saying I love him. Obviously probably the most difficult B10 job. Was certainly hotter a few years ago. But he would probably jump at SJU job if offered.
Collins would be another one of those high floor / low ceiling type of names. He's an Illinois guy and his job is and will be pretty secure at NW especially if they make the tourney this year so not sure he'd jump to a place that has a history of firing coaches every 4-5 years.

I doubt he would leave the Big10 to come here.

If the list of names is Chris Collins, Wojo, and Capel, then I know Cragg is just trolling us.

Could Quin Synder be far behind?

Holtmann was a surprise

Ha. The only time North Texas and St. John's were mentioned in the same breath was when I was a student there in 1984-85. When the year began people asked me where/what was St. John's. By mid-February a friend I made from LI Lutheran was hosting watch parties at his apartment.

Watch us hire Coach K out of a boring retirement 😁

Endorsed.
urn-publicid-ap-org-03297658e25b2989fe48e991e1e4d50aVirus_Outbreak_Coaches_Video_44956.jpg

Holtmann was a surprise

I attend Hofstra games with a friend who has Courtside season tickets. Speedy is doing a good job in game preparation but I'm not sure his in-game coaching style would appeal to many SJ fans.
In time outs he first consults with his staff. Then in the final 30 seconds he sits with the players. He has his guards playing good team ball which seems to be his special skill.
Not the most charismatic person for the media and fund raising.

Holtmann was a surprise

He can't legally drink yet so hold off on calling him a man. ;)

PS Just kidding Ryan, I'm sure you're a poster or at least lurker here.

i think CMA comes back,one more year.

I highly doubt the bot and or Fr Shanley go the nuclear option and get rid of Joe Olivia, Mike Cragg and CMA and bring in Rick Pitino, Ed Kull as AD and Mike Repole is fully back in the fold as BOT member/NIL influencer.

A real long shot at best . I think it could be said Cragg as AD deserves one more chance at a coach. The question is who will be available ?

Let’s examine Coach K’s tree

He whiffed on Bobby Hurley who used SJU for leverage , why would he want the job now ? Wojo a tough sell to the fan base , and I can’t see Brey, Capel or Collins leaving their respective situations.

Quinn Snyder a retread, could he be the best coach K tree option.Would that excite an SJU fan looking to renew season tickets.

I just feel the school will go the safe route and keep CMA one more year.

i think CMA comes back,one more year.

I highly doubt the bot and or Fr Shanley go the nuclear option and get rid of Joe Olivia, Mike Cragg and CMA and bring in Rick Pitino, Ed Kull as AD and Mike Repole is fully back in the fold as BOT member/NIL influencer.

A real long shot at best . I think it could be said Cragg as AD deserves one more chance at a coach. The question is who will be available ?

Let’s examine Coach K’s tree

He whiffed on Bobby Hurley who used SJU for leverage , why would he want the job now ? Wojo a tough sell to the fan base , and I can’t see Brey, Capel or Collins leaving their respective situations.

Quinn Snyder a retread, could he be the best coach K tree option.Would that excite an SJU fan looking to renew season tickets.

I just feel the school will go the safe route and keep CMA one more year.
Hurley skating on pretty thin ice right now at Arizona State as he’s been consistently mediocre there throughout his tenure. I know he said he didn’t want to coach against his brother but he may try to leave before he gets canned at ASU. Hurley would be another mediocre hire

I meant to add Billy Donovan as an option but I think it could be the same issue I see with the Pitino package hire I mentioned above. I can’t see the school wanting Repoles influence/money after the Francesca interview. I wish I was wrong.

Hurley skating on pretty thin ice right now at Arizona State as he’s been consistently mediocre there throughout his tenure. I know he said he didn’t want to coach against his brother but he may try to leave before he gets canned at ASU. Hurley would be another mediocre hire
He’s 16-8 overall and 7-6 right now in conference. If that’s mediocre I wish Anderson got me that

Back