Possible Coaching Candidates

Mug excellent point, but I thinks it’s a Hurley thing unless they are forced to compete against each other they don’t want too. Bob sr when he coached st Anthony’s never wanted to coach against st Rocco’s in Newark where Danny coached. Bobby coaching against his brother twice a year , a tough sell going against the Hurley precedent.

I have two Hurley stories that could harpoon his candidacy here if the consensus is that we need to go in a different direction. 😁

One last time, regardless of who ultimately gets SJU job make no mistake as I said earlier only an Act of God saves Coach Anderson's job now. The change won't happen until season's end but make no mistake he is not going to be retained.

And please stop with Cragg, he is not going anywhere.

Ok Fordham who’s a realistic candidate for the job ? Outside the dream candidates Pitino, Donovan , jay wright, brad stevens?

You mentioned Collins you think he leaves his cozy gig at Northwestern for the massive rebuilding job here ? I can’t see it.

Who are three candidates you think at least get an interview?

He’s 16-8 overall and 7-6 right now in conference. If that’s mediocre I wish Anderson got me that
They are currently on the outside looking in section of the bubble. If they miss the tournament this year he will only have one NCAA Tournament win 8 years there which was the First Four game against us. Pretty mediocre

They are currently on the outside looking in section of the bubble. If they miss the tournament this year he will only have one NCAA Tournament win 8 years there which was the First Four game against us. Pretty mediocre
What’s this NCAA tournament win you speak of. I’d love to know what that feels like

One man's opinion about possible HC candidates at St John's
Pitino, Langel and Claxton have been discussed on this site
Holtmann was a surprise
The fifth is a total wild card

I like the young man's suggestion of Langel from Colgate. He has created stability and consistency there. Reminiscent to me of Pikiell at Stonybrook. I read through the below S.I. column on rising mid-major talent (see link below) and must say I am even more confused now than I was before. I am glad somebody else will have to make this hire. I believe it will be very tricky to make the right decision and the more I think about it the more I think I don't have a clue. For those in the Pitino camp (which I am not in) I envy your certitude about this.

Selfishly, for my own sanity, I would like to start a list of coaches that we should agree are not coming here. This could help streamline and focus our discussion. Feel free to add to it.

Coaches Not Coming Here
Chris Mack
Billy Donovan
Jay Wright
Chris Beard
Mike Brey
Coach K

You may as well toss in Johnny Dawkins and Tommy Amaker, too.

Add Greg Paulus to the Duke coaching tree.

Paulus, at fellow Vincentian Niagara University would not be a candidate for a major conference job at this time but he is doing a solid job in his fourth year at underfunded Niagara where he is now 13 and 9.

Any coach that has a winning record at NU deserves coach of the year award. i believe Greg will be a candidate for a higher mid major in the future.

Any coach that has a winning record at NU deserves coach of the year award. i believe Greg will be a candidate for a higher mid major in the future.

Chris Casey had a winning record there one year. Maybe he wants to come back to Queens? ;)

With Cragg being from Duke, a source says Bobby Hurley will be their target. Meanwhile, Georgetown will be looking to hire Pitino.
That would be hard to take. Why do we want Hurley, he hasn't really done much at AZ St., ok maybe more then CMA but that's not saying much.

So we'll get Bobby and be alittle above avg, and Georgetown will be getting to atleast the 2nd week of the NCAA Tourny by his 3rd year.

Bobby doesn't do it for me. I'm getting a splitting headache just thinking of SJU being nothing with Hurley and G-Town kicking ass with Pitino.

If SJU doesn't atleast try for Pitino then they don't deserve any fans, just my opinion.
Plus we'll have to pay through the nose to get Hurley. Better then CMA, but IMO not worth what we're going to have to pay him

Plus we'll have to pay through the nose to get Hurley. Better then CMA, but IMO not worth what we're going to have to pay him
Agreed. The knocks on Hurley are the same as our last 3 coaches here. No structure on offense, gives the players too much freedom to take bad shots, players regressing, poor late game decisions etc. All of that is pretty evident just by watching any ASU game and was very evident when both ASU and SJU looked horrific in that first four game against each other.

During Hurley's 8 year tenure there ASU has finished top 50 in KenPom just once (49th). We pretty much know what his ceiling is at this point and it's pretty low. Would rather take a chance on striking gold with a Matt Langel type.

Agreed. The knocks on Hurley are the same as our last 3 coaches here. No structure on offense, gives the players too much freedom to take bad shots, players regressing, poor late game decisions etc.
Which is weird because I thought Hurly's Buffalo team was none of those things. But maybe they were just way more talented than the other teams in the conference that it seemed like they were structured, etc.

Would rather take a chance on striking gold with a Matt Langel type.
Agree 100 percent on Langel. I don't want to give $20 million+ to a coach who might only be taking the job to escape the posse. Do your homework and take a chance on the fresh face if the biggest name out there slips through our fingers.

Mj dinkins great job forgot about Dawkins and amaker, interesting. Both would be retreads. They are both in good situations.

Dawkins with UCF a nice job, less pressure , football money , he got them to NCAA a few years back with Tacko. I think UCF maybe a better job than SJU right now. Amaker more of a retread on his third job currently but he has prestige, won the ivy a lot. Does he leave the comfort of Harvard for the Big East again, he was turned down from Duke job by Coach K. He actually maybe a very good candidate with something to prove. I think worth an interview.

Back