Possible Coaching Candidates

jesus christ the guy has won about 80% of his conference games at Iona, won the conference tournament 2 years ago after basically coming right off a 2-week covid pause, won the regular season conference title last year, beat the first top-10 team in the history of the conference last year, and this year is tied for first place in the conference. what more do you want him to show?? the guy is allowed to lose games.
And I would add that the team that beat them in the Conference Tournament last year was playing at a level that then got them to the Sweet Sixteen.

There are no guarantees when it comes to coaching hires. IMO Pitino is about as close as we can get to a guarantee. If he has lost some of the piss and vinegar he had as a younger man, I have no doubt that it will return if/when he steps back on to the big stage.

Certain people at SJU will need to be won over for them to make a move on Pitino.

Mike Boynton is someone I'm told will get a look as well.
I think if Pitino and Mack are not in the equation, then Mike Boynton makes sense. He’s a young guy who’s had some success in a major conference, he’s a New York guy etc.

Mike Boynton’s resume at Oklahoma State is no better than CMA’s was at Arkansas alone. And that was his worst stint prior to sju. Now I don’t think CMA is this awful of a coach, but the situation currently certainly is awful. And I don’t think Boyton by any means couldn’t win at St. John’s, but what he’s shown there is no more than the guy we now want run out of town.

Plus let’s say Boynton ends this year really well and his stock goes up. Are we gonna be able to pull a coach who is successful from OKST? On the flip side if he struggles the rest of the way, are we then gonna get excited about a guy who’s own fans might be happy to see go?

We could certainly do worse & I know I wouldn’t hate it if it happened. But I think if he weren’t from NY his name would never be mentioned.

Let me ask 2 questions to the chorus of Pitino advocates

1. have you seen the soon to be 71 year old Pitino coach his Iona team?
2. If the soon to be 71 year old Pitino is still the same great coach he was then why is he not dominating the MAAC?

Anyone who saw the seemingly clueless Coach Pitino this season as his team got drilled by both Siena and Quinnipiac while he watched with few if any adjustments would conclude that Pitino is not the savior he may have been 10 years ago.
Well, they are tied for 1st in the Maac. Yes, they got blown out 2x but that happens even Gonzaga has, and they've dominated their conference for the last decade. Frankly I'd be beyond happy if we were only blown out 2x and tied for 1st in BE, that's top a 10/15 team.

Mike Boynton’s resume at Oklahoma State is no better than CMA’s was at Arkansas alone. And that was his worst stint prior to sju. Now I don’t think CMA is this awful of a coach, but the situation currently certainly is awful. And I don’t think Boyton by any means couldn’t win at St. John’s, but what he’s shown there is no more than the guy we now want run out of town.

Plus let’s say Boynton ends this year really well and his stock goes up. Are we gonna be able to pull a coach who is successful from OKST? On the flip side if he struggles the rest of the way, are we then gonna get excited about a guy who’s own fans might be happy to see go?

We could certainly do worse & I know I wouldn’t hate it if it happened. But I think if he weren’t from NY his name would never be mentioned.
I agree 100% both Lavin and MA fans from previous schools were happy to see them go. I'd rather not go down this path again.

Is it just me, but isn't it possible that the years of failure and high school level gym, less than elite facilities and an often fickle fanbase is too much of an obstacle for the Grassos and Boyntons of the world? That's why for me it's Pitino or bust. I don't even think Pitino is a guaranteed double, yet alone a home run. But he has star power and a history of success at the highest levels of college ball. None of the other names do. The Big East is no joke. The top 5 or 6 schools don't have rebuilding years. Maybe the mid major names who have found success at the lower levels will bring improved preparation and in game coaching, but that's only the beginning. They need to bring elite level talent. Which isn't easy, especially for newcomers to the recruiting wars of the power conferences.

Why would Boynton leave a big12 job at Oklahoma State with football money and state funding to come back to nyc? his $3,000,000 salary goes a lot further down there than up here. Same reason I can’t see Johnny Dawkins leaving UCF both honestly are better jobs right now.

Unless Pitino or my favorite Billy Donovan don’t happen with big $$$.
I would take a look at Amaker, Paulus,Claxton.. Grasso.

I attend Hofstra games with a friend who has Courtside season tickets. Speedy is doing a good job in game preparation but I'm not sure his in-game coaching style would appeal to many SJ fans.
In time outs he first consults with his staff. Then in the final 30 seconds he sits with the players. He has his guards playing good team ball which seems to be his special skill.
Not the most charismatic person for the media and fund raising.

I haven't witnessed Claxton coach, but I think people make to big of a deal about coaches consulting with their staff as the players come off the court for a time out. I have seen many coaches do it, even Hall of Famers. They might not do it for every time out, but it is not uncommon.

The problem is, what you tell the players when you do speak to them that has me more pissed off.

Some Colgate history, my late friend Jack Bruen guided the Red Raiders to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances in 1995 and 1996, the first NCAA Tournament appearances in school history—and three Patriot League regular season championships. Adonal Foyle a big man who later played in NBA was his main cog. Syracuse was all over Foyle, but Colgate prevailed. The reason was this young man had a guardian in the USA who was a Colgate faculty member who steered him there.

We also recruited Foyle but received a very good "consultation" prize in Zendon Hamilton. Foyle, Hamilton, Felipe, Kareem Reid, Curtis Staples (Tarik Turner's high school backcourt mate) and Wojo (since he was mentioned in this thread) were all McD All Americans for the East squad who played at what I think was still referred to as Alumni Hall.

We'd be a step down for Boynton, I would think. He'd probably use us to get leverage from OSU.

I still think it could be Grasso, in the end, and I think he would be a wonderful choice. Only 42, LI Native, recruits well, has a good record at Bryant (they took a slight step up competition wise this year, and are doing just fine).

Yes, it's a huge step up for Grasso, but it was a huge step up for Steve Pikell, when he went from Stony Brook to Rutgers, and look how that's turned out. I think Grasso can get similar results here.

I know everybody loves Pitino, but I worry that he is going to demand his own "coach-in-waiting", and I just won't give him that. If not, than I'm open to him.
Nobody demands a coach in waiting unless they are a lifer. But if Pitino does 4-5 years and leaves us in better shape than he found us than I have no problem with stability and giving an assistant the head reigns.

That being said I like Grasso. Always have. He would be one of many lotto ticket candidates.

Back