Possible Coaching Candidates

Why would Boynton leave a big12 job at Oklahoma State with football money and state funding to come back to nyc? his $3,000,000 salary goes a lot further down there than up here. Same reason I can’t see Johnny Dawkins leaving UCF both honestly are better jobs right now.

Unless Pitino or my favorite Billy Donovan don’t happen with big $$$.
I would take a look at Amaker, Paulus,Claxton.. Grasso.
Because the way Boynton is going he might not be long for Stillwater.

Pays to stay one step ahead

Boynton can go either way.

His record is obviously nothing spectacular. But he has had to clean up a mess. And he does have them playing better as they are a bubble team this year

He is from Brooklyn and a good recruiter.

But all in all I prefer Rick.

Boynton can go either way.

His record is obviously nothing spectacular. But he has had to clean up a mess. And he does have them playing better as they are a bubble team this year

He is from Brooklyn and a good recruiter.

But all in all I prefer Rick.
I'm pretty bullish on Boynton overall. Would definitely prefer him over other potential retreads like Bobby Hurley should he try to stay one step ahead of the posse at ASU. One thing that kind of puzzles me is the talk about him being an NYC guy when he hasn't really lived here in about 25 years. He graduated from Loughlin in 2000, went to play at South Carolina from 2000-2004 then immediately entered coaching and has coached at Furman, Coastal Carolina, Wofford, Stephen F Austin and Oklahoma State. I'm sure he still has some connections here but that's a long time to be out of the area.

If I'm reading this right- Boynton was an assistant on the Oklahoma State staff that was found to be in violation, but wasn't connected to anything. I dont know about that. Either you are part of that staff or aren't to me.

I'm watching the Miami Duke game and I chuckled when the announcer said that 73 year old Jim Larranaga is still doing a great job coaching. Especially in light of some of the comments about 70 year old Rick Pitino. Maybe we should look at Larranaga? ;) :ROFLMAO:
Am curious to see how his longtime assistant Chris Caputo (from LI) does now that he took a HC gig at GW.

Only his first year so likely too early for us but definitely curious to see how the Larranaga tree does.

If I'm reading this right- Boynton was an assistant on the Oklahoma State staff that was found to be in violation, but wasn't connected to anything. I dont know about that. Either you are part of that staff or aren't to me.
It was assistant Lamont Evans who was implicated in the bribery and he refused to cooperate with NCAA.

If you are saying that you are guilty by association then OK. But the fact Boynton was kept on to clean up mess indicates no one thinks he was part of the bribery scheme.

I'm watching the Miami Duke game and I chuckled when the announcer said that 73 year old Jim Larranaga is still doing a great job coaching. Especially in light of some of the comments about 70 year old Rick Pitino. Maybe we should look at Larranaga? ;) :ROFLMAO:
I was thinking the same. Jim and Rick will be 74 and 71 respectively next season. Boeheim will be 79.
Lifers and legends.
Pitino is the best of the three and many think he should end his career at St. John's when he is 75.
At that point a permanent long term replacement would take on the job of continuing the rebirth of the program.

Assume Shanley makes decision for change, does the entire Board have to approve the decision for buyout and/or suggested replacement hire, or is there some select subcommittee that would vote...and would it be require just a majority vote or unanimous?

It was assistant Lamont Evans who was implicated in the bribery and he refused to cooperate with NCAA.

If you are saying that you are guilty by association then OK. But the fact Boynton was kept on to clean up mess indicates no one thinks he was part of the bribery scheme.
Did one assistant act rogue? I'm skeptical there. I'm just saying shoe should fit everywhere. I often hear Pitino and other head coaches who got off scott free while the assistant's go down in flames. Personally I think all coaches on a staff know whats going on. I do find it interesting where some pay the ultimate price and others are exonerated.

Really? I don't doubt you, but I had never heard that before.
His pompous attitude was starting to rub people the wrong way.

For the that matter, there were some at Manhattan that were not sorry to see Fran go either. Loved what he did with the team, not crazy about the Napoleon complex.

Assume Shanley makes decision for change, does the entire Board have to approve the decision for buyout and/or suggested replacement hire, or is there some select subcommittee that would vote...and would it be require just a majority vote or unanimous?
Joe Oliva will probably find a way to weasel into the equation somehow. Amazing for all the lawyers that graduate from SJU he still is relied upon.

Did one assistant act rogue? I'm skeptical there. I'm just saying shoe should fit everywhere. I often hear Pitino and other head coaches who got off scott free while the assistant's go down in flames. Personally I think all coaches on a staff know whats going on. I do find it interesting where some pay the ultimate price and others are exonerated.
All I know is what I know.

Also I think Boynton is the one paying the price with the sanctions including lost post season year and now 3 scholarships.

So even if you want to pin guilt on him he unlike Brad Underwood at least is the one getting the punishment.

Either way I don't think that is an issue. The bigger question is would he be a clear upgrade.

His pompous attitude was starting to rub people the wrong way.

For the that matter, there were some at Manhattan that were not sorry to see Fran go either. Loved what he did with the team, not crazy about the Napoleon complex.
Agree on Fran 1,000% 85'. As much as I've always felt that he was the one coach since Louie who could have been the long term answer, it would have never happened since the more successful he had gotten, the more difficult he would have become.

I was thinking the same. Jim and Rick will be 74 and 71 respectively next season. Boeheim will be 79.
Lifers and legends.
Pitino is the best of the three and many think he should end his career at St. John's when he is 75.
At that point a permanent long term replacement would take on the job of continuing the rebirth of the program.
I won't be hard to find qualified takers for the job once Rick brings a national championship here

Back