Possible Coaching Candidates

Any chance Kyle Smith wants to come back to New York? Washington State is a more impossible job than ours. Mike Madsen is a future star and his NBA pedigree may help. How about Stan Johnson? LMU is pretty good and he has BE experience.
All seem like reasonable names to consider. None seem like world beaters but we could afford them if we were interested.

hey Rock. …. When was the last time you say soon to be 71 year old Pitino coach? When I watched his Iona team get drilled by Siena last week he sure did not look like the aggressive hard working coach, up and down the sidelines, making adjustments I saw a decade ago. The soon to be 71 year old may have lost some speed on his fast ball.

Do you uderstand the Pitino family’s longtime close relationship with Georgetown ?

I won't say age is just a number. Probably more than half the members of this board are eligible for medicare. Shit, a homeless looking panhandler called me "pops" when he asked for money outside MSG after the Georgetown game. That being said, Reagan was 78 when he left the presidency...Biden might be 86 if he decides to run again...Jimmy Carter is about 100 and still working Habitat for Humanity. 71 is nothing to the Pitinos of the world.

It really feels like whoever we bring in, especially in this NIL environment, needs to be just as good of a salesman as he is a coach. I have serious doubts that many of these coaches from mid majors would be able to step up to this level and attract high end talent (mostly due to NIL). That's what makes Pitino so appealing.

If CMA is not back next season, and

If St. John’s does not open its wallet to hire a big time established coach

…… then Speedy Claxton deserves consideration.

In his 2 seasons as head coach at Hofstra which plays in the strong mid major CAA, Claxton has quietly earned a solid record of 36 wins and 19 overall (65.5%) and 21 and 7 in conference (75%). Pretty darn good.

Staying in the "realistic" category... this one has me actually excited. Loved his career from underdog at Hofstra -> sticking in the League.

Posted about Speedy in a diff thread - just would wonder if he would leave Hofstra for SJU? not sure what went on with his recruitment- would he be pissed we didnt look at him (did we?) - His number is retired at Hofstra... has them looking good for two years now... would SJU move the needle for him to jump?

It really feels like whoever we bring in, especially in this NIL environment, needs to be just as good of a salesman as he is a coach. I have serious doubts that many of these coaches from mid majors would be able to step up to this level and attract high end talent (mostly due to NIL). That's what makes Pitino so appealing.
I couldn't agree more. I think it needs to be someone who captures the back page of the tabloids. If it's someone where the casual fan says "who?" it will be a (continuing) long hard slog.

I'm for Pitino first and foremost, but if he's no longer on the board, then sign me up for...

Jones - Norfolk State
Speedy - Hofstra
Langel - Colgate

Any of them would be good choices once we hit the non-Pitino level.

Staying in the "realistic" category... this one has me actually excited. Loved his career from underdog at Hofstra -> sticking in the League.

Posted about Speedy in a diff thread - just would wonder if he would leave Hofstra for SJU? not sure what went on with his recruitment- would he be pissed we didnt look at him (did we?) - His number is retired at Hofstra... has them looking good for two years now... would SJU move the needle for him to jump?
Fran Frashilla tried desperately to flip Speedy’s commitment to Hofstra but he stayed loyal to the Pride.

Think Speedy could be decent if he has a strong staff. I'd prefer him over guys like Grasso and Robert Jones but not as much as a high ceiling guy like Chris Mack should Pitino not be interested for whatever reason.

Speedy's sister played for the SJU women's team so there's some connection here and as Otis said he can't turn down that $ increase to stay at his alma mater forever.

hey Rock. …. When was the last time you say soon to be 71 year old Pitino coach? When I watched his Iona team get drilled by Siena last week he sure did not look like the aggressive hard working coach, up and down the sidelines, making adjustments I saw a decade ago. The soon to be 71 year old may have lost some speed on his fast ball.

Do you uderstand the Pitino family’s longtime close relationship with Georgetown ?

Rather take my chances with a coach who has already won championships.

So because of Georgetowns longtime close relationship, we don't even try? You gotta atleast try, sorry.

With Cragg being from Duke, a source says Bobby Hurley will be their target. Meanwhile, Georgetown will be looking to hire Pitino.
That would be hard to take. Why do we want Hurley, he hasn't really done much at AZ St., ok maybe more then CMA but that's not saying much.

So we'll get Bobby and be alittle above avg, and Georgetown will be getting to atleast the 2nd week of the NCAA Tourny by his 3rd year.

Bobby doesn't do it for me. I'm getting a splitting headache just thinking of SJU being nothing with Hurley and G-Town kicking ass with Pitino.

If SJU doesn't atleast try for Pitino then they don't deserve any fans, just my opinion.
I thought the Hurley brothers said they would never coach in the same conference because they didn’t want to compete against each other?

If Pitino is out of the equation, then you have to make run at Chris Mack before you consider any of these next tier coaches.
Agree I guess. Not sure I'll care if we don't hit a HR for next hire.
I've gotten to the point that we'll always suck unless we hire a can't miss elite coach.
Just how I feel.

Back