Possible Coaching Candidates

They made the tourney in their first 5 seasons in the A10 with Shaka and Wade and only 2/5 with Rhoades so far, and they aren't in the at large picture at this point for this season either.
That's not the right way to look at it. First off at his height at VCU Shaka would not come to SJU. He was looked at by much bigger jobs before jumping to Texas.

Secondly the last 5 seasons Rhoades has finished 1st, 8th, 2nd, 2nd and currently 1st in A10.

Like I said not the sexiest choice but consistently good in A10.

Iona players punting the season to keep bigger schools from going after Rick? Iona is in quite the downslide

WOW…. a conspiracy theory.

During the Siena drilling the soon to be 71 year old Rick Pitino sure did not look like the energetic slick Rick of a decade ago.

Too many coaching hires have fooled those hiring, for one reason or another. Ability or character, or with a soft conference schedule misrepresenting his ability. No more hires with participation trophies on their resumes. Battle-tested and ready for primetime only.

Almost all the names mentioned here will not likely change anything. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. SJU basketball has been sinking for over 20 years, and a coaching change every 5 years with no improvement is proof of that. The only choice that would interest me is Rick Pitino, mostly out of curiosity, but also because he is the most successful of any name mentioned except for Jay Wright, which is as likely as Pat Riley and a few other names thrown about.

My vote St. John’s next coach is Robert Jones of Norfolk State an nyc guy
I think him being next coach would mean we whiffed on a bunch of candidates, but I actually suspect he would be on an initial list.

Hopefully we don't have to go past No. 2 on any list we have.

My vote St. John’s next coach is Robert Jones of Norfolk State an nyc guy
He's had a fairly mediocre run at Norfolk which is the best job in that conference but has turned it up the past couple years. Another guy that would be looking at a massive massive bump in level going from MEAC to Big East. That's a 3 level bump. Would be a big gamble to hope he's the one that is going to be able to compete with guys like Miller and Shaka

He's had a fairly mediocre run at Norfolk which is the best job in that conference but has turned it up the past couple years. Another guy that would be looking at a massive massive bump in level going from MEAC to Big East. That's a 3 level bump. Would be a big gamble to hope he's the one that is going to be able to compete with guys like Miller and Shaka

One plus is that he's from Jamaica Queens. So this might be a dream job for him. I admittedly know little about him though.

I actually think Robert Jones would be a good candidate, assuming we whiff on Pitino. He's a NY guys - from Jamaica and coached at St. Mary's on Long Island. Record at Norfolk State is impressive.

Given what the list of realistic non-Pitino candidates is likely to look like - mediocre retreads, unproven assistants, or successful mid-majors - I'd put him pretty high on the list.

I actually think Robert Jones would be a good candidate, assuming we whiff on Pitino. He's a NY guys - from Jamaica and coached at St. Mary's on Long Island. Record at Norfolk State is impressive.

Given what the list of realistic non-Pitino candidates is likely to look like - mediocre retreads, unproven assistants, or successful mid-majors - I'd put him pretty high on the list.
Wouldnt run Jones off, but when looking at some of smaller level options, I am much more impressed with what Langel has done at Colgate.

Langel has done a great job by any measure. Would be fine considering him also, assuming Pitino is not in the mix.

He's finished 1st or 2nd in his conference for 9 straight years.

Granted I never heard of him til now, but that's still gotta count for something.

Back