Possible Coaching Candidates

If there is a coaching change, which I am not so sure of, I have been against Pitino. But these points you make give me something to rethink. If we have Pitino for only 3-5 years--because who knows how long he'll have the passion to coach--aren't we back to the same spot? I'd rather we try to find a transformational type of coach we can have for a decade or more. Kind of like Mark Schmidt has been at Bonaventure, Cooley, and likely Pikiel.
Job would be a much more appealing destination post-Pitino.

Everything about the program changes for the better one second into a Pitino tenure.

I’m sure by this time representatives of Pitino and Father Shanley have spoken and both parties are aware of the others interests. Would Father Shanley offer the job and would Pitino accept.
We will find out in April.

I’m sure by this time representatives of Pitino and Father Shanley have spoken and both parties are aware of the others interests. Would Father Shanley offer the job and would Pitino accept.
We will find out in April.
Mutual interest? I would be surprised.

Job would be a much more appealing destination post-Pitino.

Everything about the program changes for the better one second into a Pitino tenure.
that may have been true in the past, but i am not so sure you can expect a coach in his mid-70's to have that same passion. Plus he inherited an Iona program that has dominated its conference for years.

If there is a coaching change, which I am not so sure of, I have been against Pitino. But these points you make give me something to rethink. If we have Pitino for only 3-5 years--because who knows how long he'll have the passion to coach--aren't we back to the same spot? I'd rather we try to find a transformational type of coach we can have for a decade or more. Kind of like Mark Schmidt has been at Bonaventure, Cooley, and likely Pikiel.
Pretty sure Pitino would be "transformational" -- transforming us from the irrelevant, mediocre (even poor) program we've been for seemingly ages into a winning one ... and doing it quickly.

Or, to tweak T.S. Eliot "April could turn out to be the cruelest month."
January's been bad enough Redken, seems like 2023 is shaping up to be one to forget for long suffering Johnnie fans. Who knows, maybe April will bring a smile to us all!

If that Iona second half was played by St. John’s, the coach would have been ripped to shreds.

Cronin last night was up 12 at half, lost by 13. Basketball is zero sum game.

If that Iona second half was played by St. John’s, the coach would have been ripped to shreds.

- zero adjustments
- bad usage of Time Outs
- players look like they quit
- crazy substitutions
- only scored 17 points in final 20 minutes (out scored by 20 pts in the half)

When I watched the second half of last nights Siena vs. Iona game on ESPN+ it did not appear that Coach Pitino had the same pep in his step that he had once had.

Siena’s Maciariello had a game plan and his team played his plan. Iona, on the other hand looked at times as unorganized as St. John’s team do.

Siena is Maciariello’s first college head coaching position, this being his 4th season. His record is
71- 36 overall (63%) and
47-19 (71%) in the MAAC
Maciariello’s team has two first place finishes in the MAAC and is currently in 1st place.

i am not suggesting Maciariello for St. John’s but based upon last night, and his record he will likely have opportunities beyond Loudonville in the future.

Last edited:
Back