Possible Coaching Candidates

I'd sacrifice the entire roster leaving to have Pitino here next season. Yeah we'd have a really rough year or two, it'd be well worth it in the long run.
We won’t have a rough year Monte. Pitino would keepPosh, Storr, Gardner and Soriano. Then through the transfer portal he’d restock the entire roster in the off-season. He’d probably bring his two best players from Iona with him. I guarantee you, if Pitino came here we would be no worse than Bubble team next year.

We won’t have a rough year Monte. Pitino would keepPosh, Storr, Gardner and Soriano. Then through the transfer portal he’d restock the entire roster in the off-season. He’d probably bring his two best players from Iona with him. I guarantee you, if Pitino came here we would be no worse than Bubble team next year.

You forgot about his ability to alter the space-time continuum and bring back Harry Boykoff to anchor the frontline.

Boy, whoever is here next year is looking at totally retooling the roster. Whether CMA gets fired or not who from this team is going to be on the roster next year?

Soriano probably gone either transferring to a place that will give him real NIL money or pro somewhere
Curbelo and Jones probably won't be welcome by the next coach
Posh probably realizes he'd be better off with a change of scenery for his final season(s)
Storr already has one foot out the door and rightfully so
King, Stanley, Nyiwe are all better suited down a level or two
Maybe Wusu and Pinzon stay? But why would they?

If CMA gets fired and Van and Shoes are out the door too then what's keeping Gardner, Lendeborg, and Reed committed here?

Whoever the next coach is will have a pretty big immediate rebuild on their hands. I hope whoever it is considers keeping one or both of Van and Shoes on staff to bridge the gap and potentially make a run at keeping Storr, Gardner, Lendeborg, and Reed as somewhat of a foundation to build around.

When new coaches come in they have their own staff in mind. A great coach will bring in talent and secure what talent is left behind. He won’t need holdover staff members and will probably want to distance himself and the program as far away from the stench of the previous program.

Haven't seen Oliver Purnells name mentioned here yet. I think SJU could convince him to come. and we are already running his offensive and defensive systems, so it would be a seamless transition.

Haven't seen Oliver Purnells name mentioned here yet. I think SJU could convince him to come. and we are already running his offensive and defensive systems, so it would be a seamless transition.
Last stop was DePaul in 2015 and has 0 NCAA Tournament wins. Seems like the perfect hire for St. John's.

When new coaches come in they have their own staff in mind. A great coach will bring in talent and secure what talent is left behind. He won’t need holdover staff members and will probably want to distance himself and the program as far away from the stench of the previous program.
Agreed. "a new broom sweeps clean"

Hopefully none of you who are singing Pitino’s praises are related to him.

We already went through something similar when Bobby Gonzalez’s sister anonymously advocated for him.

Good times.

I would take Pitino over just about any coach out there. Not because I'm convinced he will instantly and magically make this a winning program again, but because it will tell us, once and for all, if the years of losing, coupled with poor program management and lackluster facilities are the real problem. Only the most naive people could possibly believe that the blue blood programs play it clean when recruiting. If they cheat, then how the heck is a program stuck in neutral going to get the players needed to succeed in a power conference without finding an edge. I'm hoping "Hi, I'm coaching legend Rick Pitino, and your 4 star son belongs at St. John's" works like a charm, but I'm not buying it. Pitino will need an edge beyond his track record of success. Maybe NIL is that edge. I am curious as can be to find out.

I would take Pitino over just about any coach out there. Not because I'm convinced he will instantly and magically make this a winning program again, but because it will tell us, once and for all, if the years of losing, coupled with poor program management and lackluster facilities are the real problem. Only the most naive people could possibly believe that the blue blood programs play it clean when recruiting. If they cheat, then how the heck is a program stuck in neutral going to get the players needed to succeed in a power conference without finding an edge. I'm hoping "Hi, I'm coaching legend Rick Pitino, and your 4 star son belongs at St. John's" works like a charm, but I'm not buying it. Pitino will need an edge beyond his track record of success. Maybe NIL is that edge. I am curious as can be to find out.
Whatever "edge" is needed, Pitino will figure out how to get it. I don't think he'll need to resort to breaking any rules, but I'm fine with him bending them as much as he needs to.

Hopefully Pitino knows Ripole and can work some magic for the program from that angle.

I thought that Ripole's name was banned from this board. He don't care about the program and it's been proven for the last 10 years.

When something doesn’t work for 20+ years (firing a coach every 4-5 years) it might be time to say it’s me. I’m the issue!

Perhaps but if one hasn’t had sex for years (or a winning program), one may be desperate enough to take the plunge. 😂👍
dive belly flop GIF

You forgot about his ability to alter the space-time continuum and bring back Harry Boykoff to anchor the frontline.
MainMan, did you see what TJ Otzelberger did in one year at Iowa St. with a couple of holdovers and portal transfers. Now in year two they’re in the Top 20. If TJ Otzelberger can do it at Iowa St , I have absolutely no doubt that Pitino can do it here. Otzelberger can’t shine Pitino’s shoes when it comes to coaching and I like Otzelberger as a coach but he’s no Pitino.

Joe Olivia has a lot of power doubt that will ever happen.

If this remains true, it needs to change. Again, his continued employment at SJU is the barrier to bringing Repole back in the fold. Never understood why Oliva is so untouchable.

Back