Mike Anderson - Former Coach

i like MA as a man but he is not getting through to the kids. Did you watch the xaviar game when they focused on the time outs. Millers kids were aware and attentive and when he asked them what they were supposed to do they answered him. our kids were all zoned out thinking what they were going to do after game. we need a coach who can teach and inspire passion.

The St John’s BB program needs to be run like a business intent on making a profit . For nearly its existence , it’s been run like a Academic Department or just another drain on University Resources . Crying and whining about the School having no money for BB is difficult to understand . We just are building a new St Vincent’s Center of Nursing and Health Services that will cost Muliti Millions of Dollars . Such New Facilities are important to the School as it works on improving its Academics , which is a necessity

-There are some outstanding posts on this thread. There's no point in rehashing.
-Most will agree coach is an excellent face of the school. I really liked this hire.
-He's earned millions at St John's...and he deserved it considering what remained out there when we begged him to come.
-The school didn't go the cheap route by hiring some up and coming coach for the usual six figures.
-The way it usually goes at St John's...the past is prelude. Fire Anderson and I'll bet my left nutt we'll get another clone of Anderson. Our track record indicates we'll bring in a crap shoot coach for a couple of million bucks who'll be giving us another four year plan.

-We're really between a rock and a hard place. Here's a reality check.

-If Anderson stays, there will be even less interest among "fans" of this team.
-The bad vibe surrounding the team will worsen.
-Winning cures bad vibes...does anyone see us winning anything at this point?
-I'd bet my right nutt there will be a mass exodus of players if Anderson stays. That means a mad scramble looking through the leftovers in order to come up with enough half decent players to field team.
-Other than a very few years, St John's is a mid-major program in a high major conference. We have to face it.
-Pitino is a major pipe dream. A high major legend isn't coming here. We have a better chance of Jim Calhoun coming out of retirement.
-Most of you will hate this...but I say we keep Anderson and leave the Big East. We are DePaul...Fordham...fill in the blanks.
-We can dominate most mid major leagues while bringing in two and three star talent and playing maybe four games at MSG. It's what we're doing, anyway.
-Looie didn't want to join the Big East. Maybe he was right.
-There are some outstanding posts on this thread. There's no point in rehashing.
-Most will agree coach is an excellent face of the school. I really liked this hire.
-He's earned millions at St John's...and he deserved it considering what remained out there when we begged him to come.
-The school didn't go the cheap route by hiring some up and coming coach for the usual six figures.
-The way it usually goes at St John's...the past is prelude. Fire Anderson and I'll bet my left nutt we'll get another clone of Anderson. Our track record indicates we'll bring in a crap shoot coach for a couple of million bucks who'll be giving us another four year plan.

-We're really between a rock and a hard place. Here's a reality check.

-If Anderson stays, there will be even less interest among "fans" of this team.
-The bad vibe surrounding the team will worsen.
-Winning cures bad vibes...does anyone see us winning anything at this point?
-I'd bet my right nutt there will be a mass exodus of players if Anderson stays. That means a mad scramble looking through the leftovers in order to come up with enough half decent players to field team.
-Other than a very few years, St John's is a mid-major program in a high major conference. We have to face it.
-Pitino is a major pipe dream. A high major legend isn't coming here. We have a better chance of Jim Calhoun coming out of retirement.
-Most of you will hate this...but I say we keep Anderson and leave the Big East. We are DePaul...Fordham...fill in the blanks.
-We can dominate most mid major leagues while bringing in two and three star talent and playing maybe four games at MSG. It's what we're doing, anyway.
-Looie didn't want to join the Big East. Maybe he was right.
If they kept Anderson and moved to a lesser conference, the team, would still lose badly at a lower conference.

It was less than a decade ago when Rutgers basketball was in way worse shape than SJU basketball is right now. They were considered one of the hardest places to win in the country due to their move to the B10 and lack of basketball glory among many other reasons. They went out and hired the right guy for the job though and they are going to make what would be their 4th NCAA Tournament appearance in a row this year had Covid not cancelled the 2020 tourney.

We just need to hire the right guy. That’s all it takes

It was less than a decade ago when Rutgers basketball was in way worse shape than SJU basketball is right now. They were considered one of the hardest places to win in the country due to their move to the B10 and lack of basketball glory among many other reasons. They went out and hired the right guy for the job though and they are going to make what would be their 4th NCAA Tournament appearance in a row this year had Covid not cancelled the 2020 tourney.

We just need to hire the right guy. That’s all it takes
And deeper pockets.

This idea that we are somehow doomed to be bottom dwellers in the Big East makes no sense to me. Forget about UCONN & NOVA and look at schools like Marquette & Seton Hall; both Catholic colleges with student populations around 10 or 11K (we are 14K) and neither are the only game in town (see U of Wisconsin & Rutgers, state schools with far more resources). Both have had some down years but with good coaches (Willard & Smart) have been or are dance teams. We should at worst be a middle of the pack Big East team.

Last edited:
History has proven that the university can’t get the main sports team on track. Sure Lavin had a couple successful seasons, but he is gone.

I have 0 faith they will replace Anderson and 0 faith if they did that they would get the right hire.

Like prior seasons, over hyped and shitty product on the court.

Clearly Shanley has ability to consider a change, but given $, does Shanley have have to get approval from a majority of Board, a select sub committee ?

To me, that becomes a barrier for both decisions (fire, approve a candidate)

The student body doesn’t seem interested, now and for many years.

If we win, we'll draw enough from all over NYC(especially when we play at MSG) and on Long Island. The student body has never been the primary supporter of SJU basketball, and likely never will. Gimmicks or no gimmicks (are you listening Mike Cragg?)
Honestly monte, earlier in the year I checked the 4 B.E. games vs. B.E. team at MSG, every seat is over $81 even in the 2nd tier, for that much money I'll stay home and watch them on T.V. Unless they're top 5 team and playing against a top 5 team.

I'll double check that now though.

Yep: $81.85 for every game, every seat.

Last edited:
The student body doesn’t seem interested, now and for many years.

I recently ran into a guy with a St John's sweatshirt on (I rarely ever see people with St John's gear in Manhattan) and asked if he was a fan of the basketball team. He said he graduated while Lavin was coach, but pretty much hasn't followed since.

Honestly monte, earlier in the year I checked the 4 B.E. games vs. B.E. team at MSG, every seat is over $81 even in the 2nd tier, for that much money I'll stay home and watch them on T.V. Unless they're top 5 team and playing against a top 5 team.

I'll double check that now though.

Yep: $81.85 for every game, every seat.
There are some on this board who would accuse you of not being a "real fan" because your won't overpay to watch and inferior product. In the minds of those people, you should spend the money regardless of what's going on on the court. Needless to say, I vehemently disagree with those people.

There are some on this board who would accuse you of not being a "real fan" because your won't overpay to watch and inferior product. In the minds of those people, you should spend the money regardless of what's going on on the court. Needless to say, I vehemently disagree with those people.
What people say don't faze me monte. That's why i'm not much of a people person, to many people like talking bs.

If we win, we'll draw enough from all over NYC(especially when we play at MSG) and on Long Island. The student body has never been the primary supporter of SJU basketball, and likely never will. Gimmicks or no gimmicks (are you listening Mike Cragg?)
And that’s where Cragg is lacking. He really doesn’t get it. He is trying to fix attendance and interest with a half time circus. He needs to wake up, cut his losses and realize what it will take to fill the stands….. A WINNING TEAM….A COMPETENT STAFF.

Let’s be clear, anybody with a pulse is a better option than CMA. He is a lame duck coach at this point.

There is a frustrating cycle we’ve been in of 1. Hiring new coach 2. 3 years of mediocrity/not sniffing the tournament 3. Barely make the tournament and lose in the first round. 4. Let go of the coach and hire someone to do the same thing.

It’s been rinse/repeat for so many years and the worst part is CMA has even fallen short of that BS standard!! I’ve been saying this for awhile, this feels like the Norm Roberts era 2.0 except Norm actually took us to the NIT once!

We’ve reached the lowest point in a very long time. Apathy is spreading amongst supporters. It’s time to make some phone calls NOW and have a coach ready through back channels. You fire CMA the minute after the BE tournament first round game ends against DePaul or Georgetown and announce the new coach once his season ends. Expect a mass exodus but given the product on the court I can’t say many will be missed.
That isn’t just SJU, that is the majority of basketball hires. My alma mater Charlotte has been in the same cycle for the last 20 years.

Back