Mike Anderson - Former Coach

But here's the thing about last night. We scored 85 points. On most nights that's enough to win a game with ease. On the other hand, Marquette gave up 85 points. So how intense was their defense really?
They were on us and we had a vey difficult time getting inside 15 feet. It was an extremely high tempo game and we actually shot a high % but didn’t get our fair share of easy baskets. They did,

Easy baskets win games.

They were on us and we had a vey difficult time getting inside 15 feet. It was an extremely high tempo game and we actually shot a high % but didn’t get our fair share of easy baskets. They did,

Easy baskets win games.
Yes, we missed way too many easy shots close in at the rim, particularly in the first few minutes of the second half. Don't know if it would have helped stem the tide, but it might have changed the energy of the team.

Lol, the old go to a mid-major post. I knew that was coming. No point in responding again, but suffice it to say it’s absurd.
He says it basically every season and then proceed to say (paraphrased) "He wants to see us contend for NCAA Tournament bids (in a lesser conference)."

In his mind, we'll still continue to get similar talent and beat up on the "lesser conference" foe. Eventually, our pool of talent won't be as wide, which he's not taking into account. Newsie give it a rest. It won't happen.

Easy baskets win games.
Marquette made 20-26 free throws. We made 9.
That's the difference in the score.
Also, inexcusable that Storr played 17 minutes but took only 1 shot! Once in Wusu and Posh should have been setting him up but half the time he was ignored in the corner waiting for the ball. Ball movement and spacing on offense is CYO.

He says it basically every season and then proceed to say (paraphrased) "He wants to see us contend for NCAA Tournament bids (in a lesser conference)."

In his mind, we'll still continue to get similar talent and beat up on the "lesser conference" foe. Eventually, our pool of talent won't be as wide, which he's not taking into account. Newsie give it a rest. It won't happen.
Right...like all this great talent is coming our way. What won't happen is a pipe dream coach. I'm praying for a Pitino type...but, sadly, I've become a realist. I don't know how many losing seasons I have left in me.

Marquette made 20-26 free throws. We made 9.
That's the difference in the score.
Also, inexcusable that Storr played 17 minutes but took only 1 shot! Once in Wusu and Posh should have been setting him up but half the time he was ignored in the corner waiting for the ball. Ball movement and spacing on offense is CYO.
Seems like we never draw FT's. Sure we can complain about the disparity when we play Nova. But is it our reliance of outside shots which we can't hit. Or sloppy defense. Probably both. Because We Are....

I’m sorry but it’s embarrassing that people believe leaving the Big East is a good idea. It’s actually a disgrace. I don’t mean to single out or disrespect any one’s opinion but that’s crap.
No disrespect...but embarrassing is wearing St John's swag with people looking at you with sympathetic eyes. Embarrassing is rooting for a team that's never won an NCAA championship...that hangs its hat on final four appearances in 1985 and 1952. It's embarrassing that the team is almost always in the bottom three of the of the conference. The team virtually never gets it up for the big ones. It's embarrassing to date super models when you can't get it up.

Pitino isn't coming because he is a high major legend? He's at Iona for goodness sakes. Always look forward to your posts recommending dropping down to a mid major conference. Yes by all means let's throw the baby out with the bathwater.
He's at Iona for the same reason Judge, Rodon and Correa took short money to play out a season. No one wanted Pitino because of his NCAA problem. He opted to bid his time in Europe and Iona knowing he'd be exonerated. Now he's ready for the big payday. I don't see that happening at St John's...especially with the generous contract extension given to Anderson.

We also barely want to spring for the MSG rental how. Does anyone think we'd ever set foot on the Garden floor again if we dropped to a lower conference?

We also barely want to spring for the MSG rental how. Does anyone think we'd ever set foot on the Garden floor again if we dropped to a lower conference?
Sure, if we schedule big time opponents. Can anyone say St John's rooters dominate in the stands...or is it out of towners?

As you are no doubt aware we have a very reactionary fan base. I believe the frustration being expressed right now is that we all had high hopes for this team this season but in the key games they have played they have played very poorly. With Norm Roberts the expectations were very low. We hired a career assistant who had a bad loosing record at his one head coaching job, at Division 3 Queens College. Anyone with a little basketball acumen knew Norm was in way over his head. With CMA we hired a head coach that had won at 3 different schools, 2 of which were high majors. The expectations were different from day 1 and were certainly high this year. To réalisé 4 BE games into the schedule that the team had given up is very frustrating. No one expected same.
A very sad state of affairs.
Let me just add RMN that the frustration expressed is not just about this season and/or the last few games, it's about the ineptitude of last 7 coaching hires and the state of the program over the last 23 years. We are fed up and tired of being told "things are going to be different this time, just have patience"

Sure, if we schedule big time opponents. Can anyone say St John's rooters dominate in the stands...or is it out of towners?
The tickets are sold regardless. SJU Administration doesn't care where the money is coming from they just want the money associated with being in the Big East. They would make less money in a smaller conference. So, it's never happening.

Any other thoughts on the scenario are fine as long as it's considered a fantasy exercise.

The tickets are sold regardless. SJU Administration doesn't care where the money is coming from they just want the money associated with being in the Big East. They would make less money in a smaller conference. So, it's never happening.
That's one of the saddest things I've read. I understand parasites love sucking the blood of their host. In this case, you admit it's the Big East. That's us. How many St John's rooters and boosters are happy with the team's state of affairs over the past 20 years? What do you think the next 20 will look like? Are you happy with the same? If you are...let's stay the course and keep Anderson. Others can pleasure themselves thinking about coaches who won't come here. Most of you don't want a lesser conference where we can, at least make the tournament once in a while. I completely understand that. On the other hand, not one of you believes this school will ever legitimately contend for a national championship. That makes getting picked to play in March and maybe win one game the real goal. Maybe one year, we'll be St Peters. Sad.

That's one of the saddest things I've read. I understand parasites love sucking the blood of their host. In this case, you admit it's the Big East. That's us. How many St John's rooters and boosters are happy with the team's state of affairs over the past 20 years? What do you think the next 20 will look like? Are you happy with the same? If you are...let's stay the course and keep Anderson. Others can pleasure themselves thinking about coaches who won't come here. Most of you don't want a lesser conference where we can, at least make the tournament once in a while. I completely understand that. On the other hand, not one of you believes this school will ever legitimately contend for a national championship. That makes getting picked to play in March and maybe win one game the real goal. Maybe one year, we'll be St Peters. Sad.

I am not sure exactly what this post even is. You are talking in circles.

On the other hand, not one of you believes this school will ever legitimately contend for a national championship. That makes getting picked to play in March and maybe win one game the real goal. Maybe one year, we'll be St Peters. Sad.

You say this is sad, I get that, I agree, we should aim higher as fans, we should want more, but how can you say this when your grand suggestion is to demote ourselves to a smaller conference? That is way sadder.

When you are a mid major team, the chances you go on some George Mason/VCU/St Peters type run are like one in a trillion. Resorting ourselves to hoping for THAT instead of just trying to sort out the issues we have here in the Big East does not make much sense at all to me.

This is a defeatist attitude that I guess comes with being a St Johns fan for a long time. But it really isn't helpful to the situation. We are not going anywhere. Our resources and funding are probably not going to undergo any massive positive changes. But, we are still here, in the Big East, and are a desirable job for any basketball coach that may want to break into the most basketball centric conference in college athletics.

We have made missteps with some of the hiring decisions we have made over the years... is that any different from several other schools in our conference? Seton Hall was great in the 90s. They were equally bad in the early 2000s to the early 2010s. But they kept at it and started making the tournament regularly.

It is not just OVER for us. Don't just give up. This is loser talk. Lets make a good hire and turn this shit around.

I’m not sure I understand the question? I’m a pretty content guy, some would say happy.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you to understand the situation. College basketball is big business. This isn’t new. Being sad about me pointing that out is akin to being sad that the sky is blue.

No disrespect...but embarrassing is wearing St John's swag with people looking at you with sympathetic eyes. Embarrassing is rooting for a team that's never won an NCAA championship...that hangs its hat on final four appearances in 1985 and 1952. It's embarrassing that the team is almost always in the bottom three of the of the conference. The team virtually never gets it up for the big ones. It's embarrassing to date super models when you can't get it up.
No disrespect.....but that may be the dumbest post I have ever read. ...and in the last 3 weeks I have read a lot.

What conference do you want to see us in? A-10? MAAC? America East? Why would any big-time school schedule a St. John's from those conferences to play there? They could just schedule another big-time school, and both reap further recruiting benefits by playing a game in NYC.

It would likely be a tournament organizer footing the bill for two big-time schools anyway. I can see it now: Duke vs. Michigan State in the Holiday Tournament at MSG, while St. John's is playing Mount St. Mary's seven hours earlier on campus in front of 1,073 old guys.

Back