Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I've been a huge Mike Anderson supporter, right from the time he was hired. He was by FAR the most accomplished coach who was in the mix during that clown show of a coaching search. I honestly felt we were lucky to get him. (I was 100% against even giving Pitino a sniff at that time.) I thought Anderson did a great job in the first two years. Last year, however, was one of the most disappointing seasons I can remember since I started rooting for the team forty years ago. This year is shaping up to be worse, and we are now in the midst of one of the worst stretches of basketball during the entire Anderson tenure.

Given what we have witnessed, I no longer believe that Anderson can get us where I have always thought we should be - consistently in the top half of the Big East, 20-24 total wins per year, and regularly in the Dance. At this point, with Pitino cleared by the NCAA, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by hiring him.
This sounds like a post I wanted to type. So I wont and just agree with.

Stages of grief, redmen.com style.

Shock:
Wait, is Mahoney really this bad?
Wait, is Fran this nuts?
Wait, is Jarvis this lazy?
Wait, is Norm this far over his head?
Wait, is Lav being forced out?
Wait, does Mullin shiv a git about this job?
Wait, is Anderson ever going to turn it around?

Denial: Mahoney was BE coach of the year and landed Felipe!
Fran has us back in the dance and two awesome recruiting classes!
Jarvis took us to the Elite 8 and a BE championship!
Norm has so much to overcome!
Lav's the CEO of the program; someone else can coach!
Mullin just beat Nova and Duke, he can turn this around!
Anderson needs more time for his system to click!

Anger: Mahoney lost control of this team!
Fran is a few strings short of a hoop!
Jarvis is lazy AND arrogant!
Norm is Norm!
Lav doesn't share the sugar!
Mullin is asleep at the scorer's table!
Anderson is on all access!

Bargaining: If we fire Mahoney, we can get Majerus!
If we fire Fran, we can get Majerus!
If we fire Jarvis, we can get Calipari!
If we fire Norm, we can get Calipari!
If we fire Lav, we can get Danny Hurley!
If we fire Mullin, we can get Bobby Hurley!
If we fire Anderson, we can get Pitino!

Depression: Redmen.com 1997 to present

Acceptance: We will never be as good as we were in the 80s, but maybe once in a while we can just have some fun again.

Shock:
Wait, is Fran this nuts?

Norm is Norm!

Acceptance: We will never be as good as we were in the 80s, but maybe once in a while we can just have some fun again.
nice work!!!

Shock:
Wait, is Fran this nuts?

Norm is Norm!

Acceptance: We will never be as good as we were in the 80s, but maybe once in a while we can just have some fun our
Your last sentence says it all keep hoping we know how great it can be

The roster is flawed with no real knock down shooters and CMA is either unwilling, or unable to run an offense that can take advantage of the athletes he has. We should be running a Princeton offense. Constant screening and back door cuts. We take Storr, who in my opinion is one of the better shoters we have, and tell him to go stand in the corner. You don't get open looks by standing still. Unwilling or unable means it is time to start over....again.

CMA needs to coach the players, not tell to, "Get Tough!" It's not just in-game coaching that is lacking. What the hell does he do in practice? Too many FUBARs occurring in games to believe that he accomplishes much in practice. The OOC schedule is strictly to ensure that CMA gets his Participation Trophy (Streak of Non-Losing Seasons). Will CMA change as a coach? He does not seem to be aware of his shortcomings from what I have seen. He seems like a genuine, nice man. But he does not appear to be the solution for the SJU basketball program. Finish the season and resign would be the preferable solution. Next? Pitino, NO!

Last edited:
CMA needs to coach the players, not tell to, "Get Tough!" It's not just in-game coaching that is lacking. What the hell does he do in practice? Too many FUBARs occurring in games to believe that he accomplishes much in practice. The OOC schedule is strictly to ensure that CMA gets his Participation Trophy (Streak of Non-Losing Seasons). Will CMA change as a coach? He does not seem to be aware of his shortcomings from what I have seen. He seems like a genuine, nice man. But he does not appear to be the solution for the SJU basketball program. Finish the season and resign would be the preferable solution. Next? Pitino, NO!
CMA is a genuine, nice man but he is not the solution for the SJU basketball program. Rick Pitino is not a genuine or nice man, but he is the solution for the SJU basketball program.

You know something I've wondered for awhile now is the role of TJ Cleveland on the staff. It was always curious to me that he was originally brought in as Associate Head Coach when he also happens to be related to Anderson. Well from what it appears hes not doing the heavy lifting with recruiting. And if there isn't much coaching being done, only makes me wonder even more what his role is here.

you guys see what Curbelo posted from his Snap/insta?... he was at the back of CMA's post-game press conference (sparse attendance) "No caption need" with crying faces...

Not sure these are actions of a player trying to improve his standing with the Staff
Crying tears or crying laughter??? 😂😭

-There are some outstanding posts on this thread. There's no point in rehashing.
-Most will agree coach is an excellent face of the school. I really liked this hire.
-He's earned millions at St John's...and he deserved it considering what remained out there when we begged him to come.
-The school didn't go the cheap route by hiring some up and coming coach for the usual six figures.
-The way it usually goes at St John's...the past is prelude. Fire Anderson and I'll bet my left nutt we'll get another clone of Anderson. Our track record indicates we'll bring in a crap shoot coach for a couple of million bucks who'll be giving us another four year plan.

-We're really between a rock and a hard place. Here's a reality check.

-If Anderson stays, there will be even less interest among "fans" of this team.
-The bad vibe surrounding the team will worsen.
-Winning cures bad vibes...does anyone see us winning anything at this point?
-I'd bet my right nutt there will be a mass exodus of players if Anderson stays. That means a mad scramble looking through the leftovers in order to come up with enough half decent players to field team.
-Other than a very few years, St John's is a mid-major program in a high major conference. We have to face it.
-Pitino is a major pipe dream. A high major legend isn't coming here. We have a better chance of Jim Calhoun coming out of retirement.
-Most of you will hate this...but I say we keep Anderson and leave the Big East. We are DePaul...Fordham...fill in the blanks.
-We can dominate most mid major leagues while bringing in two and three star talent and playing maybe four games at MSG. It's what we're doing, anyway.
-Looie didn't want to join the Big East. Maybe he was right.

Why would we want Bobby Hurley? Didn’t like him when he played, don’t like him now.

Looks like we will be in for another long term rebuild, post-Anderson. Get a good young coach that can recruit.
No coach is coming in here and recruiting without NIL money. A young up and comer will not have the ability to fund raise and attract the type of NIL money that we are going to need to compete. Pitino will attract both immediately!

There was no “begging” Anderson to come. He was vetted and interviewed by Cragg just like every other candidate.
I doubt we can leave the Big East…think of the financial blow to the University…tv revenue, and NCAA shares from all the other BE teams that do go.
“Dominate” in a mid major? A drop down in the level of play brings a drop down in the talent pool that will even look at SJU in recruiting. I can’t think of any school That left their conference and then dominated at a lower level?

There was no “begging” Anderson to come. He was vetted and interviewed by Cragg just like every other candidate.
I doubt we can leave the Big East…think of the financial blow to the University…tv revenue, and NCAA shares from all the other BE teams that do go.
“Dominate” in a mid major? A drop down in the level of play brings a drop down in the talent pool that will even look at SJU in recruiting. I can’t think of any school That left their conference and then dominated at a lower level?
Agree that dropping down a level in conference will not help. We may dominate a lower level conference with the players we have now. But these players would have never come to St. John's if were in a mid-major conference, like the MAAC or the NEC. I can't see future high prospects wanting to come here if we drop down a conference.

-Most of you will hate this...but I say we keep Anderson and leave the Big East. We are DePaul...Fordham...fill in the blanks.
-We can dominate most mid major leagues while bringing in two and three star talent and playing maybe four games at MSG. It's what we're doing, anyway.
I really can't tell when people suggest leaving the BE... if they are serious. Is it fun losing...nope. But would we rather win in the NEC? Its the dream of schools to move up to competitive conferences... If we struggle getting the 4* here, whats to say we won't struggle getting the 3*s in a lower conf.

Have the Professionals at the helm do their job- if they can't the President (like any CEO) needs to take appropriate action.

-There are some outstanding posts on this thread. There's no point in rehashing.
-Most will agree coach is an excellent face of the school. I really liked this hire.
-He's earned millions at St John's...and he deserved it considering what remained out there when we begged him to come.
-The school didn't go the cheap route by hiring some up and coming coach for the usual six figures.
-The way it usually goes at St John's...the past is prelude. Fire Anderson and I'll bet my left nutt we'll get another clone of Anderson. Our track record indicates we'll bring in a crap shoot coach for a couple of million bucks who'll be giving us another four year plan.

-We're really between a rock and a hard place. Here's a reality check.

-If Anderson stays, there will be even less interest among "fans" of this team.
-The bad vibe surrounding the team will worsen.
-Winning cures bad vibes...does anyone see us winning anything at this point?
-I'd bet my right nutt there will be a mass exodus of players if Anderson stays. That means a mad scramble looking through the leftovers in order to come up with enough half decent players to field team.
-Other than a very few years, St John's is a mid-major program in a high major conference. We have to face it.
-Pitino is a major pipe dream. A high major legend isn't coming here. We have a better chance of Jim Calhoun coming out of retirement.
-Looie didn't want to join the Big East. Maybe he was right.
Pitino isn't coming because he is a high major legend? He's at Iona for goodness sakes. Always look forward to your posts recommending dropping down to a mid major conference. Yes by all means let's throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Back