Mike Anderson - Former Coach

This season is not over yet but it has been exceedingly disappointing so far. The Coaches and specifically the Head Coach need to be accountable for this. The reasons for the slow starts we have had in other recent past seasons really don't apply in the same way. The Dominican Republic trip was supposed to give us extra time to gel, but the team has not meshed well at all and importantly don't seem to be focused or cohesive. From my perspective, the whole Mike Anderson era has not been the disaster some are saying that it is. He was after all named the Big East coach of the year in 2020-2021 and that was just two seasons ago. Last year was a bit of a step backward and this year has been yet another step backward thus far. Personally, I am still rooting for the team to turn it around and save the season and will be happy to see a class guy like Anderson continue on.

I know many here are clamoring for Pitino, but personally I think it is a pipedream and is never going to happen. However, I am wrong plenty of the time so If Pitino somehow does come here it will give many in the fanbase a coach who's track record for winning on the court can not be questioned.

Room 112 - I actually think Posh has been a straight line down from his freshman year to now. He was worse last year than he was as a freshman, and he’s much worse now than at any point. Champs is a mixed bag - a big jump between his frosh and soph seasons, but he was better as a sophomore than he was last year. Wusu improved last year but has taken a big step back this year. Wheeler I agree with you about.

Mahoney was coach of year his first season. How did that work out. He won it because he overachieved what the coaches predicted before the season that is all he didn’t make the tournament.

This season is not over yet but it has been exceedingly disappointing so far. The Coaches and specifically the Head Coach need to be accountable for this. The reasons for the slow starts we have had in other recent past seasons really don't apply in the same way. The Dominican Republic trip was supposed to give us extra time to gel, but the team has not meshed well at all and importantly don't seem to be focused or cohesive. From my perspective, the whole Mike Anderson era has not been the disaster some are saying that it is. He was after all named the Big East coach of the year in 2020-2021 and that was just two seasons ago. Last year was a bit of a step backward and this year has been yet another step backward thus far. Personally, I am still rooting for the team to turn it around and save the season and will be happy to see a class guy like Anderson continue on.

I know many here are clamoring for Pitino, but personally I think it is a pipedream and is never going to happen. However, I am wrong plenty of the time so If Pitino somehow does come here it will give many in the fanbase a coach who's track record for winning on the court can not be questioned.
This program has been a disaster for the past 20+ years. CMA was supposed to change that. He hasn't and there is absolutely nothing indicating that he is capable of doing so. In fact, we are are trending in the wrong direction. So while his tenure here has not been an unmitigated disaster(I'll argue that none of the past 3 coaches were complete disasters, even Norm) on its own, it's just another period in the darkest era in SJU basketball history.

Room 112 - I actually think Posh has been a straight line down from his freshman year to now. He was worse last year than he was as a freshman, and he’s much worse now than at any point. Champs is a mixed bag - a big jump between his frosh and soph seasons, but he was better as a sophomore than he was last year. Wusu improved last year but has taken a big step back this year. Wheeler I agree with you about.
Let not forget GWill and Earlington. Feel like I'm missing someone who's game improved under CMA.

When Posh takes a shot, away from the basket, he looks like he has trouble with his shoulders, and doesn’t follow through.

Mahoney was coach of year his first season. How did that work out. He won it because he overachieved what the coaches predicted before the season that is all he didn’t make the tournament.
It is interesting to me that mostly our coaches since Lou have had their best moments early on. Mahoney, Jarvis and Lavin's first year's teams were their best team. Thus far Anderson's second year team seems to be his best. I am not quite sure of why this is but as a fan it is tough to watch any of the coaches we have had struggle to sustain their early success.

Feel bad for Van Macon and Shoes. They've been working their tails off and will probably have to uproot their families once again for a new job this spring due to no fault of their own. Hope whoever the next guy is considers keeping one or both of them.
Sorry but whoever comes in should clean house and start from new. I’m sure the players may not want any part of the old regime around.

This program has been a disaster for the past 20+ years. CMA was supposed to change that. He hasn't and there is absolutely nothing indicating that he is capable of doing so. In fact, we are are trending in the wrong direction. So while his tenure here has not been an unmitigated disaster(I'll argue that none of the past 3 coaches were complete disasters, even Norm) on its own, it's just another period in the darkest era in SJU basketball history.
You are right Monte it has been unbelievable that we have not won a single NCAA tournament game since beating Northern Arizona in March of 2000. When we went to the elite eight the prior year (1999) and lost a close game to Ohio State (that if we had won would have put us in the final four) no one and I mean no one would have been able to foresee that we would come up empty for basically the first quarter of the twenty-first century. IMO this goes way beyond any of the coaches and almost takes on the look of kind of a voodoo type curse. Perhaps instead of changing coaches an exorcism would be more appropriate😀😀😀😀!!!

FWIW I'm not at all convinced that Cragg and Shanley are anywhere close to making a coaching change. I think they'll see how the rest of the season plays out. Unless we have a disastrous season, not a bad season, they bring CMA back for another year. IMO a bad season would be an 7th-8th place finish in conference and a borderline NIT team. Anything better then that, including an NIT bid, and for sure he's back. Anything worse and they consider a change. That's just my feeling.

I believe you're right Monte.

Not that they would have confidence in a turn around in Year 5, but more so, they don't have confidence they could get someone else in their price range who they think can do better and not wanting to cut a going away check.

So frustrating seeing this program can't get things right...

Still shocked me that at X game on Wed not one coach was on court with them during pre game shoot around for 60 min...was a free for all. Xavier pregame routine looked more like an army. Everything was orchestrated.

FWIW I'm not at all convinced that Cragg and Shanley are anywhere close to making a coaching change. I think they'll see how the rest of the season plays out. Unless we have a disastrous season, not a bad season, they bring CMA back for another year. IMO a bad season would be an 7th-8th place finish in conference and a borderline NIT team. Anything better then that, including an NIT bid, and for sure he's back. Anything worse and they consider a change. That's just my feeling.
I tend to agree

I believe you're right Monte.

Not that they would have confidence in a turn around in Year 5, but more so, they don't have confidence they could get someone else in their price range who they think can do better and not wanting to cut a going away check.

So frustrating seeing this program can't get things right...
That’s why they need to start putting the wheels in motion now and not mid March. Maryland knew they were hiring Willard long before March and SHU knew that and did their work to secure Holloway even before the St Peters run.

Would love for Pitino to SJU to become one of those poorly kept secrets come mid February

Totally agree.

You could be right. I really have no idea where Cragg and Shanley might stand on this. All I can say is, just four days ago, I was squarely in CMA's corner and of the belief that we were on the right track. I feel different now. These last two games could be enough to sway opinions and strategy.

You could be right. I really have no idea where Cragg and Shanley might stand on this. All I can say is, just four days ago, I was squarely in CMA's corner and of the belief that we were on the right track. I feel different now. These last two games could be enough to sway opinions and strategy.
At least enough to consider considering it.

Back