Mike Anderson - Former Coach

And I am prepared to go into my coffee can with emergency cash to pay a few bills.

This is a lot of nothing.
Way more important words from that article:

Associate head coach Van Macon, responsible for recruiting most of the roster, is running the program for the time being.

Sources said players have been asked to hold off on making any decisions about their future, a hint of the potential hiring of Pitino.

Star center Joel Soriano said after the loss to Marquette on Thursday that he would only return if Anderson was the coach.

But a source close to the standout big man told The Post the comment was made in the heat of the moment and he would be open to returning if Pitino took over.

Florida game was heartbreaking, uphill battle all game. Prior to Maxwell’s 3, Boo tied the game with a clutch baseline jumper. He had a toe on the line and remember Billy Packer calling it the worst shot in college basketball.
Duane S was out for Florida that game. Should have beaten them!

Yup. Back then ESPN had the first round Thursday and Friday games. CBS would get a late game on Thursday and Friday after the local news 11:30 (West Regional game). Then CBS would take over on the weekend 2nd round and the rest of the Tourney.

That game was too late for me so I taped it and refused to watch news next day and went to school not knowing who won or lost.
I loved in California at the time. I was 10. In California, they only had the game on tape delay. My Mom was out for dinner and I was with a babysitter. I convinced her to let me stay up late to watch it. My Mom came home and was pissed!

But a source close to the standout big man told The Post the comment was made in the heat of the moment and he would be open to returning if Pitino took over.
Not even remotely surprised to see this. This is why grown men need to not have knee jerk reactions when an emotional kid just had his season ended and a reporter asks him an obviously loaded question. People saying “see ya” and “goodbye” after seeing that original tweet…SMDH.

Associate head coach Van Macon, responsible for recruiting most of the roster, is running the program for the time being.

Sources said players have been asked to hold off on making any decisions about their future, a hint of the potential hiring of Pitino.

Star center Joel Soriano said after the loss to Marquette on Thursday that he would only return if Anderson was the coach.

I certainly hope Pitino hires Macon as an assistant. He is extremely valuable. Hard worker and has a future as a head coach.

But look at me giving a hall of fame coach advice. 😉

Not even remotely surprised to see this. This is why grown men need to not have knee jerk reactions when an emotional kid just had his season ended and a reporter asks him an obviously loaded question. People saying “see ya” and “goodbye” after seeing that original tweet…SMDH.
Twitter is full of trolls that think they know everything

I certainly hope Pitino hires Macon as an assistant. He is extremely valuable. Hard worker and has a future as a head coach.

But look at me giving a hall of fame coach advice. 😉
Wonder if Macon might be interested in applying for some of the open head coaching positions within the area.

Wonder if Macon might be interested in applying for some of the open head coaching positions within the area.
Pure speculation on my part, but could see Van being very happy to get a year or two's experience working with one of the all time best college basketball coaches. He'll almost certainly get his chance to run a team a few years down the road.

And I am prepared to go into my coffee can with emergency cash to pay a few bills.

This is a lot of nothing.
Disagree, as MainMan said, that’s a lot of scholarships that won’t get funded.

It also tells you that the Repole’s of the world were not willing to step up on the buyout. Makes you wonder if the donors will be there for the NIL $$$ that Pitino will need as a precondition for taking the SJU job.

It also tells you that the Repole’s of the world were not willing to step up on the buyout. Makes you wonder if the donors will be there for the NIL $$$ that Pitino will need as a precondition for taking the SJU job.
A couple of things:
1. I think Main Man is being facetious. But he can clear that up. Scholarships will be funded.

2. Repole and Pitino are close. Pitino could easily be “recruiting” Repole (and every other Wall Streeter) as we speak.

3. Pitino is coach. SJU is no longer pinching pennies because the basketball program will no longer bleed money. It will make money. And lots of it, which will fund many more scholarships you are so concerned about.

Honestly if Pitino lands here, who WOULDNT WANT TO PLAY for a hall of fame possibly one of the top 5 greatest bball college coachs of all time. Plus Pitino would be smart to keep Van Macon, as I see Van Macon as an up and coming coach as well.

A couple of things:
1. I think Main Man is being facetious. But he can clear that up. Scholarships will be funded.

2. Repole and Pitino are close. Pitino could easily be “recruiting” Repole (and every other Wall Streeter) as we speak.

3. Pitino is coach. SJU is no longer pinching pennies because the basketball program will no longer bleed money. It will make money. And lots of it, which will fund many more scholarships you are considered about.
And winning on a national level brings more students into the school

This is a small investment for the long term endowment to our school and basketball program. Our identity is basketball and even seen by enrollment and donations to large schools, sports often help drive the ship and bring money into the schools.

Look at what Phil Knight has done for Oregon sports overall, but also school and facilities. SJU has been pennywise and pound foolish with their dealings with Repole etc. Time to hire a big time coach and allow our potentially big benefactors some say in this stuff. Get us Bodyarmor Arena, I don’t care.

I live in Exeter New Hampshire which houses the prep school Philips Exeter Academy. Their endowment is over 1.4 billion which is double SJU’s and they are a high school with far smaller enrollment. The money comes from wealthy donors and the link between the donors and the school is extremely important. Sports at colleges influence that tremendously.

Time to get guys like Repole and others cozier with our program. With the NIL now, it is even more important. 10 million to buy Anderson out is no big deal if Shanley and the people at SJU start to realize that an investment into top notch coaches and the relationships with boosters can be facilitated by making bold coaching choices and really invest in winning.

We don’t have college football to fund. Basketball is all we got. Need to treat it with kid gloves, and not make weak, PC hires.

Back