Mike Anderson - Former Coach

Thinking about Pitino…I was just recalling being absolutely destroyed by Providence with Billy Donovan and Delray Brooks lighting us up from 3 at the Big East Tournament. Anyone else remember being at that game. I was so pissed. I think there was another game after it but I can’t remember who even played. Ugh. Bad memory.
I was in the 8th grade and listened to the conference tourney game on the radio and was devastated hearing Donovan and company nailing treys on us. My brothers laughing each and every time Providence hit a three. I eventually turned off the radio at halftime.

Whether he provided funding for the buyout and/or the new hire, it's all good. He's a winner, a local guy and a diehard fan. It was completely foolish of the school to not maintain a relationship with him. My sense is that Shanley sees that.
Proving at the very least Shanley is not as dumb as a doorknob

Thinking about Pitino…I was just recalling being absolutely destroyed by Providence with Billy Donovan and Delray Brooks lighting us up from 3 at the Big East Tournament. Anyone else remember being at that game. I was so pissed. I think there was another game after it but I can’t remember who even played. Ugh. Bad memory.
Remember watching on MSG Network, hyped for a great game. Both regular season games were close. Just got totally blitzed by their bomb squad and Lou had no answers. This was the 4/5 seed game and was the last quarterfinal of the night. Top seeded Georgetown beat BC in the game before ours.

Remember watching on MSG Network, hyped for a great game. Both regular season games were close. Just got totally blitzed by their bomb squad and Lou had no answers. This was the 4/5 seed game and was the last quarterfinal of the night. Top seeded Georgetown beat BC in the game before ours.
Yeah, I had a great seat in the student section. Long time ago. We were primed and ready (lubed) and..poof. They hit everything. I thought it was the first game but it’s all a blur.

I am sure you are right. At the time Pitino was the young hotshot Coach and I didn’t like him. Like you said Louie had no answers the 3 was relatively new in College. Now I am praying he comes to St. John’s. Funny how times change.

That began a BAD stretch for Looie in the BET where he failed to win a game for 5 straight years (87 bounced by PC, 88 choked late against Nova, 89 lost the 8/9 play-in to BC, 90 loss to Nova and 91 loss to PC. 92 his last year they barely beat UCONN in OT.

3 of those losses were in the 4/5 matchup (87, 88 and 90)

I was in the 8th grade and listened to the conference tourney game on the radio and was devastated hearing Donovan and company nailing treys on us. My brothers laughing each and every time Providence hit a three. I eventually turned off the radio at halftime.
I was at that Providence - St John’s game and i think the Friars led by 30 at one point . It was one of the worst beatings a Louie Coached team suffered . It was a train wreck . Another awful beating was I think Ewing and Mullin’s freshman year . The Hoyas led 41-9 at one point .

That began a BAD stretch for Looie in the BET where he failed to win a game for 5 straight years (87 bounced by PC, 88 choked late against Nova, 89 lost the 8/9 play-in to BC, 90 loss to Nova and 91 loss to PC. 92 his last year they barely beat UCONN in OT.

3 of those losses were in the 4/5 matchup (87, 88 and 90)
The Villanova quarterfinal will always stick with me. Total meltdown in the final minutes, which included a Steve Shurina charge attempting to dunk the ball. The guy never had a dunk his entire collegiate career and he tried that. Felt real bad for senior Shelton Jones who played a great game.

The Villanova quarterfinal will always stick with me. Total meltdown in the final minutes, which included a Steve Shurina charge attempting to dunk the ball. The guy never had a dunk his entire collegiate career and he tried that. Felt real bad for senior Shelton Jones who played a great game.
Woe, woe, woe. Don’t come down on our boy Shurina. Steve was a good kid. He played at St. Sebastian in Queens then St Francis Prep. I knew him well. Frankly Steve couldn’t jump over a phone book. Dunk!? 😂 He was good student in Prof. Cevasco’s English Lit class though.

Woe, woe, woe. Don’t come down on our boy Shurina. Steve was a good kid. He played at St. Sebastian in Queens then St Francis Prep. I knew him well. Frankly Steve couldn’t jump over a phone book. Dunk!? 😂 He was good student in Prof. Cevasco’s English Lit class though.
I’m sure he was a good kid. Not sure what possessed him to even try that. Will never forget Lou’s reaction.

Yup remember it Plansky I think hit a 3 late to tie it. Everyone thought SJU needed that to get in Tourney and so it was really disappointing. They snuck in as an 11 seed. Played Florida at 11:30 on CBS in Salt Lake City 6/11 game. I remember I taped the game and watched after school the following Friday and they lost on a late Vernon Maxwell 3.

One thing that makes me think it is already done: no mention of a search or a committee.
Let’s hope so. The last few times we had a “search committee” it didn’t work out very well. Lots of divisiveness if I remember correctly.

Yup remember it Plansky I think hit a 3 late to tie it. Everyone thought SJU needed that to get in Tourney and so it was really disappointing. They snuck in as an 11 seed. Played Florida at 11:30 on CBS in Salt Lake City 6/11 game. I remember I taped the game and watched after school the following Friday and they lost on a late Vernon Maxwell 3.
Florida game was heartbreaking, uphill battle all game. Prior to Maxwell’s 3, Boo tied the game with a clutch baseline jumper. He had a toe on the line and remember Billy Packer calling it the worst shot in college basketball.

Florida game was heartbreaking, uphill battle all game. Prior to Maxwell’s 3, Boo tied the game with a clutch baseline jumper. He had a toe on the line and remember Billy Packer calling it the worst shot in college basketball.
Stayed up late for that one. Wasn’t that Michael Porters last game with SJU. He played 1 season I think?

Yup. Back then ESPN had the first round Thursday and Friday games. CBS would get a late game on Thursday and Friday after the local news 11:30 (West Regional game). Then CBS would take over on the weekend 2nd round and the rest of the Tourney.

That game was too late for me so I taped it and refused to watch news next day and went to school not knowing who won or lost.

Back