Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

I told Mike and Monte that you’ve been right all along. I disagree that Marquette got the calls. Kolek hit every call in the last few minutes. But Jenkins can’t be taking our last shot. He needs to find an open and higher percentage shooter.
To be fair Jnaw said " That Marillac I like him but he's crazier than an uber bike rider in Manhattan " :)

Without reading any prior messages on this board, here are my thoughts:

Great crowd , better than PC game. Seemed more like 14k than than the 12k announced. Pretty quiet though when we went down by 11 in the second half.

Good comeback to get us to final shot.

Ledlum was a beast and played like the player we thought we were getting.

Too bad it wasn't the Brady show today. Could have used a good contribution from him.

MQ is real good and, like last year, with all pieces in place to win the BE and go far in the tournament.

Thought play for last shot was good. Good D on the play.

There were four seconds left and we had to go the length of the court. Of course a Jenkins three is not our first option if we can run our stuff with time on the clock. But with four seconds left that was a tremendous look from someone who can hit the shot. If we were in that situation ten times, I’m not sure we’d get a better look.
I told OLV72 before it I wanted either Jenkins clean look or Luis to draw foul. Got the Jenkins clean look he’s not Hardy I’m not going to complain over last shot. Can complain about a lot of stuff second half but not the last shot

At the peak of Jenkin's elevation on that final shot, the defender's hands not only looked to be way short of the blocking the shot, but not even in Jenkin's face. Conversely, what if Jenkins drove to the basket, no one laid a hand on him and before he could get off a shot, time ran out?

How can you say that? We came within a heartbeat of beating UConn, creighton and Marquette, with two of those games being on the road. We could have easily won one or all of those games. We clearly have enough talent to get a signature win. Whether we have the right mindset, chemistry and/or winning plays down the stretch remains to be see .
We are a real quality Big East team with a core
of quality players.
Those bad luck endings really have
a way of evening out., so
better to have them in the first half of the season.

Our team has a good outlook for many reasons.
Hang in there Johnny fans , your encouragement
can be so meaningful !!!

Latest Comments From Zach Braziller:

A few quick thoughts on today’s loss to Marquette according to Zach Braziller, NY Post

-- Rick Pitino was very positive after the loss. He was encouraged by the late run. I felt he took this tact for two reasons: 1. This team doesn't need negativity. It's facing adversity. There was no need for the coach to pile on. 2. St. John's was shorthanded and showed you something by digging deep when so much was going wrong.

--I get the reaction from the fan base. I do. You're lost a lot for 25 years. You're tired of it. Before you go burying this team, remember: 6-6 in Quad 1/2 games, good metrics and all Bracketology projections have them in the tournament as an 8-10 seed.

-- I think Wednesday against Villanova is as close to a must-win as you can get in January. Team needs to stop the bleeding. Already beat Villanova handily on the road. Will be home. Just a massive game. Will be favored by at least a few points.

-- Have been told the Nahiem Alleyne injury isn't as bad as first thought. We'll know more in the next 48 hours.
-- I thought Joel Soriano was much better late in the game. St. John's needs him to find his game. He was so pivotal in that 4-1 league start.

-- Everyone breathe. Trust the Hall of Fame coach, who believes the team took a step forward at the end. Enjoy the football.

Last thought: Everyone would've signed up for 12-8 in league play. Take out the four Georgetown/DePaul games. Go 4-4 in other eight and you're right on track.

At the peak of Jenkin's elevation on that final shot, the defender's hands not only looked to be way short of the blocking the shot, but not even in Jenkin's face. Conversely, what if Jenkins drove to the basket, no one laid a hand on him and before he could get off a shot, time ran out?
What if he gets off a three point shot and misses? Oh wait, that’s what happened. I would rather see him try drawing a foul or penetrating and taking a pull up mid range shot.

Over that loss enough to finally login here... Will keep it positive:
- What an atmosphere the crowd provided the last 3 mins
- What a comeback by the boys - showed fight- great to see
- It would have been louder than Pitt if Jenkins hit that shot
- Kid made it on the dancecam- made his day.

There were four seconds left and we had to go the length of the court. Of course a Jenkins three is not our first option if we can run our stuff with time on the clock. But with four seconds left that was a tremendous look from someone who can hit the shot. If we were in that situation ten times, I’m not sure we’d get a better look.
What you call a tremendous look is what every coach in the Big East coaching against us calls their plan A.

Jenkins shoots 30% from 3. That is a 70% chance of failure. Soriano makes maybe 3 passes a season from where he made that pass. That play had an 80-85% chance of failing.

Jenkins would be open 100x out of 100 unless Marquette was coached by Shaka Dumb.

Latest Comments From Zach Braziller:

A few quick thoughts on today’s loss to Marquette according to Zach Braziller, NY Post

-- Rick Pitino was very positive after the loss. He was encouraged by the late run. I felt he took this tact for two reasons: 1. This team doesn't need negativity. It's facing adversity. There was no need for the coach to pile on. 2. St. John's was shorthanded and showed you something by digging deep when so much was going wrong.

--I get the reaction from the fan base. I do. You're lost a lot for 25 years. You're tired of it. Before you go burying this team, remember: 6-6 in Quad 1/2 games, good metrics and all Bracketology projections have them in the tournament as an 8-10 seed.

-- I think Wednesday against Villanova is as close to a must-win as you can get in January. Team needs to stop the bleeding. Already beat Villanova handily on the road. Will be home. Just a massive game. Will be favored by at least a few points.

-- Have been told the Nahiem Alleyne injury isn't as bad as first thought. We'll know more in the next 48 hours.
-- I thought Joel Soriano was much better late in the game. St. John's needs him to find his game. He was so pivotal in that 4-1 league start.

-- Everyone breathe. Trust the Hall of Fame coach, who believes the team took a step forward at the end. Enjoy the football.

Last thought: Everyone would've signed up for 12-8 in league play. Take out the four Georgetown/DePaul games. Go 4-4 in other eight and you're right on track.
Here’s the problem with your post above. While I trust Pitino and believe in the long run, we will become a viable program in the future, in terms of this year, losing those two one point games is a killer.

You assume Nova is an automatic win, I disagree. . We beat Nova on the road cause arguably the best guard in the league other than Kokek was out. Moore is playing well and Nova is giving UConn all they can handle. They will be ready when they play us and hopefully we get some big games from our players but not a given win by any means.

Xavier, Butler and PC will be tough road games and all those teams are capable of a win. Georgetown almost won at Xavier so they won’t be a cake walk at home. I do feel we should beat DePaul twice but those are the only games I feel certain about.

Can we win most of these games, yes but we can’t lose any more players to illness or injury. I’d like to think we can beat the Hall but we better bring our A game. More likely we beat Creighton at home. Beating UConn and Marquette will be tall tasks.

In short, there are no easy wins and metrics etc mean nothing unless we win the games we need to win starting with Nova. And let’s not forget, our OOC record is uninspiring and to date we have not beat a top 25 team all season. Go Johnnies.

The Depaul game can't get here soon enough. Was hoping for 1 - 2 and 3 - 3 leading up to it instead got 0 - 3 praying for 2 - 4. Nothing wrong with our players, our coach, our crowds, our venues, our point, our center, etc. We are just plain snakebit! It's the only logical explanation. Some people are just not meant to have nice things and that is us.

It's been mentioned before, but I seriously think CPR should connsider playing Soriano and Ejiofor together.
I dont understand why Pitino hasnt done it at all. At least he could have tested it numerous times in games for short stretchs earlier in season.

What you call a tremendous look is what every coach in the Big East coaching against us calls their plan A.

Jenkins shoots 30% from 3. That is a 70% chance of failure. Soriano makes maybe 3 passes a season from where he made that pass. That play had an 80-85% chance of failing.

Jenkins would be open 100x out of 100 unless Marquette was coached by Shaka Dumb.
By your own admission, we had at worst a 30 percent chance of success on the last play. I suspect even you would agree that Jenkins is probably a better shooter than 30 percent when he’s wide open.

Regardless, four seconds left in the game, down by one, and forced to go the length of the floor, I’d be elated with a 30 percent chance of winning every time.

There is no way Marquette purposely left Jenkins wide open to shoot a game winning three pointer when we needed to go the length of the floor to win the game.

You can name ONE player so we should have called that play? That play has been replayed a million times because it is such a one off! So who exactly is the player we have with the dribbling speed of Tyus Edney?
Wait, do you think Pitino actually called that play?

Marquette literally didn’t guard Soriano to funnel the ball to him. He was just the safety valve. They closely guarded Dunlap (bottom of attached photo). They closely guarded Luis. They played way off Jenkins with a 7 footer.

Shaka made us do what he wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
By your own admission, we had at worst a 30 percent chance of success on the last play. I suspect even you would agree that Jenkins is probably a better shooter than 30 percent when he’s wide open.

Regardless, four seconds left in the game, down by one, and forced to go the length of the floor, I’d be elated with a 30 percent chance of winning every time.

There is no way Marquette purposely left Jenkins wide open to shoot a game winning three pointer when we needed to go the length of the floor to win the game.
Jenkins jogged down to that spot. He didn’t make a single move. They covered the absolute sh*t out of Dunlap and Luis. You think they just forgot to cover Jenkins out of 2 straight timeouts? 😂😂😂😂

Jenkins is a 30% shooter in ideal half court settings. Getting a pass from a 6’11 center from the opposite side of the court and shooting it over a 7 footer with 2.5 seconds left…where do you put those odds?! Every coach in the conference wants that in a 1 or game. Nobody wants Luis with the ball in that scenario.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpeg
    IMG_2286.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2284.png
    IMG_2284.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
Back