Marquette (MSG), Sat., Jan. 20, 12 Noon, FOX

On too many possessions we walk ball up court casually instead of being aggressive. We dont put pressure on their defense at all. Need to keep ball moving at all times with purpose and speed. Again probably lack of effort and/or focus.

I’d like to see him and Soriano in together. We’d have to go zone. Worth a few looks at least IMO. Maybe they just completely destroy the glass? Zuby has quick feet and can defend in space.
was saying same at game. Understand that we don’t have a backup for Soriano if both play — but using both in last 8-10 minutes is viable.

The 3 man referee system is far superior to the 2 man system. It's not even debatable.
Thanks, but I’ll make up my own mind; the 3 man system stinks, leads to the absolute inconsistency you seen not just game to game but very much within games. And it’s not even debatable.
The only thing worse is having replay reviews.

Wait, do you think Pitino actually called that play?

Marquette literally didn’t guard Soriano to funnel the ball to him. He was just the safety valve. They closely guarded Dunlap (bottom of attached photo). They closely guarded Luis. They played way off Jenkins with a 7 footer.

Shaka made us do what he wanted.
You’re changing the argument. Of course we didn’t call the play to have Soriano take the ball down the court. It was fortuitous that Jenkins got as good a look as he did. And nearly everybody but you would rather have Jenkins take that last three than Luis.

Luis certainly does some things better than Jenkins, but he is not a better outside shooter. It strains credulity to think that Marquette would purposely give Jenkins an open look while tightly guarding Luis.

Zuby would give us better interior defense and better interior scoring.
Zuby is foul prone and we have little front court depth. I fear playing them together would clog up the middle, allow us to get exploited on defense, and adversely affect our depth.

I wonder how Zuby and his handlers are taking things. As I recall, one of the reasons he came to SJU was bc Pitino told him he would play some 4. That clearly hasn’t happened. He does seem to be developing so hopefully he sees that.

When Pitino talks about about the future of the program, he seems to assume all the guys who have eligibility will come back. In the modern era, not sure you can count on that, particularly with a coach as demanding as Pitino.

I remember listening to the interview of Payton Siva recently. He said if he didn’t have to sit out a year, he probably would have transferred after his freshman year.

Why were we inbounding from under the basket on the final play? Looked like we were about a third of the way up the court when timeout was called.

We are a real quality Big East team with a core
of quality players.
Those bad luck endings really have
a way of evening out., so
better to have them in the first half of the season.

Our team has a good outlook for many reasons.
Hang in there Johnny fans , your encouragement
can be so meaningful !!!
Winning is EVERYTHING . I'm tired of hearing about bad luck or moral victories. Either this team has the backbone or they don't. It's time to win

Winning is EVERYTHING . I'm tired of hearing about bad luck or moral victories. Either this team has the backbone or they don't. It's time to win
Agreed. Before the game I said this game after losing 2 straight (which is already playing with fire) was a crossroads moment. We either take same old Johnnies route & lose at home to make it 3 straight & steaming towards bubble or we dust off, look great, get big W and look like the new & improved Johnnies. Needless to say we took the same old Johnnies route.

Let me just say I have 100% faith in Pitino. But I’m starting to really question if our talent is there to easily make main part of NCAAT. We may barely squeak into Dayton as our peak at this point. The one year we start 4-1 in BE & we immediately go to 4-4. You cannot lose 2 straight let alone 3 in this conf if you have aspirations for good seed in NCAAT. I’ll still settle for any NCAAT but this has been very disappointing. Tons of fans show, we get all the retro jersey hype, open shots in final moments & we just don’t do it. This is why we have lost an entire generation of fans sadly. This stuff over and over.

Of course it’s natural to focus on the Jenkins last minute shot . It could have won the game .

I wasn’t looking at the shot clock when he shot, did anyone see it ? And , how much time was left when he let it go ?

I ask because it’s all in the what if category but , could Jenkins have taken just a step more and drawn contact from Gold ? You know , brush up against him , get the shot off and fall down . Would the Refs have called it ? Don’t know . Seemingly he could have gotten Gold up in the Air anyway and take your chances ? Or , instead of shooting , take the 1 step as if going to the hoop . God’s natural instincts would be to grab or , bump .

Just saying .

Also , while Pitino said he thought the Ledlum 3 from the Corner with , I think , 38 seconds left , was a good look and good shot , I’m not so sure .
Ledlum was all alone in the corner . No Marquette player was anywhere near him . Could he have gotten closer to the hoop and draw a foul ? Or , stop and put up a 2 pointer ? Maybe get a put back ?

It’s something to think about , instead of the constant barrage at Jenkins .

And , it’s also easy to beat up Jenkins for the missed foul shot that would have tied the game . But , what were the odds that Kolek , a 92 percent free throw shooter would miss 3 of them in the last minutes of the game ?

It’s all factors that the statistics don’t tell .

A few random thoughts:

1. Luis is our most talented player. Too bad that he can't play more minutes
2. Soriano has been in a funk. Team has been playing better with Zuby. He should be getting more minutes until Soriano finds his mojo
3. Wilcher looked more poised at the point. Handled the ball well and made good decisions. No turnovers.
4. Dunlap played 33 minutes and had 2 points. Not enough production. He's a catch and shoot guy. Can't create his own shot

It was a game where we went to the line ten more times than our opponent and outscored them by 12 points from the line. Marquette also missed their last four free throws. One miss was by a 70% shooter and the other three were by a 94% free throw shooter. Based on those shooting percentages, the odds of those four consecutive misses happening was 6,667 to 1. It shouldn't or even couldn't have happened, yet it did and opened up the door for us to win.

Jenkins last shot was a clean look and, like a number of his attempts, he came up short. However, the game was really lost when we were severely outplayed from the 10:50 mark to the 6:20 mark. In that four and a half minute stretch we were outscored 15 to 2. During that stretch, Marquette went 6 for 8 from the floor and hit three 3 pointers while SJU went 0 for 6 from the floor and made just two free throws. Down 71 to 58 we finally amped up our defense and, helped greatly by the highly improbable Marquette missed free throws, ended the game on a 14 to 2 run.

It was a game of runs, but from being up 34 to 24 with 1:28 left in the first half to being down 71 to 58 with 6:20 left in the game we were outscored 47 to 24. You won't win many games when being outscored that badly for that long a stretch

Back