LIU, Tues, Nov. 29, 6:30p, FS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you want to see early season is improvement over time. We have seen that so far . We also seemingly rid ourselves of early game funks last 2 games. However, to judge our National rating on this one Iowa State game is not a viable method. We could have a cold or hot shooting day. We could have an injury.If we blow them out or lose by 1 is not a true indication of who we are. We have the best skilled players in 5 years. Best depth in 5 years. Need to put it together and as you all remember CMA teams peak late in season. So there could be a few hiccups along the way and then they have the talent to rip off 8 straight. We shall see but obviously we all feel better with a win on Sunday!
How do CMA's teams peak late in the season? In his 3 years here, the last month of the season each year we finished 3-4. Last season's weak finish was especially difficult to swallow since it precluded us from any post season play. Sorry, but the facts do not support your statement. Hopefully this season will be different.

Hence the phrase "to varying degrees". When Posh gets in the paint, 9 out of ten times he's going to shoot, whether it's a good shot or not. Rarely ever see him back it out. Usually an awful shot or a block, when playing decent competition.

How do CMA's teams peak late in the season? In his 3 years here, the last month of the season each year we finished 3-4. Last season's weak finish was especially difficult to swallow since it precluded us from any post season play. Sorry, but the facts do not support your statement. Hopefully this season will be different.
Have to agree Monte. While there has been some positives to the Anderson regime, The two biggest fallacies of his tenure are the 40 minutes of hell mantra and Anderson’s teams improve as the season goes on. That is clearly shown by the game results and simple observation.

Personally, I’m happy that this year Anderson has tweaked his defensive strategy and we have not seen the so called 40 minutes of hell which too often led to breakaway lay ups and wide open threes.

Storr is not earning minutes right now. For all his flaws, Wusu can handle, rebound and defend. He is the better option at present. High school rankings are and should be irrelevant.
Think played same mins
I would be fine with WUSU if he never attempts a shot specifically driving shots

Well I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

His first season, the team definitely did start to hit a stride at the end of the season. They ended the season 3-1 including a complete beatdown of top 10 Creighton. Then they were leading Creighton at the half and pandemic hit. So he gets kind of an "incomplete" for that.

His second season, it was not an end of the season flurry but we did hit a of a middle of the season stride, winning 7 of 8 from January to Feb. Then we fizzled out in that first BET game as I'm sure we all remember.

Last year, as you said, was the most frustrating one for us. As we never really did hit a stride. It was one step forward, two steps back pretty much all year. Although we did finish 2-2 in games in March with a tough loss to Nova where we did play well. But no moral victories from me for that one.

But Mike A's first two seasons there was clear improvement to me in the midst of conference play, which was encouraging to me.

Speaking of the last few games.. the in-bounds plays with Curbelo passing have been great. He pushes the limits with these plays, but he gets us points at the the hoop. I'll take some turnovers from these plays as long as we get our fair share of easy points.

Can't stand these puff games. I get it about playing local schools but this is to much and doesn't help a bit. Can only hurt us.
Everybody plays cupcakes - we should play at least 7-8 mid-majors each year, which is what we have on the OOC schedule this year. The problem with our schedule this year is that two of the so-called high majors we play (Syracuse and FSU) stink so far this year, and Temple is down also. If those teams were good, our OOC schedule would look a lot better.

My problem is which cupcakes we play - why are we playing Southern New Hampshire, Merrimack, Lafayette, CCSU, New Hampshire? We should replace those five with some combination of local schools like St. Francis, Fordham, Hofstra, Columbia, Iona, Marist, Stony Brook etc. I am glad we have LIU and Niagara on the schedule. We should play the local mid-majors instead of importing these lousy teams.

Wouldn’t argue with you re that point. But that is the history CMA wants portrayed. Also, we have never had this level of talent in the CMA era, so maybe it happens with better talent,we shall see.

Um… Never had a losing record thing
Sure plays into OOC schedule

I get it, it's tiresome but . . .

He's only had 6 losing conference records, and two .500 records, in 20 years as a head coach as well, though last year's was the most disappointing one of his career. To me at least.

Another bit of statistical trivia, if you take away Lavin St Johns hadn't had a winning or even .500 conference record since before CMA was a head coach at UAB.

Last edited:
Um… Never had a losing record thing
Sure plays into OOC schedule

CMA's conference records at previous schools...

Conference USA - 42-20 (68% wins)
SEC - 78-64 (55% wins)
Big 12 - 43-37 (54% wins)

If you don't like CMA as a coach, you can just say that. But, to try to act like all his wins just come from beating up on cup cakes in non-conference is being disingenuous. This year's schedule has some weak teams for sure. But, most teams play cupcakes in the non-conference, that's just the way it is. Arkansas is a top 10 team this year and has 8 games against low/mid majors on their schedule. So, 8 out 13 of their non-conference games would be considered "cupcakes." And they are showcasing arguably the best freshman class in the nation.

My only complaint with the Johnnies schedule is, there are too many teams in the 300's being scheduled. They need to do like some other teams and manipulate the cupcakes they play for NET purposes. Instead of playing teams in the 300's play teams in the 200's. The difference in skill level is minimal, but it helps the NET more. For example, you exchange LIU with Northeastern, both are bad teams at 1-5 teams, however Northeastern kenpom is in the upper 200's rather than upper 300's like LIU, that's probably the difference of a point on Kenpom.

I get it, it's tiresome but . . .

He's only had 6 losing conference records, and two .500 records, in 20 years as a head coach as well, though last year's was the most disappointing one of his career. To me at least.

Another bit of statistical trivia, if you take away Lavin St Johns hadn't had a winning or even .500 conference record since before CMA was a head coach at UAB.
Not saying he padded it at UAB, Missouri or Arkansas but considering is 23-33 in BE absolutely had to do it here to keep that streak going.
Again don’t dislike Anderson but thought did a real bad job last year like you mentioned. Took too long to figure out his rotation and that Wheeler was one of his best 3 players. Talent wise last year team should have been tourney team.
Regardless, he needs to make tournament this year in order to match such legendary ST John’s coaches, Mahoney, Fraschilla, Jarvis, Lavin and Mullin. I know that is a lot to live up to but…..,

CMA's conference records at previous schools...

Conference USA - 42-20 (68% wins)
SEC - 78-64 (55% wins)
Big 12 - 43-37 (54% wins)

If you don't like CMA as a coach, you can just say that. But, to try to act like all his wins just come from beating up on cup cakes in non-conference is being disingenuous. This year's schedule has some weak teams for sure. But, most teams play cupcakes in the non-conference, that's just the way it is. Arkansas is a top 10 team this year and has 8 games against low/mid majors on their schedule. So, 8 out 13 of their non-conference games would be considered "cupcakes." And they are showcasing arguably the best freshman class in the nation.

My only complaint with the Johnnies schedule is, there are too many teams in the 300's being scheduled. They need to do like some other teams and manipulate the cupcakes they play for NET purposes. Instead of playing teams in the 300's play teams in the 200's. The difference in skill level is minimal, but it helps the NET more. For example, you exchange LIU with Northeastern, both are bad teams at 1-5 teams, however Northeastern kenpom is in the upper 200's rather than upper 300's like LIU, that's probably the difference of a point on Kenpom.
Per Kenpom, 266th Northeastern is about 7 points better than 350th LIU on a neutral

Well I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

His first season, the team definitely did start to hit a stride at the end of the season. They ended the season 3-1 including a complete beatdown of top 10 Creighton. Then they were leading Creighton at the half and pandemic hit. So he gets kind of an "incomplete" for that.

His second season, it was not an end of the season flurry but we did hit a of a middle of the season stride, winning 7 of 8 from January to Feb. Then we fizzled out in that first BET game as I'm sure we all remember.

Last year, as you said, was the most frustrating one for us. As we never really did hit a stride. It was one step forward, two steps back pretty much all year. Although we did finish 2-2 in games in March with a tough loss to Nova where we did play well. But no moral victories from me for that one.

But Mike A's first two seasons there was clear improvement to me in the midst of conference play, which was encouraging to me.
I look at it as we've had two NIT teams under CMA in three years...year 2 we were offered but declined...year 3 we offered to host a game and were not invited based on previous year snub.
Mullin had one NCAA
Lavin two NCAAs and two NITs
Norm CBI?

Per Kenpom, 266th Northeastern is about 7 points better than 350th LIU on a neutral
Exactly, those are better games for Johnnies to take. Because again, the skill difference is marginal for the Johnnies, there's no difference for them beating a team by 20 or 27, both are easy games for them, but playing Northeastern would be better for their NET.

The most ideal situation for any good high major team is to avoid as many 300+ NET teams in the non-conference as possible, those games no matter how much you win by don't help your NET at all, even if you win by 50 points, your NET is likely to still drop just by playing them, that's what we were having a conversation about in another thread.

And with that said, I do get it, it's easier said than done to avoid teams like that, a lot of guess work, and some teams you prefer over others may not be available, so you just have to schedule what you can get sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back