LIU, Tues, Nov. 29, 6:30p, FS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at it as we've had two NIT teams under CMA in three years...year 2 we were offered but declined...year 3 we offered to host a game and were not invited based on previous year snub.
Mullin had one NCAA
Lavin two NCAAs and two NITs
Norm CBI?
We Are ST John’s coach meter:
+1 winning record
-1 losing record
+5 BET win
+5 BET Champ
-10 no BET
+5 NCAA
+5 NCAA win
-10 no NCAA
+5 BE coach of year
+10 best player in program history
-10 getting team on probation
-10 being Norm Roberts

Brian Mahoney minus 6
Fran Frachilla even
Mike Jarvis plus 47
Norm Roberts minus 59
Steve Lavin minus 12
Chris Mullin minus 2
Mike Anderson minus 12

-10 being Norm Roberts :D😄
The best Johnnies team in the last 20 years was built by Norm Roberts. Too bad it took another coach to win with those players. Regardless he was pretty good at recruiting that’s why he’s at KU now.

The best Johnnies team in the last 20 years was built by Norm Roberts. Too bad it took another coach to win with those players. Regardless he was pretty good at recruiting that’s why he’s at KU now.
I doubt he gets that job without the longtime friendship with Self, though. Plus in addition to Kansas selling itself, Self is a great recruiter. Norm landed in the best possible spot, but I'm not sure he's effective most other places.

I doubt he gets that job without the longtime friendship with Self, though. Plus in addition to Kansas selling itself, Self is a great recruiter. Norm landed in the best possible spot, but I'm not sure he's effective most other places.

Bill Self seems like a guy who likes to win I doubt he gives Norm that position just based off friendship. It’s Kansas they could probably pluck any assistant coach they wanted besides a few at top programs already. I can agree he was a bad HC though that’s fair, I just wouldn’t -10 him like that lol, he could at least recruit. That’s still my favorite SJ team since I’ve been a fan, still remember that game against Pitt.

This years team has that type of potential and they’ve looked promising so far. I’m loving the swagger and hustle they are playing with. Confidence is a big part of basketball and these guys don’t lack any at all. Older guys are leading and the younger ones are finding their way that’s how it should be. Everyone is healthy for the Iowa State game let’s see what happens it’ll be a tough game that’s not an easy place to leave with a W for sure.

Bill Self seems like a guy who likes to win I doubt he gives Norm that position just based off friendship. It’s Kansas they could probably pluck any assistant coach they wanted besides a few at top programs already. I can agree he was a bad HC though that’s fair, I just wouldn’t -10 him like that lol, he could at least recruit. That’s still my favorite SJ team since I’ve been a fan, still remember that game against Pitt.

This years team has that type of potential and they’ve looked promising so far. I’m loving the swagger and hustle they are playing with. Confidence is a big part of basketball and these guys don’t lack any at all. Older guys are leading and the younger ones are finding their way that’s how it should be. Everyone is healthy for the Iowa State game let’s see what happens it’ll be a tough game that’s not an easy place to leave with a W for sure.
he definitely gave him a job due to their friendship. remember norm was an assistant for self when he was head coach at Illinois

That seems to be the M.O. around here...
97-98...Mahoney built a good part of team, Fran coached to NCAAs
98-00...Fran built that team, Jarvis coached to NCAAs
10-11...Norm built the team, Lavin took to NCAAs

If I was CMA, I wouldn't want to know about this trend, hahaha.

Any ranking system that leaves Jarvis at top cant be right. Dude was handed keys to an elite eight team and ground our program into dust. why do you think we had to hire Norm (who buried us further) - we effectively suspended our program for 5 years just to get clean and the stench of jarvis era off the books. You look at the list its not hard to say Anderson is at least most professional coach we've had since Louie - maybe not amazing - but at least knows how to actually run a program in an enduring manner (like even just the basics of having balanced class sizes).

Any ranking system that leaves Jarvis at top cant be right. Dude was handed keys to an elite eight team and ground our program into dust. why do you think we had to hire Norm (who buried us further) - we effectively suspended our program for 5 years just to get clean and the stench of jarvis era off the books. You look at the list its not hard to say Anderson is at least most professional coach we've had since Louie - maybe not amazing - but at least knows how to actually run a program in an enduring manner (like even just the basics of having balanced class sizes).
Elite 8 team was best team we have had in my lifetime
Was a kid in 85 but Elite 8 team was way more fun to watch
Jarvis undisputed number 2 to Lou
Handed keys to team that lost in first round to 10 seed and lost its 2 best players
Revisionist history

Last edited:
Elite 8 team was best team we have had in my lifetime
Was a kid in 85 but Elite 8 team was way more fun to watch
Jarvis undisputed number 2 to Lou
Handed keys to team that lost in first round to 10 seed and lost its 2 best players
Revisionist history
feels like Jarvis should get docked some more points for having a bunch of his wins vacated haha

Fran built the Elite Eight team that Jarvis coached. As Fran's, and Mahoney's, kids moved on, Jarvis did not fill the talent pool. He lucked out that Marcus Man-Hatten covered his @ss, but just watch the ESPN documentary on the 2002[?] Red Storm. When the Administration saw that, there was no way he was getting an extention.

Think of Jarvis as Jamie Lannister. Did some bad things…Threw kid from tower, killed his cousin, banged his sister. But also did great things…Fought white walkers, saved his brother, mercy banged an unattractive girl.

Norm was Joffrey, no redeeming qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back