LIU, Tues, Nov. 29, 6:30p, FS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Posh hit his first 3s of the year
- Good to see Pinzon stroke a couple jumpers (that will come in handy off the bench)
- Nywie getting back into the flow a bit

Some positive take-aways. Didn't see what I wanted to from Storr tonight...but he will continue to garner minutes and come along.

Never thought sitting at 8-0 would feel so... fraudulent....

Our 8 opponents have a cumulative record of 16-39. One of our 8 opponents currently has a winning record... Nebraska. I did not take all the critics of our schedule to heart prior to the season.... but my God... this schedule has been ugly.

This Iowa St game is HUGE for us. Hopefully the players and coaches go into this game knowing what's at stake and execute. Yes we have an entire BE slate ahead of us... but this is the only OOC game that matters.

NY POST
Loved hearing about Posh, But the part about Nyiwe speaks volumes about the atmosphere around our team with Mike Anderson as coach. This and Joel's reaching out to Nyiwe after the Syracuse game. The Culture is Real.

Now let's get this win against Iowa State.

Some good signs yesterday no doubt. Having said that, game was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage, so I'm taking very little from it. Would have at least hoped that the OOC schedule would have gotten progressively more difficult, both in terms of prepping the kids for conference play, and for resume building. Sunday will be, by far, the best indicator to date of what to expect from the team this season.

yea LIU was every bit as bad as people were saying they are. Thats all I really have to say about this game.

Also it was nice to have Posh drain a couple 3s. Not being able to hit 3s as a team is I think the one thing that could keep us out of the dance this year. We have strong defense, good interior presence with Soriano/Stanley, shifty guards who can penetrate and dish, a formidable pressure defense... but the lack of 3pt shooting scares me especially with the way basketball has been trending the last decade or so. Teams have kids who can light it up from range. We do not.

It sucks we don't have that one sharpshooter type guy. Even someone like Max Hooper could have been useful on this team cause we could probably hide him on defense

The crazy thing is we do not even need to be GREAT from 3. If we could just knock down a couple every half it will probably be enough.

Well see what happens when the competition gets better but I see a bunch of things I don't like. Posh, AC and Jones are all ball hogs, to a varying degree, especially Jones, who had an easy pass to Stanley on a 2 on 1 but choose to challenge the defender instead. They have that mindset, "I haven't had a shot in a couple possessions, I'm due one now". Anybody catch Posh bitching at Nyiwe for not giving him room in the corner?

What you want to see early season is improvement over time. We have seen that so far . We also seemingly rid ourselves of early game funks last 2 games. However, to judge our National rating on this one Iowa State game is not a viable method. We could have a cold or hot shooting day. We could have an injury.If we blow them out or lose by 1 is not a true indication of who we are. We have the best skilled players in 5 years. Best depth in 5 years. Need to put it together and as you all remember CMA teams peak late in season. So there could be a few hiccups along the way and then they have the talent to rip off 8 straight. We shall see but obviously we all feel better with a win on Sunday!

I know there are some people worrying about Storr's minutes, and I'm not sure why. He seems to be playing the minutes he deserves, and my guess is he will play more as his defense improves. I made it a point to watch his defense when he was on the floor yesterday, and his on-ball defense wasn't good. He gave up mulitple blow-bys, which required help from the bigs behind him. Fortunately the help came, but of course that means additional rotations etc. He needs to improve his defense, so that he can get more minutes. Pretty simple.

Well see what happens when the competition gets better but I see a bunch of things I don't like. Posh, AC and Jones are all ball hogs, to a varying degree, especially Jones, who had an easy pass to Stanley on a 2 on 1 but choose to challenge the defender instead. They have that mindset, "I haven't had a shot in a couple possessions, I'm due one now". Anybody catch Posh bitching at Nyiwe for not giving him room in the corner?

Our three ball hogs had 16 assists between them last night.

I know there are some people worrying about Storr's minutes, and I'm not sure why. He seems to be playing the minutes he deserves, and my guess is he will play more as his defense improves. I made it a point to watch his defense when he was on the floor yesterday, and his on-ball defense wasn't good. He gave up mulitple blow-bys, which required help from the bigs behind him. Fortunately the help came, but of course that means additional rotations etc. He needs to improve his defense, so that he can get more minutes. Pretty simple.
I doubt CMA recruited Storr for his HS Defense. Maybe that is why he was 4 star and not 5 star ? CMA needs to worry more about Players ability to score than running ragged on Defense . Let Posh and Curbelo do that and let Storr score .

Posh was right. Leadership demands accountability. Nyiwe came out there and brought his man with him almost allowing Posh to get trapped in the corner and could possibly have caused a turnover. Just Posh coaching Nyiwe up on the floor.

I'm sure Nyiwe didn't take it personally and if he did he got over it when Posh delivered him a dime on the highlight reel alley-oop slam on the fast break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back