Knicks

Would have never guessed they would trade one of those 4 guys. But if I had to he honest, Dante was the most expendable of the group IMO.

I’d rather KAT than Randle for a few reasons, he’s bigger, better shooter, better shot blocker, takes less shots..but this is far from a steal. Not that anyone’s saying that.

Kat last 5 years:
24, 10, 4, 1 blk

Randle was 23,10, 5 his 5 seasons with us and DD isn’t a throw away piece. Plus a first round pick.

Here’s the two over last 3 seasons.

My concerns are more about losing DDV (hurting our depth), and not trusting KAT in a big moment or playoffs (nor did I trust Randle). I think they have enough different strengths/weaknesses that most of it cancel out. I think our ceiling was raised and I also think we can win as much as 60 games. I’m just not convinced that once we’re playing Boston, Pacers, 76ers, Bucks, etc. that he’ll come through.

His contract is also insane. We’re basically a top heavy team that’s really all-in on the Brunson/Bridges/OG/KAT core.

That said, definitely most exciting time to be a Knicks fan in 20+ years

I’d rather KAT than Randle for a few reasons, he’s bigger, better shooter, better shot blocker, takes less shots..but this is far from a steal. Not that anyone’s saying that.

Kat last 5 years:
24, 10, 4, 1 blk

Randle was 23,10, 5 his 5 seasons with us and DD isn’t a throw away piece. Plus a first round pick.
It’s about need at a position. Loss of Hartenstein and Robinson always injured needed a center. Precious and Sims weren’t going to cut it.

It’s about need at a position. Loss of Hartenstein and Robinson always injured needed a center. Precious and Sims weren’t going to cut it.
Sure, Randle for Kat is a great swap. But we also lose depth and KAT is not the epitome of durability. Missed 20 games last year and 50+ the year before

Sure, Randle for Kat is a great swap. But we also lose depth and KAT is not the epitome of durability. Missed 20 games last year and 50+ the year before
If the trade was Randle and a #1 for KAT I would have loved it. But given the year Donte had, I think they overpaid and this makes our bench thin rather than a strength. We need to hope that both Anunoby & Towns stay healthy all year, something that neither have done a good part of their careers. Really don't want to see Hart having to play 45 minutes a game all year.
Want to trust Rose on this as he's made all the right moves so far, but my feelings on the trade are mixed. Hoping that coming home to NY/NJ area gives KAT some extra motivation, pretty sure he grew up as a Knicks fan.

Last edited:
Got to keep McBride who it seemed like other teams wanted and fact he can play back up point is important. Maybe Dante somehow returns in the future.

Got to keep McBride who it seemed like other teams wanted and fact he can play back up point is important. Maybe Dante somehow returns in the future.
Looking at our roster, I'd forgotten about the offseason pickups of Cam Payne & Landry Shamet. Both of those guys played with Bridges for a couple of years in Phoenix (2021 and 2022) and had solid years playing 20-22 mpg. They can both shoot the three (Payne 37% and Shamet 38%) and can be helpful bench pieces with Donte gone.

Looking at our roster, I'd forgotten about the offseason pickups of Cam Payne & Landry Shamet. Both of those guys played with Bridges for a couple of years in Phoenix (2021 and 2022) and had solid years playing 20-22 mpg. They can both shoot the three (Payne 37% and Shamet 38%) and can be helpful bench pieces with Donte gone.
We also picked up Marcus Morris, who will also be helpful in spurts. He had 25 points for the Cavs in a playoff game this year. (Not saying we should be counting on him, but he's better than whoever our fourth string forward was). Also do think Kolek may be interesting as well.

I've talked myself into it. We have a really strong playoff rotation now. Key will be health and how will KAT react in the playoffs

We also picked up Marcus Morris, who will also be helpful in spurts. He had 25 points for the Cavs in a playoff game this year. (Not saying we should be counting on him, but he's better than whoever our fourth string forward was). Also do think Kolek may be interesting as well.

I've talked myself into it. We have a really strong playoff rotation now. Key will be health and how will KAT react in the playoffs
Apparently we need to move at least one more player to make salaries work, remains to be seen if that might be Payne or Shamet.

Apparently we need to move at least one more player to make salaries work, remains to be seen if that might be Payne or Shamet.
Knicks are going to move Keita Bates-Diop (who they got in Brooklyn trade), and will then do the same cap maneuvering thing they did in the Bridges trade: signing-and-trading guys they have bird rights to for higher than the minimum, like Daquan Jeffries. So none of our rotation guys will be touched.

Amazing to think how smart this FO is compared to years past.

Back