Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

NCJohnnie post=451746 said:
Beast of the East wrote:

IMO, no one, not even Ray Allen or Steph Curry, should be taking almost 80% of his shots from three.    Going to guess that perhaps he doesn't have the mobility or quickness to take someone off the dribble closer to the basket.   At lower levels of college basketball, you get much more time to square up and shoot from three - a big reason Max Hooper had success at earlier stops, but not at SJU.

Beast, I think we saw enough of him at SJU to know that is likely the case. Nevertheless, I am happy for his success at Akron. He was a good kid who was often asked to guard players much bigger than him due to personnel shortcomings here and did a decent job at doing so. 

I'm happy for him too, and didn't mean to imply that I'm not.   The funny thing is that speaking with staff when he was here, they said he is a surprisingly very good athlete with hops, strength, and quickness even with the extra weight.   I think he did drop a lot of weight one off season, but didn't translate into more success on the court.

My recollection was Trimble came here with the reputation as a
Shooter.  But as was noted, he was
forced to cover guys much bigger than he, and was never really able to show that part of his game.  

NCJohnnie post=452433 said:
Good game for my old buddy Vince Cole - 23 points (5-7 from three), 6 rebounds & 4 blocks in OT win.

[URL]https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId[/URL]=401367465]Coastal Carolina vs. Georgia State - Game Recap - January 22, 2022 - ESPN[/url]

Duke also with 23 pts, 6 rebounds for San Diego.

I may be in the minority but I was sad to see Cole go as there is often a year of transition from jc to high level Division 1 Bball. Cole or Mathis not even a debate in my mind as Cole clearly comes out on top. 
i won’t even discuss the Duke as I have said 100 times his departure left a glaring on many a front. 

redmannorth post=452442 said:
NCJohnnie post=452433 said:
Good game for my old buddy Vince Cole - 23 points (5-7 from three), 6 rebounds & 4 blocks in OT win.

[URL]https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId[/URL]=401367465]Coastal Carolina vs. Georgia State - Game Recap - January 22, 2022 - ESPN[/url]

Duke also with 23 pts, 6 rebounds for San Diego.

I may be in the minority but I was sad to see Cole go as there is often a year of transition from jc to high level Division 1 Bball. Cole or Mathis not even a debate in my mind as Cole clearly comes out on top. 
i won’t even discuss the Duke as I have said 100 times his departure left a glaring on many a front. 
Unlike football player Sean Evans, who never refined his game while at SJU, Earlington continually improved.    I did always feel we were watching a football player play basketball and also that he was at his ceiling, which was plenty good enough to be a valuable role player at St. John's.   Cole is playing at the right level for him now.  His numbers are all up at CC, but I would also say that his shooting % isn't vastly different than here.   The knock on him was defense while here, correct?

Justin Simon @simon_Says_so was incredible again in the opening night of @BasketballCL Top 16 leading @MHP_RIESEN to an impressive win against @jdadijonbasket with 95-73!

22 POINTS
12 REBOUNDS
3 ASSISTS
3 STEALS
7/14 FGs

L J S A post=455077 said:
Earlington had 12 points vs. Gonzaga. Without him, San Diego would have lost by 42.
Rough night for SD.  They are out of their league vs Gonzaga.  But still having a nice season being that I didnt even know they had a basketball team.

It's interesting to look at how some of these kids are doing this year. They all took a step down in competition, and it's been mixed results, to say the least. (This is not to try and prove we shouldn't have tried to retain any of them):

Rysheem Dunn (Robert Morris) - quit the team
Isaih Moore (Southern Miss) - 11.1 pts, 6.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists this year, 9.2 pts, 4.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists last year
Vince Cole (Coastal Carolina) - 15 pts, 3.3 rebounds, 1 assist this year, 8.7 pts, 2 rebounds, 1.1 assists last year
Greg Williams (Louisiana) - 6.6 pts, 2 rebounds, 2 assists (also shooting 29% from 3) this year, 9.5 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists last year (44% from 3)
Marcellus Earlington (San Diego) - 13.4 pts, 6.6 rebounds, 1.1 assists (34% from 3) this year, 6.8 pts, 4.1 rebounds, 0.7 assists last year (40% from 3)
David Caraher (High Point) - quit the team
Josh Roberts (Manhattan) - 7.9 pts, 5.4 rebounds, 0.2 assists this year, 2.6 pts, 2.7 rebounds, 0.4 assists last year
John McGriff (Binghamton) - 10.6 pts, 3.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists this year, 0.7 pts, 0.6 rebounds, 0.6 assists last year

Amazing stat for our old friend Josh Roberts - had 20 points today on 10-10 shooting and 7 rebounds. 

NCJohnnie post=457631 said:
Amazing stat for our old friend Josh Roberts - had 20 points today on 10-10 shooting and 7 rebounds. 
Josh’s playing time went down last season as the season progressed and he could not have felt too good. Right now he is playing by far the best ball of his career. I am delighted for him as he is a real good kid. Thrilled he is ending his career on such a high note. 

Not very classy, but predictable 

[attachment=2453]CF51E824-A9DF-4F02-BB6B-451983723A52.jpeg[/attachment]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back