Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

Hesitate to post this given the mood of our fanbase, but Earlington with 22 points and 11 rebounds in San Diego's win last night. Currently shooting 45% from three. 

There should not be doubt in anyones mind that Earlington was a significant loss to this team .  None of the incoming have given us what he did last season . 

SLYFOXX1968 post=447672 said:
There should not be doubt in anyones mind that Earlington was a significant loss to this team .  None of the incoming have given us what he did last season . 
Or for that matter two years ago sly fox when he was a great spark plug off the bench and shocked us all. Will anyone ever forget that second half against Georgetown I believe, he was on fire ?, he was unstoppable, just unconscious in his shooting. As much as we thought Smith or Coburn or both could be that guy they are no where close to what Earlington provided. 

NCJohnnie post=447671 said:
Hesitate to post this given the mood of our fanbase, but Earlington with 22 points and 11 rebounds in San Diego's win last night. Currently shooting 45% from three. 
Thank you for posting NCJohnnie and no surprise. Earlington worked like a Trojan while at SJU and did everything he could to improve his game, especially during the off season. He improved every season so it is not shocking that he is putting up such productive numbers in a lesser conference. Gréât kid and I was very sad to see him go. 

NCJohnnie post=447671 said:
Nice news about good kids always appreciated.

The only player who left that I miss and believe he would have henped a great deal this year. Liked him from his freshman year when he showed potential in the limited time he got on the court.

jackfro post=447706 said:
The only player who left that I miss and believe he would have henped a great deal this year. Liked him from his freshman year when he showed potential in the limited time he got on the court.

He fell in love with the three a little too much for my liking but greatly improved his game while here.

May be true but he made an awful lot of them when they counted ,e.g. the last Georgetown game. Also he was a pretty good rebounder. Take him over Wheeler any day of the and twice on Sundays.

Jackfro wrote:

May be true but he made an awful lot of them when they counted ,e.g. the last Georgetown game. Also he was a pretty good rebounder. Take him over Wheeler any day of the and twice on Sundays.

Kind of ironic because as I recall part of the reason he didn't get more minutes last year was CMA wanted him to stay closer to the basket and rebound more and shoot less threes. 

None of the new kids have given us what Moore, Dunn and GWill gave us either. 

Monte post=447726 said:
None of the new kids have given us what Moore, Dunn and GWill gave us either. 

Yet. Maybe.

Agree with jack fro, Earlington biggest loss to me. He had energy that we seem to be sorely lacking this season. A presence and we need presence and could run the floor better than the guys we got in here.

Dunn is missed too, because he was a good alternative from having Posh do everything.

Moore too much of a loose canon for my taste.

Like G Will but he was always hurt, great kid and good locker room guy.

Last edited:
The 2 who have been most missed and not replicated are Earlington and Moore.

I don't get the continued infatuation with GW as a PLAYER (as opposed to as a person).  Williams NEVER lived up to expectations, mainly maybe due to injuries, but not exclusively.  Mathis has replaced what GW did production wise.  The disappointments so far are with Soriano and Wheeler.  I think that by the end of season, they'll be better.  The depth guards of Smith and Coburn (more the former) will also prove to be better as the season goes on.  But, we'll see. 

Last edited:
Josh found right level. good for him

[attachment=2342]5D76FD52-E1F5-4C75-B98C-6D3594E623A8.jpeg[/attachment]

Paultzman post=447872 said:
Josh found right level. good for him

[attachment=2342]5D76FD52-E1F5-4C75-B98C-6D3594E623A8.jpeg[/attachment]
This isn't surprising.  While here Josh often feasted on the worst of our OOC opponents, so much so that both Mullin and Anderson gave him major minutes early in the BE season until it was clear he wasn't that level of player.

And yes, like all of our kids, good for him.

Last edited:
Watched most of the San Diego at UNLV game last night to see Marcellus Earlington. He went 4-13 for 14 points and two rebounds. These were two barely average teams, well below Big East level play. UNLV mostly plays a line-up with only one post player, so ME getting only two rebs in 23 minutes was surprising. His overall play was not particularly impressive,
Official attendance was listed as 4,300, but I doubt there were 2,ooo actually present. The arena was built in the early 80's and has a capacity of 18,000. This program is on life support right now. Maybe new coach, Kruger, Jr. can make a difference, but at this time, they are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Noticed Greg Williams didn't play in Ragin Cajuns win over App. State last night. Assume Covid protocol issue.

The loss of last year’s players . Earlington , GWill, Dunn, Roberts , McGriff, Cole , Moore was more the cumulative effect than just their individual contribution . They had played together, GW, Earlington , Dunn, Roberts for 2 years under CMA and had defined roles .  Moore contribute a lot on the Court but , there were other issues . Cole had a few excellent shooting games that gave us wins . McGriff was a spark plug in his limited minutes . The point being their loss was and is a setback .  And , such a mass exodus raises questions .  Our Anti Mullin contingent would have been beserk if that happened under Chris .     And , Figgy also departed the year prior . Figgy clearly wasn’t comfortable in his role with CMA . It happens .          We will see if the BE season will show a better team than what we saw in the OOC schedule .      

Back