Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

I went to the link, my big takeaway was I did not know Tubby Smith was the head coach of High Point, wow? I guess they are D 1 but low D1, right?

Not knowing the facts about Caraher and High Point , I’m speculating he decided or his Coach decided that he  get started on his Next Career or further Education .    He and GWill, we’re good kids and took the initiative to start a Program at St John’s to benefit less fortunate kids .  

SLYFOXX1968 post=448997 said:
Not knowing the facts about Caraher and High Point , I’m speculating he decided or his Coach decided that he  get started on his Next Career or further Education .    He and GWill, we’re good kids and took the initiative to start a Program at St John’s to benefit less fortunate kids .  
Still interesting that as a freshman at Houston Baptist, albeit in a weak Southland conference, he averaged 16+ ppg, 7+ rebounds and 36% from 3pt in 31 min/game. Named conference Freshman of year.

I'm sure he enjoyed time in NY/Big East etc. to see how he stacked up against majors, but wonder if he regrets not getting more time for the past few years as a result of the move away from first school.

Last edited:
Knight post=449582 said:
Paultzman post=449575 said:
Greg did not start last night but played 27 minutes, stats to date

[URL]https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397123/greg-williams-jr[/URL]

By the numbers, it looks like he’s regressed a bit. But it’s early.
Unless he has been injured or sick, he is actually playing less minutes than he did for a Big East team at SJU.   Sometimes a bigger opportunity exposes players as not being the stars they think they are.

Beast of the East post=449584 said:
Knight post=449582 said:

[URL]https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397123/greg-williams-jr[/URL]

Unless he has been injured or sick, he is actually playing less minutes than he did for a Big East team at SJU.   Sometimes a bigger opportunity exposes players as not being the stars they think they are.

exactly.    

Beast of the East post=449584 said:
Knight post=449582 said:

I hadn't read this post when I made the same point about Dunn in the other thread.

Two former Johnnies on TV tonight:

Manhattan (Josh Roberts) vs. Iona at 7 on ESPNU
Kent State vs. Akron (Trimble) on CBSSN at 8

Have to give Josh credit for improving his foul shooting by leaps & bounds - 80% on 16 for 20. Maybe CMA should have him come tutor our guys... 

bamafan post=450639 said:
Heard he nicked himself shaving and his father wants him to quit the team.

His withdrawal after a minor knee injury was symptomatic of the Lavin and Mullin years - very thin benches along with no height.

Referencing GWill and Dunn, we all 
need to realize they had defined roles and playing time here .  They had played 2 years under CMA and learned whatever system it is .   Their contributions were, along with Roberts , Earlington , McGriff and even Moore and Cole were fully implemented .  And , with few exceptions that Group along with Champ , Posh , Wusu finished 4 th in BE with a 10-9 record . Which we might have difficulty reaching this season .  Point being , whatever they are doing elsewhere is irrelevant to what they did and might have contributed this year. Had they returned.           Lastly , I think we can accurately assess that the incoming group is not of the caliber of the outgoing group ,   And , I think would have had a better record besides . 

In Akron win over Bowling Green Bryan Trimble scored 33 points and was 10/13 on threes, good for him. 

Paultzman wrote:

In Akron win over Bowling Green Bryan Trimble scored 33 points and was 10/13 on threes, good for him. 

Happy to see Trimble find a good level of competition for him. Same player he was for us, but getting to play 28 mpg - of his 155 shots, 120 from three. He is shooting a very respectable 38% from three and averaging 12 ppg.

NCJohnnie post=451737 said:
Paultzman wrote:

Happy to see Trimble find a good level of competition for him. Same player he was for us, but getting to play 28 mpg - of his 155 shots, 120 from three. He is shooting a very respectable 38% from three and averaging 12 ppg.

IMO, no one, not even Ray Allen or Steph Curry, should be taking almost 80% of his shots from three.    Going to guess that perhaps he doesn't have the mobility or quickness to take someone off the dribble closer to the basket.   At lower levels of college basketball, you get much more time to square up and shoot from three - a big reason Max Hooper had success at earlier stops, but not at SJU.

Beast of the East wrote:

IMO, no one, not even Ray Allen or Steph Curry, should be taking almost 80% of his shots from three.    Going to guess that perhaps he doesn't have the mobility or quickness to take someone off the dribble closer to the basket.   At lower levels of college basketball, you get much more time to square up and shoot from three - a big reason Max Hooper had success at earlier stops, but not at SJU.

Beast, I think we saw enough of him at SJU to know that is likely the case. Nevertheless, I am happy for his success at Akron. He was a good kid who was often asked to guard players much bigger than him due to personnel shortcomings here and did a decent job at doing so. 

Back