Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

The Glove was rock-solid. Hard-nosed blue collar guy. That team with he and Hatten (and a bunch of misfit toys) that got to the Dance was one of my favorites. Probably Jarvis' best coaching job for the Johnnies.
Think he was the last recruit of Fran F, although he actually signed after Fran was fired.

Think he was the last recruit of Fran F, although he actually signed after Fran was fired.

He actually verballed in between coaches, Fran and Jarvis.

This article is hilarious in a way because it offers a St. John's bingo card of possible coaches: Matt Doherty, Tom Penders, Pat Kennedy and Paul Hewitt.

He actually verballed in between coaches, Fran and Jarvis.

This article is hilarious in a way because it offers a St. John's bingo card of possible coaches: Matt Doherty, Tom Penders, Pat Kennedy and Paul Hewitt.

This was the most hilarious part:
''Matt's fantastic,'' Williams said yesterday from his office at Kansas. ''He's going to be a very good head coach. When the right job opens up and has his name on it he's going to be outstanding. He's got the ability.''

This was the most hilarious part:
''Matt's fantastic,'' Williams said yesterday from his office at Kansas. ''He's going to be a very good head coach. When the right job opens up and has his name on it he's going to be outstanding. He's got the ability.''
I think I might still take him if the other options are Penders, Kennedy, or Hewitt. But Doh just couldn't figure out how not to be an A-hole to the wrong people.

Penders would have landed some St. Ray's kids though.

I think I might still take him if the other options are Penders, Kennedy, or Hewitt. But Doh just couldn't figure out how not to be an A-hole to the wrong people.

Penders had no shot. A lot of bad blood when he was at Fordham with Coach C. and then while at Texas claimed one of his players who had just been declared ineligible by the NCAA prior to the NCAA tournament had been offered a cash inducement by someone connected to to St. John’s while at a Juco. When Jack Kaiser went to inquire about the allegation, no one could call it happening.

Doh made 1 dance in his 11 year coaching career, that with inherited kids who made the final four the previous year. Joe Forte left saying he had no people skills. Then had his stellar recruiting class for his last year rebel against him in his third year at UNC. STJ dodged an ICBM there. Let's just say guys like Doh are the reason I would never move back to LI. ;)

Edited for accuracy, or some semblance thereof.

Last edited:
Doh made 1 dance in his 11 year coaching career, that with inherited kids who made the final four the previous year. Joe Forte left saying he had no people skills. Then had his stellar recruiting class for his last year rebel against him in his third year at UNC. STJ dodged an ICBM there. Let's just say guys like Doh are the reason I would never move back to LI. ;)

Edited for accuracy, or some semblance thereof.
Doh spoke at a book club meeting I attended and he was very remorseful and took full responsibility for the way he handled the Carolina job and admitted it has completely humbled him. Actually seemed like a very nice guy.

Doh spoke at a book club meeting I attended and he was very remorseful and took full responsibility for the way he handled the Carolina job and admitted it has completely humbled him. Actually seemed like a very nice guy.
He really should have stayed at ND where he did fine like Bray is doing. Much less pressure than his alma mater boosters, fans provide.

He really should have stayed at ND where he did fine like Bray is doing. Much less pressure than his alma mater boosters, fans provide.

He did fine in his one year? They were positively mediocre with the BE POY. But yes there would have been far lower expectations there than UNC. Eventually he would have insulted Digger, and Lou, and Knute, and fired all their secretaries. :ROFLMAO:

Back