Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

Penders had no shot. A lot of bad blood when he was at Fordham with Coach C. and then while at Texas claimed one of his players who had just been declared ineligible by the NCAA prior to the NCAA tournament had been offered a cash inducement by someone connected to to St. John’s while at a Juco. When Jack Kaiser went to inquire about the allegation, no one could call it happening.
I definitely remember Lou being hot over it. He told them to bring their people and he'd bring his and we'll see who is telling the truth.

Louie vs Penders goes farther back.
The fun began in 1981:

"Lou Carnesecca, the St. John's basketball coach who never before displayed anger toward an opposing coach or player, had to be restrained from hitting Tom Penders, the Fordham coach, early in an exciting game at the Rose Hill Gymnasium yesterday."

St. John's Beats Fordham; Tempers Flare https://nyti.ms/29KQiNb
I remember watching that game on TV.

Refresh my memory on Heron. He committed to Pitt and Slice. Slice leaves and he decommits. We’re the presumptive favorite until Auburn swooped in and made him an offer he couldn’t refuse? He was their 1st ever 5 star player if I remember correctly.

One of my favorite resources has always been the Eurobasket site which, among other things, allowed you to pick a college team and see their database which showed where many past players were playing around the world. The full feature is now behind a paywall, and fatty ain't paying $211 per year. But they now have a weekly roundup of a selection of players from each school's highlights in the world's basketball leagues from the previous weeks. Thought you guys might find it worthwhile to visit every once in a while. Or you could wait for Paultzman to share twitter posts. You be you.

Back