It begins...

Beast of the East post=437168 said:
If you think about it though, if the vaccine is so effective, anyone who is vaccinated should care one bit about people who aren't vaccinated.  After all we are told it's the unvaccinated that are at risk and not the vaccinated. 
Do you have children? Because what you just said here doesn’t work for any parent of children under 12. 

Proud Alumn post=437183 said:
If you think about it though, if the vaccine is so effective, anyone who is vaccinated should care one bit about people who aren't vaccinated.  After all we are told it's the unvaccinated that are at risk and not the vaccinated. 
Do you have children? Because what you just said here doesn’t work for any parent of children under 12. 

Hopefully this changes very soon.   

Just as an fyi, 0-17 year olds have the lowest incidence rate, the lowest hospitalization rates, and lowest mortality rates.

It's this kind of lack of publicizing this data that causes scepticism among anti-vaxxers. 

It's as if our government thinks our populace shouldn't trust the science, just their opinions.

I'm not advocating children not be vaccinated, but I am saying they are at much lower risk for serious illness.

Don't be a lemming, to follow either position, just make the facts available readily.

[URL]https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...s-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html[/URL]

Beast of the East post=437190 said:
Just as an fyi, 0-17 year olds have the lowest incidence rate, the lowest hospitalization rates, and lowest mortality rates.

It's this kind of lack of publicizing this data that causes scepticism among anti-vaxxers. 

It's as if our government thinks our populace shouldn't trust the science, just their opinions.

I'm not advocating children not be vaccinated, but I am saying they are at much lower risk for serious illness.

Don't be a lemming, to follow either position, just make the facts available readily.

[URL]https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...s-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html[/URL]

Yes, those are facts.  But the larger point is two fold.  First, the 0-17 demographic can transmit the virus.  Second, we are trying to put the pandemic behind us by reopening schools without masks and relieving pressure on the health care system.  At this point, getting vaccinated is good citizenship (contributing to the greater good).  

Regarding safety, almost 4 billion people (worldwide) have taken the vaccine.  Four billion!  No drug has ever needed to complete a 4 billion dose trial.  As a previous poster mentioned, full approval is a given and will only take some time because of procedures.  After those 4 billion doses, the vaccine has established a really, really strong safety profile.  To me, anti-vaxxers are refusing to objectively look at this issue or just accepting misinformation from poor sources

Last edited:
Eric post=437180 said:
Knight post=437145 said:
I had Covid in April 2020 and was hospitalized for 10 days followed by 7 days in rehab.  I got the vaccines at Belmont as soon as they were available.  

As for me, there has been too many opinions put forth as science.  Since the vaccines were largely driven by the government, maybe adverse effects should fall on the government, with limitations.  Employers, I believe, have the right to require their workers to be vaccinated.  Those who opt out, well the consequences are on them.

what rehab did you go to?

The Grand at South Point in Island Park.

JohnnyFan post=437191 said:
Beast of the East post=437190 said:

Yes, those are facts.  But the larger point is two fold.  First, the 0-17 demographic can transmit the virus.  Second, we are trying to put the pandemic behind us by reopening schools without masks and relieving pressure on the health care system.  At this point, getting vaccinated is good citizenship (contributing to the greater good).  

Regarding safety, almost 4 billion people (worldwide) have taken the vaccine.  Four billion!  No drug has ever needed to completed a 4 billion dose trial.  As a previous poster mentioned, full approval is a given and will only take some time because of procedure.  After those 4 billion doses, the vaccine has established a really, really strong safety profile.  To me, anti-vaxxers are refusing to objectively look at this issue or taking in misinformation from poor sources

Four Billion???

Agree.  If you're vaccinated then you should be fine, right?  So, no reason to concern yourselves with people who aren't vaccinated.

MJDinkins post=437200 said:
Agree.  If you're vaccinated then you should be fine, right?  So, no reason to concern yourselves with people who aren't vaccinated.
That’s the theory, but then I read the vaccine will minimize the impact the disease will have on you if you contract it, so is it truly a vaccine?  Or is it a prophylactic?  A therapeutic?  Kind of like Cold-eez or vitamin C for a cold (different scale obviously)? I don’t worry about catching small pox or measles or Captain Trips (jk, no cure for that), but I still have to worry about covid?  Seriously I would like our medical personnel to offer their opinions...

Spocky Ramone post=437202 said:
That’s the theory, but then I read the vaccine will minimize the impact the disease will have on you if you contract it, so is it truly a vaccine?  Or is it a prophylactic?  A therapeutic?  Kind of like Cold-eez or vitamin C for a cold (different scale obviously)? I don’t worry about catching small pox or measles or Captain Trips (jk, no cure for that), but I still have to worry about covid?  Seriously I would like our medical personnel to offer their opinions...

Frustrated-businessman-e1510233738462.jpg

After consulting with our doctors and talking with former colleagues at the hospitals where we worked, my wife and I were vaccinated in January. Our 14 year old granddaughter was vaccinated last month.

While I am not a deep thinker, and try not to over analyze things, one statistic regarding covid has me feeling comfortable about getting the vaccine, 99% of recent covid deaths are people who have not been vaccinated.

MJDinkins post=437200
That's an extremely selfish, self centered and myopic perspective.  The virus mutates when it replicates so every time one unvaccinated person passes it to another the virus has a chance to evolve into something current vaccinations don't protect the vaccinated from.  Case in point, the delta variant.  

Think of it this way.  You live in a community out west and its fire season and you have a drought.   60% of the community has stopped using their charcoal grills and fire pits to avoid setting the state on fire.  The remaining 40% are burning trash in an open barrel in their back yards and planning a fireworks show for the weekend.  Would you be concerned with the 40% if you were in the 60%?

[URL]https://www.breakthroughs.com/...w-do-viruses-mutate-and-what-it-means-vaccine[/URL]

Well this is a yes and no answer.  The more virus that is out there (due to the unvaccinated)  it does increase the risk for those vaccinated to still get covid as they are out and about thinking and assuming they are protected maskless or someone in their home came down with it and it is now in your home.   The hope and thought is if you do catch it you are asymptomatic and or have minimal symptoms due to the vaccine.  

Last edited:
Knight post=437194 said:
Eric post=437180 said:
Knight post=437145 said:
I had Covid in April 2020 and was hospitalized for 10 days followed by 7 days in rehab.  I got the vaccines at Belmont as soon as they were available.  

As for me, there has been too many opinions put forth as science.  Since the vaccines were largely driven by the government, maybe adverse effects should fall on the government, with limitations.  Employers, I believe, have the right to require their workers to be vaccinated.  Those who opt out, well the consequences are on them.

what rehab did you go to?

The Grand at South Point in Island Park.

Ah.  My old stomping grounds island park.  How is that place for rehab?  Its a subacute rehab right?   Hope you had a full recovery

Last edited:
SJUFAN2 post=437211 said:
MJDinkins post=437200
That's an extremely selfish, self centered and myopic perspective.  The virus mutates when it replicates so every time one unvaccinated person passes it to another the virus has a chance to evolve into something current vaccinations don't protect the vaccinated from.  Case in point, the delta variant.  

Think of it this way.  You live in a community out west and its fire season and you have a drought.   60% of the community has stopped using their charcoal grills and fire pits to avoid setting the state on fire.  The remaining 40% are burning trash in an open barrel in their back yards and planning a fireworks show for the weekend.  Would you be concerned with the 40% if you were in the 60%?

[URL]https://www.breakthroughs.com/...w-do-viruses-mutate-and-what-it-means-vaccine[/URL]
Viruses mutate constantly, which many times the mutation is weaker and minute that one never is aware of its mutation.  For an example, the flu virus is constantly mutating and changing, which is why doctors recommend people get the flu vaccine every year.  It's a vaccine that I've never had and I've also never had the flu.  The Covid virus has also been mutating for a year.   

Secondly, I've had Covid (I had it March of 2020).  I felt like I was dealing with allergy symptoms as I occasionally deal with allergies, particularly around late February, all of March, and early April are the times when it usually rears its head, as that's when the pollen levels are high in my area.  The allergy symptoms lingered for about two or three days before I lost my ability to taste and smell.  I lost my ability to taste and smell for three days and then it fairly quickly subsided.  I dealt with a dry cough for about 1 1/2 weeks afterwards, and woke up one morning and it was gone. I may have been slightly fatigued for a couple of days, but nothing extremely noticeable.  

Here's the thing: I'll take my chances and continue to build my immune system naturally than to take a trial shot at this juncture.  I often exercise, eat fairly well, drink my share of water, and take supplements, vitamins and natural herbs.  This is a country (supposedly) built on freedom and right of choice, and not have to be badgered and ostracized for not wanting to take a vaccine shot.  If people want to wait a year, two years or more before they deciding to take it (or, if they ever take it at all), then that is their right, as well as it should be.    

Last edited:
Eric post=437223 said:

Well this is a yes and no answer.  The more virus that is out there (due to the unvaccinated)  it does increase the risk for those vaccinated to still get covid as they are out and about thinking and assuming they are protected maskless or someone in their home came down with it and it is now in your home.   The hope and thought is if you do catch it you are asymptomatic and or have minimal symptoms due to the vaccine.  

I personally know a guy who has been dealing with fatigue and ringing of the ears like 5 or 6 weeks after the vaccination.  I also have this suspicion that the vaccine played a role in the recent passing of a woman I've known since childhood.

Lastly, I'm sure that's the hope, Eric, but I've been reading stories lately of people getting pretty sick after catching the virus weeks or months after being vaccinated (read one as recently as last night). 

MJDinkins post=437225 said:
MJDinkins post=437200

Viruses mutate constantly, which many times the mutation is weaker and minute that one never is aware of its mutation.  For an example, the flu virus is constantly mutating and changing, which is why doctors recommend people get the flu vaccine every year.  It's a vaccine that I've never had and I've also never had the flu.  The Covid virus has also been mutating for a year.   

Secondly, I've had Covid (I had it March of 2020).  I felt like I was dealing with allergy symptoms as I occasionally deal with allergies, particularly around late February and early April as that's when he pollen levels are high in my area.  The allergy symptoms lingered for about two or three days before I lost my ability to taste and smell.  I lost my ability to taste and smell for three days and then it fairly quickly subsided.  I dealt with a dry cough for about 1 1/2 weeks afterwards, and woke up one morning and it was gone.  

Here's the thing: I'll take my chances and continue to build my immune system naturally than to take a trial shot at this juncture.  I often exercise, eat fairly well, drink my share of water, and take supplements, vitamins and natural herbs.  This is a country (supposedly) built on freedom and right of choice, and not have to be badgered and ostracized for not wanting to take a vaccine shot.  If people want to wait a year, two years or more before they deciding to take it (or, if they ever take it at all), then that is their right, as well as it should be.    
Never said you didn't have the right to do what you want, nobody has.  But having freedom to make choices doesn't exempt you from the consequences of those choices.  You be you.  But when people complain about being "ostracized" for making choices that put others at risk, well it seems a bit whiny.  You made your choice and basically told the rest of the world to screw off.   Maybe just own that and live with the results of your choice.  The rest of us have to.  

SJUFAN2 post=437227 said:
MJDinkins post=437225 said:
MJDinkins post=437200

Secondly, I've had Covid (I had it March of 2020).  I felt like I was dealing with allergy symptoms as I occasionally deal with allergies, particularly around late February and early April as that's when he pollen levels are high in my area.  The allergy symptoms lingered for about two or three days before I lost my ability to taste and smell.  I lost my ability to taste and smell for three days and then it fairly quickly subsided.  I dealt with a dry cough for about 1 1/2 weeks afterwards, and woke up one morning and it was gone.  

Never said you didn't have the right to do what you want, nobody has.  But having freedom to make choices doesn't exempt you from the consequences of those choices.  You be you.  But when people complain about being "ostracized" for making choices that put others at risk, well it seems a bit whiny.  You made your choice and basically told the rest of the world to screw off.   Maybe just own that and live with the results of your choice.  The rest of us have to.  

You have your beliefs and I have mine.  We can agree to disagree until further evidence.  Press on.  

Back