(GAVITT) Nebraska, Thur., Nov. 17, 6:30p, FS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMA would have gotten Ponds in shape I think, and we would have seen an even better version. And Owens was the perfect big for Anderson’s system on the defensive end.
Yea we are very lucky to have coach, imagine how lucky we would feel if we ever made the tournament
Don’t dislike Anderson but so far this has not what you would call a success.

Yea we are very lucky to have coach, imagine how lucky we would feel if we ever made the tournament
Don’t dislike Anderson but so far this has not what you would call a success.
Agreed about success so far but do think it’s fair to say CMA would have had him in better shape.

1. Billy Singleton
2. Anthony Glover
3. Wusu
Players who have had their shots viciously thrown back at them the most in my lifetime
One game Mourning and Mutombo blocked like 42 shots vs us. Half were on Singleton.
As Peter Vesey once said about the late Glen Gondrazick he’s the only player in the NBA that can block his own jump shot.

Agreed about success so far but do think it’s fair to say CMA would have had him in better shape.
Funny thing about coaches
My favorite team ever was Jarvis Elite 8 team
Over time showed he couldn’t coach
Thought Louie was boring but always made the tournament
Who knows
Norm def sucked though

Keita is nowhere near ready for primetime.
Yeah he has great foot speed and may become a plus shot blocker.
But he has been getting pushed around by low majors.
He has shown he doesn't yet have the strength to corral a contested rebound against low majors.
Nywie is important.
You are missing the point, though. We may be need one or possibly two more games without him. Sure, I wouldn't want to not have him in February.

Posh has been getting 30+ minutes most nights for the past two seasons. The minutes are there if you produce. I think Ponds as well as Simon would have been awesome in CMA's system. As for being featured, for two years it has been the Champagnie show so I don't think Ponds would have had any problem being the guy.

Keita is nowhere near ready for primetime.
Yeah he has great foot speed and may become a plus shot blocker.
But he has been getting pushed around by low majors.
He has shown he doesn't yet have the strength to corral a contested rebound against low majors.
Nywie is important.
You are definitely right about Nyiwe. St Johns is going to need him back soon. Keita is a year away and just needs to build up a strong core. That will happen in the off season. Right now, the BE would crush his spirit. Next year though? Look out. He will be ready to mix it up some. By his Junior year? Could be a defensive beast and a rebounding shot blocking machine. Loads of potential for that guy.

Funny thing about coaches
My favorite team ever was Jarvis Elite 8 team
Over time showed he couldn’t coach
Thought Louie was boring but always made the tournament
Who knows
Norm def sucked though
I don’t think that Jarvis couldn’t coach, but he certainly forgot how to recruit or didn’t put the effort into it. His elite 8 team was the last good NCAA run this program has had.

Jarvis could coach IMO. The recruiting was a different issue entirely.
He knew how to coach one side of the ball very well. But he was another of many coaches (not just St. John's) who seemed to think that his team would get rewarded with points on the scoreboard, simply by playing good defense.

Honestly, he should have been fired for refusing to suspend Grady Reynolds after the incident with the swimmer, especially after a settlement was reached.

He knew how to coach one side of the ball very well. But he was another of many coaches (not just St. John's) who seemed to think that his team would get rewarded with points on the scoreboard, simply by playing good defense.

Honestly, he should have been fired for refusing to suspend Grady Reynolds after the incident with the swimmer, especially after a settlement was reached.

I had forgotten about Grady Reynolds and the 2003 criminal charges he faced relating to an incident with a St. John’s female student. It appears Reynolds’s charges were ACDed on condition he complete counseling. In todays world he would have been booted off of the team.

Jarvis recruited Hatten, who covered his @ss, after he basically stopped recruiting. We were supposed to have Cook at PG and Darius Miles. Miles went NBA, Cook split after freshman year, Hatten came in the following year. Darryl Hill after Hatten, I believe.

Jarvis did not win with his players, those were Fran's recruits and Jarvis rode them as long as he could. As Fran's, and Mahoney's, recruits graduated Jarvis couldn't maintain the talent level. And Jarvii II didn't really pull his weight, either.

Jarvis recruited Hatten, who covered his @ss, after he basically stopped recruiting. We were supposed to have Cook at PG and Darius Miles. Miles went NBA, Cook split after freshman year, Hatten came in the following year. Darryl Hill after Hatten, I believe.

Jarvis did not win with his players, those were Fran's recruits and Jarvis rode them as long as he could. As Fran's, and Mahoney's, recruits graduated Jarvis couldn't maintain the talent level. And Jarvii II didn't really pull his weight, either.
That team would not have went to Elite 8 with Fran. Team hated him. Also arguably he had better team year before and got upset in 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back