FLORIDA - Relocating

I love Florida. My wife and I have lived in Sarasota for the past 8 years. We have no problem celebrating Christmas in the Florida climate. We have bought and decorated a live tree every year we have lived here. Outdoor decorations can be put up without getting frostbite.It is a fallacy to think you need snow and frigid temperatures to enjoy the Christmas spirit. I think the weather was pretty warm in Bethlehem.

AlBovino post=446743 said:
I love Florida. My wife and I have lived in Sarasota for the past 8 years. We have no problem celebrating Christmas in the Florida climate. We have bought and decorated a live tree every year we have lived here. Outdoor decorations can be put up without getting frostbite.It is a fallacy to think you need snow and frigid temperatures to enjoy the Christmas spirit. I think the weather was pretty warm in Bethlehem.
Naples is really decked out for Christmas, especially downtown 5th and also 3rd.  The Botanical Garden in Naples does a really nice night where the park it lit with lights and music plays.   

That's not to mention that the Catholic Churches are huge and every mass is packed every week in season.

Last edited:
Looking forward to being a transplant in late 2022, early 2023 to the Boynton Beach/Wellington area.

Spent part of theChristmas season in Key Largo a number of years ago. The chamber of commerce was throwing a nighttime bus tour of homes and businesses decked out in lights.
I thought it was going to be boring. But when I got on the bus, the first thing I was asked was whether I wanted beer or rum. I was surrounded by a bunch of local seniors who could drink a mule under the table. It was a bus load of people feeling the Christmas spirit big time by the time we made it to the town tree. A very Keys-kinda night with fun people.

Last edited:
AlBovino post=446743 said:
I'm sure you are right about Florida but trust me I've been to bethlehem in march and it isnt warm like florida :)

MainMan post=446766 said:
Spent part of theChristmas season in Key Largo a number of years ago. The chamber of commerce was throwing a nighttime bus tour of homes and businesses decked out in lights.
I thought it was going to be boring. But when I got on the bus, the first thing I was asked was whether I wanted beer or rum. I was surrounded by a bunch of local seniors who could drink a mule under the table. It was a bus load of people feeling the Christmas spirit big time by the time we made it to the town tree. A very Keys-kinda night with fun people.
Memo to self. In 10 years call Main Man for xmas drinking

With retirement, I am in North Palm Beach for 7 months and the Adirondacks for 5.  It is the best of two beautiful worlds.  Plus, there are many Florida teams to root against just to torment the natives. And, on the East Coast of Florida particularly, a ton of misguided Massachusetts and Connecticut fans to combat.
Along either coast, there a so many great retirement benefits!

redmaninalbany post=446770 said:
With retirement, I am in North Palm Beach for 7 months and the Adirondacks for 5.  It is the best of two beautiful worlds.  Plus, there are many Florida teams to root against just to torment the natives. And, on the East Coast of Florida particularly, a ton of misguided Massachusetts and Connecticut fans to combat.
where in the adirondacks ? I kinda wanna buy a summer place driving distance from long island

mjmaherjr post=446772 said:
where in the adirondacks ? I kinda wanna buy a summer place driving distance from long island
———-

hey MJ, check out Adirondack’s Schroon Lake which is a straight shot  from LI on I-87….. 9 mile lake, water quality ranked among best by ENCON …..  centrally located: 45 minutes north of Saratoga ……     1 hour from Lake Placid ….. less congestion s less expensive real estate than Lake George.

I recently asked SJU how many alums live in Florida.  I have to check, but I believe the number is about 7000.  Plenty of opportunities for alumni to connect on both coasts

Last edited:

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Also, Brant Lake, I have a buddy and he and his family love the lake, it is very beautiful, of course, they love the house on the lake and the boating and they are also skiers that is there for the wintertime.

BrookJersey Redmen post=446837 said:

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Also, Brant Lake, I have a buddy and he and his family love the lake, it is very beautiful, of course, they love the house on the lake and the boating and they are also skiers that is there for the wintertime.

Upstate, real estate pricing is incredibly depressed in many areas simply because many small cities and towns have been hit hard by corporations vacating for more profitable venues.   Syracuse is a good example.   My friend sold his mom's home after she passed away for about $85K.   I remember visiting Lake George for an AAU tournament some years back.   It was the week before the 4th of July, and in the village motels were almost vacant.   Unemployment was high in the area, because the heyday of simpler vacations driving from NYC declined severely years ago. 

Depending on location, you can get real estate at bargain prices.   I had a friend whose family had a place on the Delaware River not far from Narrowsburg.  He spent summer there a long time ago, and was in a community where there were few vacation homes, high unemployment, and a lot of townies.   

NYS is a big state though, and the Adirondacks for example have gone through substantial development and real estate likely to be higher for new homes.

An alternative is looking on the North Fork of LI.   Taxes are dirt cheap compared to western suffolk county, and although way more expensive have an upside in terms of appreciation..

If selling a primary residence in the NYC Metro area in order to relocate, that has always been a tricky game.  Around NYC RE prices more often than not trend upwards and many people who sell and leave find they are priced out of the market if they look to return.

Last edited:
Yeah, but have pandemic real estate prices calmed down in the Hudson Valley, Catskills, Adirondacks, etc?

It was an irrational surge unlike any upstate NY had ever seen. I'd hold off until that bubble pops. 

We first put our Clinton Corners (near Rhinebeck) in Fall 2019, took it off the market in Winter, and it sold for above asking in October 2020.

fuchsia post=446855 said:
We first put our Clinton Corners (near Rhinebeck) in Fall 2019, took it off the market in Winter, and it sold for above asking in October 2020.
I'll keep that in mind next time I see you and the check comes.  :)

Beast of the East post=446841 said:
BrookJersey Redmen post=446837 said:

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Upstate, real estate pricing is incredibly depressed in many areas simply because many small cities and towns have been hit hard by corporations vacating for more profitable venues.   Syracuse is a good example.   My friend sold his mom's home after she passed away for about $85K.   I remember visiting Lake George for an AAU tournament some years back.   It was the week before the 4th of July, and in the village motels were almost vacant.   Unemployment was high in the area, because the heyday of simpler vacations driving from NYC declined severely years ago. 

Depending on location, you can get real estate at bargain prices.   I had a friend whose family had a place on the Delaware River not far from Narrowsburg.  He spent summer there a long time ago, and was in a community where there were few vacation homes, high unemployment, and a lot of townies.   

NYS is a big state though, and the Adirondacks for example have gone through substantial development and real estate likely to be higher for new homes.

An alternative is looking on the North Fork of LI.   Taxes are dirt cheap compared to western suffolk county, and although way more expensive have an upside in terms of appreciation..

If selling a primary residence in the NYC Metro area in order to relocate, that has always been a tricky game.  Around NYC RE prices more often than not trend upwards and many people who sell and leave find they are priced out of the market if they look to return.

The North Fork of L.I. used to be best kept secret. Very reasonable property taxes and home prices that were moderate and quite modest compared to the South Fork. Unfortunately, in today's market, it's not easy to find a house on the North Fork (Mattituck, Southold or Greenport) for much less than $1M.

MainMan post=446847 said:
Yeah, but have pandemic real estate prices calmed down in the Hudson Valley, Catskills, Adirondacks, etc?

====
The pandemic has actually accelerated lakefront prices in the Adirondacks.   Lake George is Lake George with the highest lakefront prices in upstate.  I am not sure that you can find any residence with lakefront on Lake George for less than $1M, and there are not many lakefront residences on Brant or Schroon for less than $800K.

Below is a link to some Lake George lakefront listings
[URL]https://www.davies-davies.com/property/waterfront/[/URL]]Waterfront Property Lake George: Lakefront Real Estate, Homes, Property, Estates, Cabins, Camps, Condos, Timeshares, Townhouses, Docks | Davies-Davies & Associates Real Estate[/url]

Last edited:
otis post=446868 said:

====
The pandemic has actually accelerated lakefront prices in the Adirondacks.   Lake George is Lake George with the highest lakefront prices in upstate.  I am not sure that you can find any residence with lakefront on Lake George for less than $1M, and there are not many lakefront residences on Brant or Schroon for less than $800K.

[URL]https://www.davies-davies.com/property/waterfront/[/URL]]Waterfront Property Lake George: Lakefront Real Estate, Homes, Property, Estates, Cabins, Camps, Condos, Timeshares, Townhouses, Docks | Davies-Davies & Associates Real Estate[/url]

Yup. 

My point is that prices are inflated because of the (mostly) irrational response to COVID - ie big-money New Yorkers buying country homes to feel safer from the pandemic with the thought that they will never have to commute to the office again.

When everything is a bidding war and prices are reaching levels never before seen, history shows that sanity eventually returns and the market will readjust. I just hope it's not an outright crash. 

Last edited:
MainMan post=446920 said:
otis post=446868 said:

====

Yup. 

My point is that prices are inflated because of the (mostly) irrational response to COVID - ie big-money New Yorkers buying country homes to feel safer from the pandemic with the thought that they will never have to commute to the office again.

When everything is a bidding war and prices are reaching levels never before seen, history shows that sanity eventually returns and the market will readjust. I just hope it's not an outright crash. 

No doubt that is what is driving the market.  And its not just lakefront.  You can't buy a property in the NY tri-state area the last 18 months that doesn't have a dozen or more "site unseen" bids within a few hours of being posted on a real estate site.   Someone just sold a townhouse next door to me that is identical to mine for 80% more than I paid 7 years ago.  

Not sure its "irrational" though for NYer's to be looking for more space in the boonies.   If I had a 600 square foot apt in NYC I'd have been looking to move out of the city after about 20minutes of being locked down.

SJUFAN2 post=446936 said:
Not sure its "irrational" though for NYer's to be looking for more space in the boonies.   If I had a 600 square foot apt in NYC I'd have been looking to move out of the city after about 20minutes of being locked down.

Agreed.  And while it will slow down I'm not sure you'll see a huge regression as we come out of this.  The only thing tying many to their urban homes, once they've consumed all the cultural and diversified content they need, is the desire for a short commute.  But Post COVID that may not be an issue in many fields.  We're trying to recruit a mid level marketing manager but no one wants to come to the office for more than 2-3 days a week at most even if they're local, and the Chinese for now are not flexible in that regard.

Back