FLORIDA - Relocating

Knight

Staff member
2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter Moderator
Tonyinfairfield post=439867 said:
Renewed. Although we're in the process of moving down to South Florida so there will be many games I will not be able to attend. We didn't know this last year when I renewed and had the tickets carry over to this year.

Tony,
Where are you looking? We’re interested in Boynton Beach.

I’m looking for some input on relocating to the Wellington / Boynton Beach area.
Considering 55+ communities and other gated communities.
any feedback is welcomed.

Last edited:
Knight post=439917 said:
I’m looking for some input on relocating to the Wellington / Boynton Beach area.
Considering 55+ communities and other gated communities.
any feedback is welcomed.

I have a friend who is a big real estate broker in that area ( he lives in wellington but covers big area ) if you need someone let me know

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and look at Vero Beach to the north of Wellington….. less traffic congestion.

Central Florida is about 15 miles south of Orlando. 55+  gated community Del Webb Orlando. Great amenities a beautiful place to live. It is off US 27, 2 miles from I-4 highway. 
We have been here 2 years and love it!

Last edited:
Welling ton is great for families, but it’s too West for me. Boyton is a good location.
Regarding going North , Martin county is a good option , the county just north of pal beach county. Real estate getting expensive in Palm  beach county and it is getting congested. I live in N Boca. Might want to rent for 6 months so you could really see what you like and fits your budget. A lot of homeowners associations down  here, have to look at monthly fees, what you get for it, IE lawn care, and does it have reserves, so you don’t get an expensive assessment.

Last edited:
Knight post=439877 said:
Renewed. Although we're in the process of moving down to South Florida so there will be many games I will not be able to attend. We didn't know this last year when I renewed and had the tickets carry over to this year.

Tony,
Knight, sorry for the delayed response.  Our son and his family live in Miami, in the very northern part of the city. So we bought near them, in a village just north of Miami, called Miami Shores. Would definitely have gotten a better deal in Boynton Beach, but we wanted to be close to our grandkids. As it is, we're 1.3 miles away! Can't wait to get together with other Johnnies in South Florida and watch a game as a group!

Last edited:
Tonyinfairfield post=439927 said:
Knight post=439877 said:

Tony,
Knight, sorry for the delayed response.  Our son and his family live in Miami, in the very northern part of the city. So we bought near them, in a village just north of Miami, called Miami Shores. Would definitely have gotten a better deal in Boynton Beach, but we wanted to be close to our grandkids. As it is, we're 1.3 miles away! Can't wait to get together with other Johnnies in South Florida and watch a game as a group!

Thanks Tony. New thread in the Player’s Lounge.

I am in Northern edge of Deerfield Beach, about 200 yards from Hillsboro Canal that separates Palm Beach County from Broward County (and Deerfield Beach from Boca Raton).  Rich Steinfeld and his son and I have watched games together.  I would add that how far East or West also determines price with closer to ocean typically pricier.  Was in Vero Beach for dinner just this week.  The offer of contact with a broker friend of someone on this board probably makes sense as the thing in Florida is that there can be multimillion dollar homes right next to a trailer park.  While the people in the trailer park are probably much nicer, all this stuff impacts resale.  We inherited my folks house but I remember they started in an "all the free-standing" homes alike in a development with a central pool and clubhouse and then shopped locally till they found what they wanted.  Good luck and look forward to a post-Covid expanded Boca Bash era of watching games with fellow redmen.

All the areas mentioned are good and reasonably priced.  We just bought in Miami Shores because we want to be close to our son and grandkids, who live in Miami. We know we would have gotten more for our money a little more North, but we wanted to be in a position where if one of our grandkids needs to be picked up from school, we can be there in about 5 minutes, rather than 45 to 60.

We haven't moved down there yet, but when we do, I look forward to South Florida get togethers with fellow redmen.comers and watching some games as a group. And one of my biggest regrets will be giving up my season tickets and not attending games at MSG or CA. 

I expect to be in Vero pretty much throughour this coming StJohn's mens basketball season and would be pleased to get together with fellow Redmen.comers to watch games.

Any thoughts on homes with or without pools?

a small sample size - the last 5 houses that sold in my florida hood all had pools and each had multiple offers the first day for sale.
since then one poolless house went for sale about one month ago and is still for sale. i am 5 miles from the gulf beaches.
after 43 years of watching games live in alumni hall/carnesecca arena, the last 27 years as a season ticket holder, i moved to florida.  
the first 3 b-ball seasons i bought the basketball package to see our beloved johnnies.
i have not bought the b package in a long time as the johnnies are usually on my tv. for those very few times they are not on my tv, i go to a sports bar to see them. 
of course i have bought the baseball package every year for my more beloved 27 times world champion ny yankees.

section10 post=439935 said:
a small sample size - the last 5 houses that sold in my florida hood all had pools and each had multiple offers the first day for sale.
since then one poolless house went for sale about one month ago and is still for sale. i am 5 miles from the gulf beaches.
after 43 years of watching games live in alumni hall/carnesecca arena, the last 27 years as a season ticket holder, i moved to florida.  
the first 3 b-ball seasons i bought the basketball package to see our beloved johnnies.
i have not bought the b package in a long time as the johnnies are usually on my tv. for those very few times they are not on my tv, i go to a sports bar to see them. 
of course i have bought the baseball package every year for my more beloved 27 times world champion ny yankees.
Don't believe there has been a college basketball package offered in a long time. ESPN used to offer fullcourt package but all those games are now offered as part of just getting espn or espn+.

Knight post=439934 said:
Any thoughts on homes with or without pools—-

Even though I have a pool, I don’t think you need one if the development has one. Things r selling fast down here w or w/o pool. I no longer even use my pool, but have to pay every month to maintain.

Last edited:
Live in Central Florida  from LI    Have a pool love it although the community has over 100 pools  I enjoy being able to just Jump right in after golf or softball   and Is great when  the grandkids visit ---Also have comcast  all Redman games are on FS or CBS    Good Luck

Do most of you Floridians live in single family homes, condos or town homes?  Apartments?
I have heard home and auto insurance are very expensive and registering a car when moving to Florida is a pricy item.  True?

single family, HOA, pool, non gated.
i brought down from new york 3 cars, 17 years ago. florida charged $100 per car.
my cousin brought down one car 21 years ago and was charged $800.
a year later he was charged $400. i dont know the current fee.
home insurance $772 based on insurance firm valuing my house at $366k. hurricane insurance $697.
insurance for 3 cars - $1813, all have collision, all $100 deductible, 8, 15, and 16 years old. clean driving record.

Knight post=439941 said:
Do most of you Floridians live in single family homes, condos or town homes?  Apartments?
I have heard home and auto insurance are very expensive and registering a car when moving to Florida is a pricy item.  True? 

We are in a single family ---There is  somewhat of a  high cost for first time registering a car  200-300 !  but after that  around 80-100 per year  --and no yearly inspections ... Car insurance is much cheaper --800 for full coverage .. home insurance just went but still around the same I was paying on The Island ---NO STATE TAX ! 

Knight post=439941 said:
Do most of you Floridians live in single family homes, condos or town homes?  

===
We chose to purchase a condo because we will be snow birds and did not want to assume all obligations of home maintenance for months we will not be there.  

Back