Daniss Jenkins

How long is a 'long time', Julian was our best player.....

Agree with Monte, started out not liking DJ, he has his flaws, but he grew on me, and his overall play really helped us last year get to where we got.

Blow by's on D and dribbling too much notwithstanding.

How anyone can say Jenkins wasn't is outright insane. As monte said it perfectly our best player and one of the best in the conference . Yeah maybe it him a game or two to get accustomed to big east play but once he did he was lights out . Probably one of our best point guards in a while
Ageee NJF. And unlike some of our past very good PGs, the kid never took a play off or mopped. 100%+ every second on the court at both ends. When you go that hard, mistakes will happen. Those kinds of mistakes I can accept.

Best player we've had in a long time? That would be Posh Alexander.
LMF, disagree. Posh was a nice Player for his 3 years here . He has a likable playing style that is all hustle and effort . Fans like that determination .
Unfortunately , Posh had limitations in his game that prevented him from being considered a “ best player .”
Jenkins was far superior to Posh and most fans here recognize that . You and a handful of others have a blind spot when evaluating his performance .
And , using the words long term about Posh’s being great just isn’t accurate .
Shamorie Ponds was the best player we have had in the last 10 years, maybe more .
Jenkins was 2nd Team All BE voted by Coaches other than Pitino .
I don’t think Posh got a vote for anything last season at Butler .,

It was a joke, Mase - just teasing MR was all.

However the statement that Jenkins is the best player we've had "in a long time" is also a joke. People have seriously short memories.

To the extent the Jenkins argument is "but he was second team all Big East":

Soriano was second team all Big East in 22-23
Champagnie was first team all Big East in 21-22 and before that in 20-21.
Ponds was first team all Big East in 18-19
Oh, and Posh was the Big East Co-DPOY and Freshman of the Year in 20/21.

IMHO the difference between Marillac "the Jenkins hater" and the Jenkins pom-pom boys is that Marillac actually has basketball reasons and some data to support his opinion, whereas the other side has "but we love Jenkins and he scored all those points for us" without considering the consequence of him "scoring all those points for us."

Good player, enormously over-used by Pitino, don't know whether a different approach would have been more or less successful than that, but we do know that it didn't get the team to the NCAA's.

And we also know that he wasn't "the best player we've had in a long time" unless we are defining "a long time" as he summer of 2023.

Last edited:

However the statement that Jenkins is the best player we've had "in a long time" is also a joke. People have seriously short memories.

Oh, and Posh was the Bit East Co-DPOY and Freshman of the Year in 20/21.

IMHO the difference between Marillac "the Jenkins hater" and the Jenkins pom-pom boys is that Marillac actually has basketball reasons and some data to support his opinion, whereas the other side has "but we love Jenkins and he scored all those points for us" without considering the consequence of him "scoring all those points for us."

Good player, enormously over-used by Pitino, don't know whether a different approach would have been more or less successful than that, but we do know that it didn't get the team to the NCAA's.

And we also know that he wasn't "the best player we've had in a long time" unless we are defining "a long time" as he summer of 2023.
Sorry, my yikes was also in jest as to point out the down times.

FWIW I would take Jenkins over Posh and I wouldn’t think twice. and it’s not that the points against Jenkins don’t have merit, I just find Marillac’s to be greatly exaggerated while also failing to appreciate the things he did very well. And he did do things very well. There are basketball reasons and data that support that as well.

Sorry, my yikes was also in jest as to point out the down times.

FWIW I would take Jenkins over Posh and I wouldn’t think twice. and it’s not that the points against Jenkins don’t have merit, I just find Marillac’s to be greatly exaggerated while also failing to appreciate the things he did very well. And he did do things very well. There are basketball reasons and data that support that as well.

I agree.

Oh, and Posh was the Big East Co-DPOY and Freshman of the Year in 20/21.

We're fully aligned on this. I do think if we got Clayton instead of Dingle, we'd all be singing a different tune about Jenkins.

Fingers crossed that the team with the last pick of the draft takes their hometown kid. Come on Mavericks, take the young man from Hillcrest High School.

If not, then he will kill it in the summer league.

Back