Daniss Jenkins

The chucking wasn’t even as bad as the over-dribbling and denying every other perimeter player a chance to create or even be comfortable besides Luis — who just didn’t ever give the ball back him.
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Damn playing for SJU must've been fun for Jordan Dingle and Naheim Alleyne. They got to play like crap for 3/4's of the season and they don't even take the brunt of the blame for it.

Then they ended the season playing well, which is weird cause they had the same ball hogging, shot chucking, selfish, me first point guard they had for the first part of the season. I still don't know how it happened

Also to Jordan Dingle's credit, he accepted culpability for his lackluster play, there was an article in the post about it when the season was winding down.

He then picked up his play, ended the season performing much better, but yet we still have to throw the narrative around that Daniss was stiff arming Dingle like a running back every time Jordan asked for the ball. It is utter nonsense

Yeah I know. I'm not sure Dingle doesn't get the main part of the blame from a majority of fans + wasn't the main source of frustration for the first three months of the season from the majority of fans. The Jenkins thing is basically Marillac + a few posters including myself who think he's more okay than great.
I am admittedly not a big #SJUBB guy so my interaction with fans mostly happens here. Do I put too much stock into what is said on here, yea probably. BUT if Marillac and Co just didn't love Jenkins game and that was that, you wouldn't see me partaking in this thread much.

what ropes me in EVERY single time without fail, is when Marillac does his little dance about how no one else on the team could contribute enough last year because of Daniss Jenkins. we all saw Jordan Dingle and many others get countless looks they are good enough to hit. WE ALL SAW dingle be loose with the ball every time he tried to initiate the offense himself. We lost 13 games last year, Dingle had double digit shot attempts in 11 of them. This was far from a guy just passively watching a ball hog point guard. But yet it all comes back on Jenkins somehow, a guy who already showed that he can co star in the backcourt with another guard, and they both put up good numbers, w/ Clayton at Iona.

What makes the notion even more ridiculous is we saw what happened when Jordan Dingle actually played well late in the season. With the same team cancer by his side, he was able to start producing when he, I don't know, made more shots.

Dingle is a good basketball player who fell in love with taking 3's for much of the season. But he missed nearly all of them during our worst stretch of the season. From the game we lost @creighton to the game we lost at UBS against Seton Hall (Our bad 2-6 stretch in the middle of big east play) - Jordan Dingle shot 11 for 49 from 3. Good enough for just a shade over 20%. And to make matters worse he didn't change his game to start hunting mid range looks until far too late in the season.

TLDR - Controversial take - Dingle playing poorly is actually the fault of Dingle

Last edited:
I am admittedly not a big #SJUBB guy so my interaction with fans mostly happens here. Do I put too much stock into what is said on here, yea probably. BUT if Marillac and Co just didn't love Jenkins game and that was that, you wouldn't see me partaking in this thread much.

what ropes me in EVERY single time without fail, is when Marillac does his little dance about how no one else on the team could contribute enough last year because of Daniss Jenkins. we all saw Jordan Dingle and many others get countless looks they are good enough to hit. WE ALL SAW dingle be loose with the ball every time he tried to initiate the offense himself. We lost 13 games last year, Dingle had double digit shot attempts in 11 of them. This was far from a guy just passively watching a ball hog point guard. But yet it all comes back on Jenkins somehow, a guy who already showed that he can co star in the backcourt with another guard, and they both put up good numbers, w/ Clayton at Iona.

What makes the notion even more ridiculous is we saw what happened when Jordan Dingle actually played well late in the season. With the same team cancer by his side, he was able to start producing when he, I don't know, made more shots.

Dingle is a good basketball player who fell in love with taking 3's for much of the season. But he missed nearly all of them during our worst stretch of the season. From the game we lost @creighton to the game we lost at UBS against Seton Hall (Our bad 2-6 stretch in the middle of big east play) - Jordan Dingle shot 11 for 49 from 3. Good enough for just a shade over 20%. And to make matters worse he didn't change his game to start hunting mid range looks until far too late in the season.

TLDR - Controversial take - Dingle playing poorly is actually the fault of Dingle
I think marillac is the one person who disagrees with this

Nope, not the only person.
I'm also not a Jenkins fan, I'm closer aligned to you about him. But I also think the temperature of the room amongst fans agita was geared much more with Dingle than Jenkins. I just don't think this board had DJ "bear the brunt" of fan frustration, let alone anywhere else.

I'm also not a Jenkins fan, I'm closer aligned to you about him. But I also think the temperature of the room amongst fans agita was geared much more with Dingle than Jenkins. I just don't think this board had DJ "bear the brunt" of fan frustration, let alone anywhere else.
I don't really have an issue with any of the players on the team last year, despite the heat many of them took from different segments of the fan base. The one who I am probably most critical of is RJ Luis, because his flaws were largely mental and I can't stand stupid basketball. And even he gets a pass from me to some extent because I don't know to what extent the lack of practice time impacted him.

For me, as far as how certain players performed, the buck stops with the coach. My feeling for most of last season was that Pitino was trying to pound square pegs into round holes, and I felt that if he was willing to adapt to the personnel he had instead of the personnel he wished he had then that would have really helped a lot of the players.

Jenkins was not exactly miscast, but he was way, way overused for what he is. Dingle was a player who needed the ball in his hands and thrives in the midrange and going to the hoop, instead he was set up to be a three point shooter or the third or fourth option on the floor, which was an enormous adjustment for him and one that he did not successfully make until the end of the year (we can argue about whether that coincided with Jenkins being less ball-dominant and the team also winning games). Soriano, who is a back-to-the-basket big man with a nice touch from the free throw line, was expected to be a rim runner which he isn't. Taylor got yo-yo-ed around in the lineup, I am assuming that he had a green light to shoot but a Sir Dom-like reluctance to do that, so I give Pitino a pass on that.

As I've posted before I have no idea whether the team would have been better served or had a better season with a different approach. I do think Pitino was a couple of games short of maximizing what he could get out of the team he had in the way he used it (think the Michigan and BC games, in particular, or one of the regular season Seton Hall games).

Anyway, it's water under the bridge. It isn't Jenkins fault that he went out and did what the coach told him to do, that's to his credit. I just didn't happen to enjoy watching it, I didn't think it was particularly good basketball, and I am looking forward to watching next year's team with 3 guards who are all willing passers.

Back