Daniss Jenkins

The point I was making was guys who watched a lot of Iona the year before talked about how Daniss & Clayton shared point guard duties and the ball whereas with SJU Daniss was clearly ball dominant. Had nothing to do with whether he was a good player for us (he was) or his shots but the author seemed to have the seasons reversed with this comment - Where Jenkins was a ball-dominant guard at Iona, he got more accustomed to sharing the ball-handling duties among his teammates at

He's no Devion Smirh, for sure.

And no question he's a 'shooter', but his APG improved 10% last year in 9% fewer MPG.

Last edited:
My eyes still work, NCJ. Unnecessary to embolden the sentence.

He's no Devion Smirh, for sure.

And no question he's a 'shootet', but his APG improved 10% last year in 9% fewer MPG.
The pretty obvious reason his APG went up was he had the ball a lot more last year because contrary to the point the author of the article made he wasn't ball dominant with Iona but was with the Johnnies (perhaps because circumstances dictated he be). Regardless, the author had the seasons backwards as far as his ball dominant comment which told me he hadn't watch a lot of Jenkins games either season.
I like Jenkins and hope he latches on to an NBA team. My comment was more about how much credence to give to some of these NBA scouting reports when many of the writers have barely seen the kids play they are writing about as their comments sometimes make obvious.

Last edited:
The pretty obvious reason his APG went up was he had the ball a lot more last year because contrary to the point the author of the article made he wasn't ball dominant with Iona but was with the Johnnies (perhaps because circumstances dictated he be). Regardless, the author had the seasons backwards as far as his ball dominant comment which told me he hadn't watch a lot of Jenkins games either season.

He shot it 5% less last year but in fewer mpg, so that's a wash.

He did not take significantly more shots last year than the year before.

The stats do not bear your point out.

13.6 FGA in 33.7 mpg in 2022-'23 vs. 12.9 FGA in 30.7 mpg for us.

He shot it 5% less last year but in fewer mpg, so that's a wash.

He did not take significantly more shots last year than the year before.

The stats do not bear your point out.

13.6 FGA in 33.7 mpg in 2022-'23 vs. 12.9 FGA in 30.7 mpg for us.
Being ball dominant has nothing to do with how many shots you take, it's how long you hold onto the ball during each possession, which was one of the main criticisms of Daniss' play last year by those watching all the games. The fact that he had both more assists and more turnovers per game in less minutes played is evidence he had the ball more than he did the year before when Iona played with two semi-point guards.
Anyway, I'm done arguing this point as I don't think it's even arguable that he was more ball dominant with Iona.

Last edited:
Not totally laughable. DJ 's APG improved 10% YOY on 9% fewer minutes.
He also shot it 5% less per game than at Iona in 2022-'23, but on fewer MPG, so that's a wash.
All-in-all, one of our better players last year and did energize our offense, despite being a bit of a 'chucker'.
The chucking wasn’t even as bad as the over-dribbling and denying every other perimeter player a chance to create or even be comfortable besides Luis — who just didn’t ever give the ball back him.

Anyone who wanted to give it up and get it back or pass up a decent shot for a better one was out of luck.

I would have signed for him taking 20 shots a game off the ball in a heartbeat. But you can’t do both.

He’ll be a better pro somewhere because there is zero chance anyone ever lets him do both again.

The chucking wasn’t even as bad as the over-dribbling and denying every other perimeter player a chance to create or even be comfortable besides Luis — who just didn’t ever give the ball back him.

Anyone who wanted to give it up and get it back or pass up a decent shot for a better one was out of luck.

I would have signed for him taking 20 shots a game off the ball in a heartbeat. But you can’t do both.

He’ll be a better pro somewhere because there is zero chance anyone ever lets him do both again.
Okay, you and NCJ make good points and watched more of more games. I turned the TV on and off a lot, lol. I concede.

I am glad Daniss Jenkins was a Johnny last year. He is a dedicated leader who prioritizes winning. Several NBA teams invited Jenkins for workouts over the past two months. They recognize his talent is worth evaluating. Jenkins never got in trouble or embarrassed the program. He worked his butt off to graduate from Iona over the summer so he could be immediately eligible at St. John's.

I am rooting for this kid to carve out a basketball career for himself. He loves the game.

He was our best player last year and we have certainly had far worse players. I do not feel how he played the first half he was not a good fit with the roster though. Personally for me If you are going to be that ball dominant you better be efficient and clearly better than rest of roster.

Thought Jenkins play was a detriment for both Soriano & Dingle plus seem to create a tug of war with Luis.

With all that being said good luck to him

With dearth of reliable scorers, DJ carried more offensive load than he should have. Could not imagine how we would have been minus him.

I don't mind critical assessments but it's gotten really tiresome.

Coaches all hype their players who have just left, trying to sell their capabilities at the next level. We could be better served by taking Rick's queu and thank DJ for rescuing a sinking season and root like hell for his future.

With dearth of reliable scorers, DJ carried more offensive load than he should have. Could not imagine how we would have been minus him.

I don't mind critical assessments but it's gotten really tiresome.

Coaches all hype their players who have just left, trying to sell their capabilities at the next level. We could be better served by taking Rick's queu and thank DJ for rescuing a sinking season and root like hell for his future.
Agree. And Pitino was singing Daniss praises at Iona and after he left Iona. It’s been consistent. I have not heard Pitino say anything about the other players who left. It’s genuine praise.
Daniss took more shots early in season because Dingle took a long time to adjust, Ledlum three was spotty and he was getting stuffed going to basket, Luis had shin splits and hand injury. Some one had to shoot as seconds ran down and hit from outside to relieve defensive pressure off Soriano.
Without Daniss we finish at bottom in Big East.

I was sure that after we did not make the NCAA Tournament and opted out of the NIT that it would be mercifully the last I heard of Daniss Jenkins unless I visited Greece or Puerto Rico to take in a basketball game. And yet, like the Ghost of Christmas Past, still he haunts me. Quoth the Lawman, Never More.

I was sure that after we did not make the NCAA Tournament and opted out of the NIT that it would be mercifully the last I heard of Daniss Jenkins unless I visited Greece or Puerto Rico to take in a basketball game. And yet, like the Ghost of Christmas Past, still he haunts me. Quoth the Lawman, Never More.
I can’t remember a month ever going by here without a thread having multiple Alpha Bangura posts. Ever.

So you might want to buckle up.

What I would give to see you stuck in an elevator with Daniss and Shaka

What I would give to see you stuck in an elevator with Daniss and Shaka
Three men enter. One man leaves. It won't be
Without him last season, the Johnnies would have finished in the bottom three or 4 in the league with a probable loss to Georgetown
It certainly would have forced Pitino to do things differently. Whether the result would have been better, worse, or about the same we will never know. Happily we are on to bigger and better things now.

Back